CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Carnival Cruise Lines (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/carnival-cruise-lines/)
-   -   21st Birthday on Carnival (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/carnival-cruise-lines/366216-21st-birthday-carnival.html)

ydnica July 16th, 2009 12:37 AM

21st Birthday on Carnival

I'm going on a 7 day cruise in august. I'll be boarding the ship at the age of 20 and turning 21 mid week. I understand that Carnival has some policy that won't let you buy drinks if you board while underaged, but my parents and friends will be with me! Isn't there some type of exception? Couldn't i just go to the pursers desk with ID and have them alter my sail and sign card so that I can buy drinks? I would really like to order champagne or something during my birthday dinner.

asmith91303 July 16th, 2009 08:22 AM

The first cruise I went on I was only twenty. I was with my future husband and in-laws. I had no problem being served alcohol. At first my husband (boyfriend at the time) was buying them and then giving them to me but soon enough I was using my own card to buy them. I know it sounds bad but it's not like serving to a teenager. I think you will have no problem getting champagne for your birthday, at least I hope not. Cheers to a happy birthday and great vacation.

flordianative July 16th, 2009 09:14 AM

I would not serve you till your 21. Nothing toward you or anything, but laws are laws. If a car cost 23,000 and you only have 22,000 you cant buy it. That is how it goes. *comment edited*

lv2b@sea July 16th, 2009 11:34 AM

I found this on RCCL website. Maybe all cruiselines do the same...

Please note:An individual's age on the date of sailing determines his or her status for their cruise vacation. However, if a guest celebrates their 21st birthday during the cruise, the guest may thereafter ask the Guest Services Manager to modify ship's records to permit their consumption of alcohol during the remainder of the cruise. The guest will be required to appear at Guest Services with his or her parent or guardian and to present a government issued form of identification to establish that the guest's 21st birthday was celebrated during the cruise.

colorcrazie July 16th, 2009 02:09 PM

Can we stay away from politics, please?
Marty

asmith91303 July 16th, 2009 07:44 PM

I am sure I was not the first person under twenty one to be served. I was just trying to give hope that she could toast her birthday with her friends and family. Also, Am I the only one who has seen teenagers drinking on ships? FYI we were being responsible when I was being served alcohol and I was only a few months shy of twenty one. Marty your probably right that we should stay away from politics but I felt like I needed to defend myself.

ydnica July 16th, 2009 11:07 PM

Thanks for the awesome replies! Being able to drink isn't that much of a priority for me (I'm not your typical college student haha), but I would like a traditional 21st birthday toast without the carnival staff causing a fuss simply because I boarded while 20! Besides, I think the drinking age in port is 18. Again, thanks!

Luanne Russo July 17th, 2009 02:29 PM

Yes, with Carnival, go to the pursers desk, and show proof.

The same goes for turning 18 on the cruise, and the desire to gamble.

Happy Early Birthday!!

Luanne

llb July 17th, 2009 02:58 PM

When in Aug do you sail? I sail on Liberty 8/22. If you're on my ship, I'll toast with you :wink:

ydnica July 17th, 2009 11:34 PM

I'll be sailing on the 15th! :D