Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old June 8th, 2009, 10:42 AM
Familiar Face

Default Anybody afraid of swine h1n1 flu?

Is this the only cruise ship with this problem?

'More suspected swine flu found on Pacific Dawn cruise ship
The cruise ship Pacific Dawn has been diverted to a remote north Queensland cay after three new suspected cases of swine flu were reported.
NSW chief health officer Dr Kerry Chant said 54 of them were associated with the Pacific Dawn cruise ship,'
Sponsored Links
Old June 8th, 2009, 11:06 AM
Cruise Maniac

I am a waitress I have to touch peoples plates and silver ware and I wash my hands a lot. But I alsways have done that. Because Its jsut what you have to do. I dont want anyones germs and now its even worse. But i just keep washing hands and I use the antibacterial gels too. Keep your hands cleand and dont touch your face. What can we all do.? Just be smart it will be okay.
Old June 8th, 2009, 12:18 PM
Admiral

C.G. is absolutely correct. It's a concern, but don't get obsessed with worrying about it. Use common sense, and wash your hands, and you'll be just fine.

Ken
"SKY"
Old June 8th, 2009, 09:13 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to cutiecat Send a message via Yahoo to cutiecat

I'm not. At all.

Wash your hands, don't lick handrails
*Carnival: Victory 5/13~5/20/2012; Glory 3/13~3/20/11, Freedom 7/26~8/2 09; Destiny 10/30~11/3 '08, 3/2~3/9 '08; Victory 4/15~4/22 '07; Valor 3/5~3/12 '06; Holiday 7/31-8/4 '04; Imagination 6/24~6/29 '02 *Celebrity Equinox 5/14~5/24 '10 *RCI Brilliance OT Seas 6/10~6/22 '08 *Regal Empress 6/16~6/18 '05
Old June 8th, 2009, 10:00 PM
Cruise Maniac

You can wash your hands and that is all fine and dandy, but theres sooooo many people who just hack and cough and sneeze all over the place without covering their mouths. It's airborne

03/30/2009 ~ Carnival Ecstasy
09/14/2008 ~ Carnival Legend
03/2008 Carnival Victory
09/2007 Carnival Elation
06/2007 Carnival Liberty
09/2006 Carnival Ectasy
12/2004 Carnival Conquest
Old June 9th, 2009, 06:04 AM
Passenger

I washed my hands, didn't lick any handrails, and still was diagnosed with swine flu after a cruise on the Carnival Destiny in April! But, it is just another strain of flu, it wasn't even the worst flu I have ever had. And, my 9 year old also had it, but my 7 year old and my husband (also on the same cruise) never contracted it.
Old June 9th, 2009, 03:09 PM
Admiral

There is a product on the market now that you spray on your hands and it kills viruses as well as bacteria. It is called HandClens. I got mine from Magellan's. I still believe that hand washing is the most important thing you can do, but sometimes that isn't entirely possible, like in Mexican restrooms. So, I like having this. Small enough bottle that it can fit in a pocket.
Marty
Old June 9th, 2009, 08:02 PM
Passenger

I think the flu is media hype. I know people who live in Mexico in the mission field and they say that on the average only one person in a household gets it. It is not as contageous as made out to be. I would be careful, but not any more contageous than a cold.
Barbara

Pride 10/03
Triumph 5/04
Triumph 4/07
Splendor 4/0
Dream 5/10
Old June 9th, 2009, 09:52 PM
Passenger

We just returned from a cruise on another cruise line (not Carnival) and my daugther got sick on the third day and they told her that she had swine flu and had to stay the rest of the trip in her cabin. Her husband got sick a day or two later but they said he had a bacterial throat infection. My husband then got sick at the end of the trip and they told him he had the flu as well (said it was influenza A). Neither my son nor I (so far) have gotten sick.

We felt that either there were sick people on the cruise right before us and they did not clean the ship properly, or sick people came on board and spread it around.

There were only two doctors on the ship and they constantly complained they were overwhelmed with sick passengers. They kept telling us that we were the only people affected by the flu but then kept saying they had so many sick people they couldn't keep up. We wonder if they cover up a lot so that they do not lose any sailing time (and revenue).

