Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

View Poll Results: Which Tour in Cozumel ?
ATV JUNGLE 5 25.00%
Chankanaab Marine Park 10 50.00%
ISLA Pasion By Twister 5 25.00%
Voters: 20. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old September 27th, 2009, 02:21 PM
Familiar Face

Default PLEASE Cozumel and progresso Excursions HELP ME CHOOSE !!!!

I have asked before but i have narrowed my choices. We want to do the ruins but not 7 hrs. we have 2 boys who are gonna be on ship and my mom will be there but we just don't want to be gone 7 hrs.

in progresso we have decided to do Dzibilchaltun and horse show and buffet has anyone been on this one, how was the food and the show. Good details but just gen info. they also have the same tou 30 bucks cheaper , just no buffet or horse show. Also how are the ruins were they nice or just one building ?

in Cozumel i have 3 choices - ATV jungle Adventure, Chankanaab marine park and Isla Pasion by Twister. Please Vote and tell me which one and give a few details

Read and post cruise reviews

Carnival Conquest 9/14/ 2003 - Western Caribbean

Carnival Conquest 12/09/2007 - Western Caribbean

Carnival Triumph 12/07/2009 - Western Caribbean

Carnival Sensation 12/12/2010 - Bahamas

Carnival Legend 06/02/2015 - Alaska !!!
Sponsored Links
Old September 27th, 2009, 11:37 PM
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to Luanne Russo

WE loved the twister boat, and the beach and food was very good.
Conquest 2006
Conquest 2007
Ecstasy 2008
Valor B2B 2008

Conquest Virtual Cruise Topic Link
Old October 6th, 2009, 10:55 PM
Beginner

I just back from Progreso on the Fantasy cruise of Sept. 19. There is
a tour agency on the pier that offered a stay at a private resort for
the day and visiting the ruins (Xcambo) for $45.00. The tour agency was Autoprogreso Tours. It was awesome. Our guide
knew we wanted a lot of time at the beach, so we did a quick tour
of the ruins - only about five minutes from the resort, Reef Club. The price included all you could eat or drink at the resort. The resort was gorgeous and the staff very attentive. Two large swimming pools or the beach - all for your enjoyment. I would highly recommend this tour. It is one you can book from the ship but it is $20/pp cheaper on the pier.
Old October 7th, 2009, 02:53 PM
Admiral

Re. Progresso, I would suggest the tour to Merida. Progresso itself doesn't have much to offer, at least that we could find.
Marty
Old October 9th, 2009, 12:52 AM
Admiral

I would do Chankanaab. Both that and Isla Pasion have kids areas if you your kids are old enough, but Chankanaab keeps you somewhat immersed in the Mayan culture and I believe there is is a Mayan show if you are there at the right time, and Isla Pasion is a private island. Both are about the same price so I am going to give you a link to their official sites so you can see for yourself. Keep in mind that Tulum is not the only ruins site, and you do not have to book through Carnival. Right on Cozumel is San Gervasio Mayan Site. Entrance fees range from $5-$15 per person. I would consider combining San Gervasio with Chankanaab. If you choose Chankanaab you can just go on your own and not worry about booking through the cruise line. San Gervasio and Chankanaab both close at 5 pm island time. In addition to the park sites, I am including a cheaper alternative to booking through Carnival, and either way you will easily make it back to the ship in time if your ship leaves out in the evening. I would try to include your kids if possible, as it will definitely be enriching for them to see Mexico. If they need passports, I recommend the passport card. The Passport service is processing those fairly quickly now, usually ahead of the estimated date of arrival. Just some thoughts I though I would share.

http://www.isla-pasion.com/all-inclu...r-cozumel.html
http://www.cozumelparks.com/eng/parks-chankanaab.asp
http://www.cozumelinsider.com
Old October 9th, 2009, 01:09 AM
Admiral

I forgot to mention that if you choose Chankanaab or Isla Pasion, you will need biodegradable sunscreen to swim. In Mexico, it is against federal law to use non-biodegradable sunscreen in the ocean.

