Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old September 3rd, 2009, 12:27 PM
Administrator
Admiral

I do believe that losing a bit of your reputation still means something. On this thread and others it has been said or insinuated that the family were drunks, their child may have been drunk, , the kids were running wild onboard or someone in the family did some other "dastardly" deed onboard. The child being drunk was the one that I didn't like. (How many pictures have we taken when someone blinks and they look terrible?)

The reputation that is hurt the most in this situation is Carnival's. I think many people will have some second thoughts about cruising Carnival based on this incident.

Without the power of the Internet this incident would have never been made public and would have become an "Urban Cruise Legend".

None of it made sense.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old September 3rd, 2009, 12:38 PM
Admiral

I'm still not buying in. Pictures from Day 1 and Day 3. What about pictures from day 9?

The family obviously drank - there can be no denying that.

Carnival still hasn't given their side and I doubt they will, but to decide a case based on one side of the story is absurd.
Old September 3rd, 2009, 01:02 PM
Admiral

I didn't say the child looked drunk--- I said the child in the second photo half in the floor and half on the dresser looked a little odd--I still say he does. Maybe he was drunk and maybe not but it's still an odd looking photo, especially with 2 glasses of wine in front of him.
I still figure there's another side to the story and once again, the Cruise line, unwilling to face harsh criticism, has folded up under pressure.

Did the cabin steward " throw the family under the bus "--I doubt it. It's always the steward that gets the blame from everything from theft to assault. Much like the old movies wherein the Butler always did it.
Obviously something damaged the dresser. The gouges looked new-- what would the steward be doing that caused multiple gouges on the edge--hit it with the end of a vacuum cleaner??---Hardly. The damages appear to have been caused from some type of downward blow.Bumping it with a vacuum handle wouldn't have caused that.
Obviously we'll never know, as Paul Harvey would say, " The rest of the story " simply because Carnival lacks the b#lls to hold their ground.

I can fault Carnival in one of two ways--First, if they had a case, stand by it regardless of the publicity. They would have gained more respect in the long run . Secondly, if they had no case, then let it go and not make any issue at all.

Old September 3rd, 2009, 01:22 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter

It's funny how we all get conditioned to see certain events. I'm not saying I know what happened, I am just putting out two scenarios and asking which one seems more likely.

Option #1

The room steward convinced the Hotel Director and Captain to get so upset about the marred desk that they decided to ban the guy. But Miami decided to overrule them.

Option #2

There is more to the story, but Miami still overturned the ban because of the media spotlight. But it would have held up if no one had made a big deal out of it.

They realized marring a desk is not enough to ban someone, but it was the best concrete reason they could make publicly. This put the cruise line is put in the position of either sticking with the marred desk reason, or further incriminate the guy. But they chose not to go there because it would mean having to prove their case in the media.

It's like getting Al Capone on tax evasion. But this guy did not have Al Capone's reputation, so they couldn't go further without better proof, something they did not want to do in the court of public opinion.

Take your pic of possible options.

Old September 3rd, 2009, 01:33 PM
Admiral

Send a message via MSN to Dave the Wave Send a message via Yahoo to Dave the Wave

From the ST Pete Times today. This guy lives on the beach here.

http://www.tampabay.com/news/busines...atches/1033323

Read and post cruise reviews

Song of America Dec '90
Starship Majestic May '89
Sovereign X 5
Majesty Jul '01
Enchantment X 4
Regal Empress Dec '02
Sensation '04
Mariner May '07 April '08
Grandeur Feb '08
Inspiration Oct '08
Radiance of the Seas Oct '10
Old September 3rd, 2009, 08:19 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Motter
It's funny how we all get conditioned to see certain events. I'm not saying I know what happened, I am just putting out two scenarios and asking which one seems more likely.

Option #1

The room steward convinced the Hotel Director and Captain to get so upset about the marred desk that they decided to ban the guy. But Miami decided to overrule them.

Option #2

There is more to the story, but Miami still overturned the ban because of the media spotlight. But it would have held up if no one had made a big deal out of it.

They realized marring a desk is not enough to ban someone, but it was the best concrete reason they could make publicly. This put the cruise line is put in the position of either sticking with the marred desk reason, or further incriminate the guy. But they chose not to go there because it would mean having to prove their case in the media.

It's like getting Al Capone on tax evasion. But this guy did not have Al Capone's reputation, so they couldn't go further without better proof, something they did not want to do in the court of public opinion.

Take your pic of possible options.
Only one side has mentioned a marred desk. We don't know for sure why the banned letter in the first place.

We don't know if the pictures posted represent the total amount of damage, if they were banned for damage.

I think that the Hotel Director and not the Captain signed the letter may be one reason for Carnival to overturn the ban, whatever the original cause.

Posing a kid in front of two glasses of wine and holding a bottle opener/corkscrew is not the most responsible parenting, me thinks. If the kid isn't drunk, I think he is simulating it.
Old September 3rd, 2009, 08:49 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by zydecocruiser
I think that the Hotel Director and not the Captain signed the letter may be one reason for Carnival to overturn the ban, whatever the original cause.
You know, I thought it odd that the signatures were the same. You are correct, the Captain didn't sign it, rather the Hotel Director signed it for the Captain. In the service we had "by direction" authority for some people to sign for the Commanding Officer. They paid a price if they screwed something up. I wonder if the same happened here? Did the Captain even know about it?