We had sailed quite a few times before and this was something we never experienced but we learned a lot about how it feels to be sick onboard a ship and nothing that you can do about it.
Old June 9th, 2009, 11:57 PM
Passenger

Fifteen of us just returned from a cruise on Carnival's Imagination June 1 - June 5. Five of us have now confirmation of the flu (as of today, Tue 8th). Two of us traveled home with the flu on Friday, my best friend's husband and myself started coming down with it Sat p.m. and my best friend (wife to the other one with the flu) started feeling ill this afternoon. My brother and his son (the two who felt the effects Friday while traveling home) went to the Dr. on Saturday and doc said it's the usual variety flu. My best friend's hubby went today to Dr and got the same results. I suspect I've got what they've got.

But you know, between traveling from SDF to CVG to PBI and staying in a public hotel, eating in public eateries for two days, renting a public rental car, spending an hour in a cruise terminal with hundreds of people, five days on a cruise ship with thousands of people, visiting Key West while docking with other ships and corresponding and trading monies with the locals and then doing the same in the bahamas, and of course the public rental car back to PBI and flying into ATL and then into SDF, there's no way of knowing where we got it... Just part of traveling I guess. And my family claims I'm OCD about hand washing and germs.

My theory is if you're gonna get it -- the swine or regular flu or strep or whatever -- you're gonna get it! I've raised three girls, all have had the flu or strep etc from time to time and allowed them to snuggle up in bed with me when they were sick and never once got it from them. But I can walk into WalMart and come home with strep six months later.

I won't let something like swine flu keep me from traveling. I'd take my chances. If I do indeed have the regular flu right now, which is supposed to be worse than the swine flu, then I'm okay; I don't feel well but this is day three and I'm starting to feel over the hump... At least the chills 'n fever are gone. The flu I have was still worth the travel experience!
Old June 9th, 2009, 11:58 PM
Passenger

Default Five out of Fifteen of us cruising Carnival Imagination sick

Fifteen of us just returned from a cruise on Carnival's Imagination June 1 - June 5. Five of us have now confirmation of the flu (as of today, Tue 8th). Two of us traveled home with the flu on Friday, my best friend's husband and myself started coming down with it Sat p.m. and my best friend (wife to the other one with the flu) started feeling ill this afternoon. My brother and his son (the two who felt the effects Friday while traveling home) went to the Dr. on Saturday and doc said it's the usual variety flu. My best friend's hubby went today to Dr and got the same results. I suspect I've got what they've got.

But you know, between traveling from SDF to CVG to PBI and staying in a public hotel, eating in public eateries for two days, renting a public rental car, spending an hour in a cruise terminal with hundreds of people, five days on a cruise ship with thousands of people, visiting Key West while docking with other ships and corresponding and trading monies with the locals and then doing the same in the bahamas, and of course the public rental car back to PBI and flying into ATL and then into SDF, there's no way of knowing where we got it... Just part of traveling I guess. And my family claims I'm OCD about hand washing and germs.

My theory is if you're gonna get it -- the swine or regular flu or strep or whatever -- you're gonna get it! I've raised three girls, all have had the flu or strep etc from time to time and allowed them to snuggle up in bed with me when they were sick and never once got it from them. But I can walk into WalMart and come home with strep six months later.

I won't let something like swine flu keep me from traveling. I'd take my chances. If I do indeed have the regular flu right now, which is supposed to be worse than the swine flu, then I'm okay; I don't feel well but this is day three and I'm starting to feel over the hump... At least the chills 'n fever are gone. The flu I have was still worth the travel experience!
Old June 10th, 2009, 02:08 PM
Passenger

I understand what you are saying about being exposed and can get this no matter what. I am surprised though that the ship did not report your cases to the CDC. Maybe they had but you were told differently from us. Our daughter could not leave her room after our second day at sea. We (husband, son and I) were told we had to wear paper masks off the ship and all the way home.

When we were not confined to our rooms, saw loads of people just hacking or sneezing into the air. I realize this happens everywhere. But in our case, the doctors just kept complaining they were overwhelmed with sick passengers. They even told my husband "we are telling people unless you are dying, don't come to see us". So this means that some people tough it out on their own, or worse, go out and about on the ship while sick and spread it around.

They had a large group of people from Puerto Rico who were celebrating the 15th birthday celebrations. There were 40 girls, plus all of their families. One person told us early in the cruise that the cruise lines make a lot of money by sponsoring these parties so we had a hunch that some of the people from that group were probably also sick but that they didn't restrict them as they did us because they were spending big bucks onboard.

We got a lot of conflicting information throughout the cruise. As you said, when you are exposed anywhere you go, you run the risk of catching something. But now we know that if you do get sick onboard the ship and many others are as well, the level of medical care you can get is marginal.

