CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Carnival Cruise Lines (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/carnival-cruise-lines/)
-   -   Overboard Carnival Passanger picked up by Disney Wonder (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/carnival-cruise-lines/367649-overboard-carnival-passanger-picked-up-disney-wonder.html)

glenda55 September 3rd, 2009 12:09 PM

Overboard Carnival Passanger picked up by Disney Wonder

Just saw this..
http://www.travelweekly.com/article3_ektid202700.aspx

Mike M September 3rd, 2009 12:31 PM

It was a great job by the Disney crew and I am glad that the Carnival passenger is alive and well.

The one thing I keep envisioning and can't get it out of my head is the image of Donald, Hughie, Duey and Louie swimming out to save him. LOL

A nice ending to a man overboard story.

Take care,
Mike

Cruznut2 September 3rd, 2009 12:39 PM

Mike your description did make me giggle. thanks for the laugh. You are right it is a nice ending to a possible tragedy.

Laura

Nothin but blue skies September 3rd, 2009 04:13 PM

I am glad he was rescued. I was reading one account on-line and thought the last line was kind of funny. The guy jumped from his own cabin's balcony. The woman passenger said he threatened to jump and she said "go ahead" so he did. Next thing heard was him screaming "help, help." He must have changed his mind about halfway between the ship and water line, huh?

Dave Beers September 3rd, 2009 04:47 PM

Good thing he was in a Cat 12 suite. At least he didn't have far to jump before hitting the water.

Is it too much expect for the cruise lines to obtain the names of jumpers and issue industry-wide bans on their ever booking another cruise? I expect Carnival, and perhaps Disney have red flagged this guy's name, but what about the other lines?

green_rd September 3rd, 2009 05:12 PM

The guy survived 90 minutes in the water. Not too bad. Hopefully he'll get a big bill from the Mouse.

I've never understood the logic of "do this or I'll hurt myself"

misguidedangel September 3rd, 2009 08:52 PM

I wonder what happened to Goofy in the rescue......

Man, when will people ever remember if they want to jump ship, do it when you dock at the port on debarkation day!!!!

Ron September 3rd, 2009 11:05 PM

Hmmm-- wonder that since he apparently was trying to commit suicide and was prevented from doing so by the interference of Disney and crew if he can sue Disney ?? :wink: :wink:

green_rd September 4th, 2009 07:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ron
Hmmm-- wonder that since he apparently was trying to commit suicide and was prevented from doing so by the interference of Disney and crew if he can sue Disney ?? :wink: :wink:

A wrongful life suit?

spacewoman September 4th, 2009 09:11 AM

my husband and I both say if this keeps going on the lines will be placing plexiglass on the balconies and it won't be worth booking a balcony cabin anymore. I guess the crew of the Wonder won't need to practice rescues next time they're in port!

BobMiller September 4th, 2009 01:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spacewoman
my husband and I both say if this keeps going on the lines will be placing plexiglass on the balconies and it won't be worth booking a balcony cabin anymore. I guess the crew of the Wonder won't need to practice rescues next time they're in port!

Maybe they could just put large nets out from the lower part of the ship. Then just leave the jumpers in them until they reach the next port and refuse entry back onto the ship.

Ron September 4th, 2009 10:18 PM

Naw, the nets won't work. That would just entice some to climb down into the nets for a night of romance! Then the others who did flop their arse overboard would just climb around on the nets til they could jump from the nets into the water-- and too some might get tangled up and hang themselves in the netting--- then the cruiselines would be in for a lawsuit. :shock:
It'll be the enclosed thing--no open deck space at all. RCCL will be in trouble when they start making their interior cabins with balconies that open onto the Promenade--can you imagine 5-600 people milling about in the Royal Promenade when some drunk flops off his interior balcony and splatters all over the gold-by-the-inch table ???
:shock:

Chris64 September 8th, 2009 08:25 AM

I just hope they send the idiot a bill for the rescue!