Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old August 15th, 2009, 11:24 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to cherylroy
Default Isle Rotan

Was looking on the website - we are going here in January. Have been on MANY carribbean cruises - first time to this port. Doesn't seem much to offer. Any suggestions on what to do? What excursion - or otherwise? Thanks for the input.
Old August 15th, 2009, 12:44 PM
Admiral

The snorkeling is usually great at Tabyana

http://www.zydecocruiser.com/valor_06/RO/ro_1.htm

Carnival's new pier will be opening later this year, so maybe they are still figuring out the excursions from it?
Old August 15th, 2009, 01:15 PM
Admiral

I did a best of tour of the island through the cruiseline. Lots of fun.
Took a harbour boat tour out to some ship wrecks, visited Marble Hill Farm ( hybiscus jelly) and saw some locals do a dance.

Read and post cruise reviews

Read and post cruise reviews
/ticker.png">
Old August 15th, 2009, 07:32 PM
Beginner

HI. We went to Isla Roatan several years ago and I remember it as the most beautiful beach! We did the Island "sampler" excursion, a glass bottom boat type ride, a visit to the "town" where some people did a dance and actually got my sullen son to join in! After, we were encouraged to shop at the market, but our guide volunteered to walk us down to her friend's beach... Just a short way and we were at a totally deserted idyllic beach. the water was turquoise and crystal clear....there were little thatched structures where we could escape the sun. there was a beautiful breeze from the water and my kids enjoyed playing there. I enjoyed just relaxing in paradise!.....ahhhh.
Old August 15th, 2009, 11:33 PM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via AIM to ara0926

Hey Cheryl!

Hope you are doing well!

When I went to Roatan 2 years ago we did the Monkey/Birds/Pirates excursion. It took us to Gumbalimba Park which was great. Well the Money/Bird part was fun but the Pirate stuff was cheesy! If you do this take the earliest time so you can enjoy the beach there.

Next month we are doing the Tabayana beach excursion. We heard, from everyone it was an amazing beach with some of the best snorkeling they had ever experienced. I cannot wait to go!

What ship are you sailing!

Take Care my friend!
Ashley
Carnival Glory 2010 St. John NB Canada
Carnival Legend 2009 Western Caribbean
Carnival Spirit 2009 Alaska
Carnival Splendor 2008 Exotic Eastern Caribbean
Carnival Sensation 2008 Nassau
Carnival Inspiration 2008 Cozumel
Carnival Glory 2007 Western Caribbean
Elation 2006 Eastern Caribbean
Old August 15th, 2009, 11:40 PM
First Mate

we did the garafuna and mangrove tunnel excursion. Informative but not much else, unless you want to see the poor ,litter strewn areas of the island. I would not leave the pier area on my own, this country very poor. My son did the swim with the sting rays and it was the best. This side of the island is more affluent and much cleaner. he also had time at Tayabana beach and loved it also.
2004 "Glory"
2004"Victory"
2007 "Liberty"
2007" Explorer of the Seas
2009 "Valor"
2009 "Fascination"
2011 " Pride"
2014 "Adventure of the Seas"
Old August 16th, 2009, 12:53 AM
Passenger

W0W, zydecocruiser, loved your pictures!!

Old August 16th, 2009, 12:13 PM
Admiral

My oldest son and I just grabbed a taxi for a few hours (we were not in port long) to the West "something or other"...and walked around.

We had lunch etc. It is nice.

The taxi stays with you. Best as I can remember it was $20 per person for the entire time.

If it is Carnival and it floats....we have sailed it!

Hubby ... DIAMOND (every ship except the Carnivale)
Me ... DIAMOND (every ship starting with the Tropicale)
20 year old son ... DIAMOND (every ship starting with the Tropicale...he is the only DOUBLE Milestone under the age of 21)
24 year old son ... DIAMOND
Old August 16th, 2009, 02:24 PM
Passenger

We were there on June 17, 2009. We didn't book anything but was told we could visit the strawmarket only a half mile away from the ship. We tried to go, but was hounded outside the pier with 10 or so people wanting to take us on a tour of the island. They wouldn't tell us the price and said they would tell us when we got back. Needless to say, we didn't do it. After we got rid of them we had children approach us for money, then saw soldiers on the street with machine guns. We got a little nervous after that and returned to the ship. Our dinner mates did tell us the beach at Tabayana was wonderful and they loved it. Also, others liked the monkey farm. Next time, we will book an excursion through the cruise lines. Hopefully, our experience will be much better. Have fun!
Carnival Valor June 14, 2009 (Grand Cayman, Honduras, Belize & Key West USA)
Old August 16th, 2009, 06:03 PM
Captain

We've been to Roatan several times and love it, probably because we do mission work on the mainland of Honduras but also because it's a beautiful island.

Our favorite thing is to go to Tabayana Beach and get a massage on the beach, enjoy a beverage or two, snorkel and just while away the hours.

Tabayana is about a 30 minute drive and the roads are usually in varying stages of disrepair so we just book the beach tour through the ship. It is only a few dollars more than taking a taxi, includes lunch and you are assured of getting back on time. We are very inclined to skip ship excursions but there is no good reason to go it alone to Tabayana.
This will sound silly, but the buffet at the beach has the best almond tea. Crazy thing to remember but several others I've talked to said the same thing.

Enjoy your time in Honduras.

MB