I read another comment where a woman said she never goes into a hotel room or in her ship's room without first wiping everything down with Cholorx wipes. I think from now on I will do the same. So far, my son and I were the only ones who didn't get the flu. We were truly worried that we would start getting sick as we were flying out! I did a lot of praying we would stay well at least until we walked back in the door at home!

Hope all of you are feeling better!
Old June 10th, 2009, 02:13 PM
Admiral

I'm not sure how the ship's doctors could possibly have the time or facilities to determine what kind of flu anyone gets. Viruses are notoriously hard to identify.
I personally still have concerns about this particular strain because viruses mutate incredibly fast. Not biting my nails over it, just cautiously doing a wait and see. Won't keep me from traveling, but I will be more proactive about hand washing.
Marty
Old June 11th, 2009, 08:26 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to cutiecat Send a message via Yahoo to cutiecat

Quote:
Originally Posted by givepa
I washed my hands, didn't lick any handrails, and still was diagnosed with swine flu after a cruise on the Carnival Destiny in April! But, it is just another strain of flu, it wasn't even the worst flu I have ever had. And, my 9 year old also had it, but my 7 year old and my husband (also on the same cruise) never contracted it.
I didn't mean no one would get it. I just meant not EVERYONE will get it and that the media has indeed blown it up.
*Carnival: Victory 5/13~5/20/2012; Glory 3/13~3/20/11, Freedom 7/26~8/2 09; Destiny 10/30~11/3 '08, 3/2~3/9 '08; Victory 4/15~4/22 '07; Valor 3/5~3/12 '06; Holiday 7/31-8/4 '04; Imagination 6/24~6/29 '02 *Celebrity Equinox 5/14~5/24 '10 *RCI Brilliance OT Seas 6/10~6/22 '08 *Regal Empress 6/16~6/18 '05
Old June 11th, 2009, 02:23 PM
Admiral

cutiecat,
I think that it is more a matter of people not understanding what the media is reporting. Or, sometimes, the media not understanding and not researching enough. WHO just raised the world to a level 6, highest rating, meaning we are officially in a pandemic. What that means is that the virus is not containable. It is everywhere now. That does not mean that it will kill you if you get it or that you will get it. They are not looking at it from an individual's point of view, but from a much broader perspective. Also, the term pandemic has nothing to do with the number of cases or severity, but with the pattern of cases. We have been in a full AIDS pandemic state for some time now. That doesn't mean that any individual is necessarily at risk, just that it is out there and be aware and cautious. Pretty much the same as this flu. And, it can potentially mutate into a form that is much more lethal. So, please don't ignore it or blow it off as media hype. No need to panic either, but let's all keep our common sense hats on....and I hate hats!
Marty
Old June 11th, 2009, 06:24 PM
Passenger

I agree with that. This is a whole different sceanrio. This flu is truly nasty, and loads of people are out there sick spreading it around.

As I mentioned, we have traveled extensively and have never gotten sick like this. We took the normal precautions like washing your hands, but that is not enough. I think it is important to understand that. I know the person who said not to lick the handrails was being funny, but honestly this is really something that is not media hype and should be considered carefully. We knew about the growing epidemic and decided to travel and to use precautions to try to keep healthy but it was not effective for all of us.

If the cruise lines turn over your room quickly and there was a sick person in your room before you, chances are that they did not sanitize it properly. The way that our family members got sick makes us wonder if sick people slept on the decorative pillows or bed pillows and they were never removed from the room and clean ones put in. You can do all the handwashing and use hand sanitizer you want, but if they did not wipe down the light switches, remotes, bathroom area and such, plus did not completely strip the bed and replace all of the linens and pillows, then you may get exposed.

This was a first for us, but it was quite an experience to have our family members get sick and have the doctors say they were overwhelmed. I have seen lots of people onboard a ship with sea sickness, food poisining from eating off the ship and such but never this.

We had travel insurance but that did not help us be able to get off the boat. They blocked us from being able to leave even though we asked to get home by medical plane. I hope to never experience this again and wish safe and healthy traveling for all of you.
Old June 12th, 2009, 10:34 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Snoozeman Send a message via Yahoo to Snoozeman

The sky is falling.

Because I live in an isolated area and not exposed to people I tend to catch a 'bug' when traveling. Doesn't stop me from traveling though. I also do a little extra cleaning of my stateroom when I arrive. A little caution is always good, but I believe this H1N1 deal is overblown.