Also, the reason I didn't recommend the ATV Jungle Adventure is it seems overpriced to me. I have done my research, but do not have experience yet. I at least gave you some excellent options, some of which you may not have known about. The independent operators tend to have more options available than the cruise line does.
Old October 9th, 2009, 08:06 AM
Familiar Face

Quote:
Originally Posted by brad813
I forgot to mention that if you choose Chankanaab or Isla Pasion, you will need biodegradable sunscreen to swim. In Mexico, it is against federal law to use non-biodegradable sunscreen in the ocean.

Also, the reason I didn't recommend the ATV Jungle Adventure is it seems overpriced to me. I have done my research, but do not have experience yet. I at least gave you some excellent options, some of which you may not have known about. The independent operators tend to have more options available than the cruise line does.
Thanks so much i find this very detailed ! I didnt know that suncreen came in biodegradable or non ? i only wear sunsreen if i will be direct sun alot and b/c my skin complexion is brown so i dont burn ! but thanks so much i will check out these sites. Also could you tell me what type of activites are on the Isla Pasion ? can you snorkel or or kayak?

Read and post cruise reviews

Carnival Conquest 9/14/ 2003 - Western Caribbean

Carnival Conquest 12/09/2007 - Western Caribbean

Carnival Triumph 12/07/2009 - Western Caribbean

Carnival Sensation 12/12/2010 - Bahamas

Carnival Legend 06/02/2015 - Alaska !!!
Old October 9th, 2009, 10:14 AM
Admiral

I don't know about kayaking but I believe both Chankanaab and Isla Pasion both offer snorkeling. Biodegradable sunscreen is a specialty item available online for around $8-$10. Depending on where you live you may also be able to find it locally, but most of the stuff you will find at stores is the chemical stuff.
Old October 9th, 2009, 02:43 PM
Admiral

Definitely yes on snorkeling at Chakanaab. I've done it. But, the ruins on Cozumel, called San Gervasio are a replica. Might still be interesting, but the actual ruins were wiped out in a hurricane a few years back. Not the same at all as Tulum. Even when it was the actual ruins, it was a small place. The Mayans did not live on Cozumel. The buildings were to shelter young women who had a rite of passage. At a certain age, they would paddle a canoe solo from mainland to Cozumel. I don't know anything about the exact rituals, but the trip was supposed to grant them fertility.
Sadly, Tulum is too long a trip to do in one day from Cozumel. The cities where the Mayans actually lived are amazing. Chichen Itza probably the most dramatic, as it really is the size of a small town by today's standards! Tulum was a military look out post, as it is on the coast in a position that allowed them to see anyone approaching by water from any direction. But, their culture is fascinating...at least to me, in case you couldn't tell!
Marty
Old October 9th, 2009, 02:52 PM
Admiral

There is a site an hour or two west of Tulum called Coba that is still being excavated that was a city and former trade center of the Maya. I would suggest trying to find the Berlitz Cancun and Cozumel pocket guide at a local bookstore. For such a small book it has tons of information on the area.
Old October 10th, 2009, 02:29 PM
Admiral

Unless the poster can find a tour out of Progresso, the Mayan ruins are too far to go in one day, especially since port days can be fairly short. You have to take a ferry from Cozumel to the mainland, then a bus to the ruins, then reverse. If the cruise line offers it, it might be worth doing, since they at least care about whether you make it back to the ship on time or not. But, I would NEVER try to arrange this on my own. Too many things can go wrong. Had the ferry break down once and the only reason the ship was still there was because it was one of their tours.
Marty
Old October 10th, 2009, 03:09 PM
Admiral

I agree with Marty on that you should not be cutting it close. However, I also believe in shopping around for the best option for you. If you are going to Tulum or Coba, it would be a full day trip regardless of how it is booked. As far as ruins outside of Progresso goes, I am not familiar with the times on those. From what I have been able to find out the nearest archaeological sites to progresso are Uxmal and Dzibilchaltun. Unfortunately, I am not all that well versed in Mesoamerican Archaeology to help you with making good choices there.