Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old August 11th, 2009, 01:28 PM
Welcome Newcomer

Default Any Suggestions for Jamaica and Cayman Islands

We will be porting in porting in Ocho Rios on our 10th Anniversary - can anyone give me any suggestions to celebrate - on or off ship? We have cruised the last few years but not to celebrate... Favorite shore excursion for either port? Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Old August 11th, 2009, 02:26 PM
Familiar Face

If you don't mind being in the water with Sting Rays, I would highly advise taking the sting ray tour in Grand Cayman.

Jeff
Old August 11th, 2009, 03:55 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

You can take some island tours that will include Dunns River Falls, Fern Gulley, Rosehall Plantation, and shopping. You can do this off the ship, as wll as onboard...Negotiate off the ship, and get others to go in as well, for a better price...

And in the Caymans,while I have not done it, the Stingray City tours are very popular...

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old August 11th, 2009, 04:20 PM
First Mate

In Grand Cayman, it is definitely a Sting Ray City excursion.
(preferably a non-ship one. The one's offered by the ship, jam a coupole hundred people on a boat, while the non-ship one's have 15-30 people per boat.)
I have personally gone with Nativeways.
Going in January with Stingray Sailing...

I'm sorry your anniversary is in Jamaica.
Ocho Rios is the only port we have been to so far that we absolutely did not like at all.
90% of the ship's excursions all wind up at Dunn's River Falls. (so needless to say, it will be packed)

The only excursion we heard raves about that night at dinner and after, was the Mystic Moutain ski tram, bobsled excursion....

Whatever you do, DO NOT just get off the ship to explore on your own.
I refused to believe all the stories about how much the locals will bother you and literally follow you to get you in their shop, cab, etc...
(We always heard the same crap about Nassau and we always have a great time in Nassau.)
So we got off and tried to walk into town to look in a few shops and maybe check out a restaurant.
We did not get 1 block, before we got harassed by at least 10 different people for their various things.
We wnet to one shop and had enough and went back to the Freedom to enjoy a day poolside, watching Iron Man on the big screen.

We will NEVER book another cruise to jamaica.
If we get rerouted there due to weather, it will become another sea day for us.

Bill
Sept. 18, 2010 -
Sept. 19, 2009 -
Inspiration - Jan. 10, 2010- Grand Cayman, Cozumel
Freedom - February 8th, 2009 - Key West, Grand Cayman, Ocho Rios Jamaica
Glory - September 8th, 2007 - Key West, Cozumel, Progresso, Nassau
Sensation - Freepor-Nassau
Jan. 28th, 2007 -
Sept. 10th, 2006 -
Old August 11th, 2009, 04:23 PM
Cruise Maniac

IF you are looking for a relaxing day at the beach I would suggest a day pass to sandals. We really enjoyed it. ONce you get there you don't have to worry about anything because the drinks and food are included and since it's a resort you don't have to worry about people bothering your things. You can also use there non-motorized water sports in case you want to snorkel or anything.
Old August 12th, 2009, 11:50 AM
Welcome Newcomer

Thanks for the great suggestions - I am disappointed that we will be in Ocho Rios for our actual anniversary though too!

Is the Sandals resort is Ocho Rios the one you are talking about? Do we book that throught the ship or on our own?
Old August 12th, 2009, 02:01 PM
Captain

dont get discouraged about Ocho. Its a great place. Granted you do get hit on by the locals to buy their goods but stick to the beaten path and you will do fine. Carnival has their recommended stores so stick to those if you feel the need. You can wander into the nearby craft stalls and look around but the sellers are agressive. They wont harm you or anything like that. Just keep saying no and when you get tired of it just leave. They are generally good people trying to make a buck. Enjoy your big day!
1999-Paradise
1999-Sun Princess
2002-Pride
2004-Pride
2006-Pride
2008-Valor and Glory
2009-Spirit and Splendor
2010-Freedom of the Seas and Mariner of the Seas
2010-Carnival Spirit
2011-Carnival Dream
2012-Allure of the Seas and Navigator of the Seas
Old August 12th, 2009, 10:07 PM
Admiral

I like Jamaica and have walked around plenty, no problem Mon!

It is a beautiful country.

Yes, vendors may try to sell you something - they understand No Thank You and you keep walking.

Here are some pictures from my last walkabout:

http://www.zydecocruiser.com/free_08/thu.htm

On that page, you'll see a picture with the names of a bunch of private tour companies / people. You can try contacting them to see what they offer.

Also a taxi price list.

There is a private beach you can pay a little to enter.

I walked through an open air flea market and actually lived to tell about (it was no big deal).

The Sunset Jamaica Grande offers an AI package. It is much cheaper than Sandals, but then, isn't as nice, either.
http://www.sunsetjamaicagrande.com/

Dunn's River Falls will be crowded, but there are lots of other places they can take you.
Old August 13th, 2009, 12:09 AM
Admiral

When in Jamaica I enjoyed the Black River Crocodile safari.
Grand Cayman is boring outside of the water. A couple of years ago I did a Jeep tour which was fun. In the past I also visited the turtle farm.

Read and post cruise reviews

Read and post cruise reviews
/ticker.png">
Old August 13th, 2009, 01:12 AM
Cruise Maniac

In Jamaica go the the Couples Resort San Souci. It is an all-inclusive resort for couples only, no children. It costs $50.00 each for a day pass and it is a wonderfully romantic place, I am sure you will enjoy, we did.

Grand Caymen.....The Sting Ray advernture is supposed to be nice. We were going to do this when we were there but they had to cancel because of rough seas!
Carnival Triumph Feb 09
Island Princess coming in Nov. 2009

Old August 13th, 2009, 04:36 AM
Passenger

Default Stingray in Caymans.. check out our pics and video

here is some pics and video of us on stingray tour, picked a huge stingray up and gave it a kiss.. they are amazing animals..

http://www.cruise-simple.com/stingraytours.html
Old August 14th, 2009, 10:56 AM
Passenger

We did this cruise in late July/Early August.
Jamica:
We throughly enjoyed the trip to Dunns Falls and the afternoon at the Bamboo Beach club. You sit on the beach in lounge chairs while they bring you jerk chicken and other foods, acohol and non-alcoholic drinks right to your lounge chair on the beach. They have dancers on the beach for you to watch if you get tired of the beautiful beach and ocean. Very decadent. And highly recommended.

Grand Caymans:
You have to do the Stingray tour. It's one of the best experiences you will ever have kissing a stingray, holding a in the wild stingray. Very cool.

I couldn't find a private or through Carnival a tour to Hell and the stingrays that you didn't have to go to the turtle farm. You can get a trip to hell. You can get a trip for the Stingray's but if you want to do both you have to go to the turtle farm.