My Personal Cruise Blog: My Cruise Blog

Future Cruises:
Carnival Dream-Caribbean-7/13/2014, Carnival Triumph-Caribbean-7/28/2014, Carnival Legend-South Pacific-8/30/2014, MSC Preziosa-Mediterranean-10/25/2014, MSC Fantasia-Mediterranean-11/2/2014, Navigator of the Seas-12/14/2013, Norwegian Jewel-1/3/2015, Emerald Princess-1/11/2015, Carnival Freedom-2/2/2015, Carnival Freedom-2/15/2015.
Old June 12th, 2009, 10:50 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Ro

I was under the impression that they had to send a sample out to test if they think one actually has this swine flu. How the heck could they look at you on a ship and say you have it without ever testing a sample to say it is that and how can they do the testing in that short amount of time.

Inspiration-2004, 2005, 2009
Glory- 4/26/2009
Sensation -4/2007, 10/2009
2/2010 & 11/3/2011
Old April 8th, 2011, 07:33 AM
Welcome Newcomer

Default Handsanitizer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kseltzer View Post
Is this the only cruise ship with this problem?

'More suspected swine flu found on Pacific Dawn cruise ship
The cruise ship Pacific Dawn has been diverted to a remote north Queensland cay after three new suspected cases of swine flu were reported.
NSW chief health officer Dr Kerry Chant said 54 of them were associated with the Pacific Dawn cruise ship,'
If you are afraid of having swine flu you should start using protective equipment such as Respirator, gloves, Handsanitizer etc. In short you should prevent from viral germs and bacteria.
Old April 9th, 2011, 06:35 AM
First Mate

A 2 year old thread rises from the dead.....
Old April 9th, 2011, 08:51 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Cruznut2 Send a message via Yahoo to Cruznut2

This must have been written before they had the H1N1 vaccine. I just get a flu shot every year. No problems ever.

Laura
“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.“
---Mark Twain

Old April 9th, 2011, 09:07 AM
Administrator
Admiral

I think someone really likes Hand Sanitizers.

Actually, hand sanitizers aren't the answer. Hand washing is the answer. Hand sanitizers kill bacteria but aren't effective on virus'.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old April 9th, 2011, 10:42 PM
Admiral

I wash and use sanitizers as much as possible but I can't dwell on what life may bring .
Old March 20th, 2012, 01:41 PM
Familiar Face

It seems like I'm always seeing a story on the news about some type of outbreak on a cruise ship. That's one thing that does kind of scare me. It makes sense that an airborne virus could spread easily among a crowded cruise ship and it could be difficult to contain or quarantine. I guess that's why it would be good to get medical and evacuation insurance just in case it happens to be your ship. And obviously wash your hand often.
Old March 20th, 2012, 07:53 PM
First Mate

I got immunized for H1n1 but then contracted H1N3 about a year ago. Had 104.2 fever. Thought I was going to die. Finally got into the doctor and was given Tamiflu. I did not catch this while on cruise ship. It was going around locally. I am now not scared of getting either as I should have immunity to both..

I suggest you get immunized.

CarnivalTriumph
Old March 20th, 2012, 07:58 PM
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to Phil&Liz

Quote:
Originally Posted by bguppies View Post
A 2 year old thread rises from the dead.....
And yet again.
And as with the thread about Carnival telling the pax their son will die w/o travel ins , the Better safe than sorry thread,and the Please suggest Insurance thread, alll from 2011, NevilleJ woke them up !

The problem with socialism is that you eventually run out of other people's money. Margaret Thatcher

Never take an idiot travelling, you can always pick one up when you get there. Billy Connolly

I Didn't Come here and I ain't Leaving.
Willie Nelson

9/01/2013 Carnival Legend
2/16/2014 BC 7

Bill Murray
20 years ago we had Johnny Cash, Bob Hope and Steve Jobs. Now we have no Cash, no Hope and no Jobs. Please don't let Kevin Bacon die.

Last edited by Phil&Liz; March 20th, 2012 at 08:08 PM.
Old March 21st, 2012, 11:31 PM
Admiral

Phil&Liz-- I agree and wonder why this person NevilleJ has spent so much time going through year old posts to revive them. There seems to be several he / she has spent time gong back to re-awaken.
Heck, even I don't have that much time on my hands.

Last edited by Ron; March 21st, 2012 at 11:37 PM.