Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

View Poll Results: How was your Toddler Cruising Experience?
More Relaxing than expected 3 60.00%
Less Relaxing than expected 2 40.00%
Toddler Loved it 0 0%
Voters: 5. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old October 16th, 2009, 11:56 AM
Passenger

Default Cruising With Toddlers

Long-time Carnival cruiser, getting back into cruising now that my toddler (3) is old enough to make crusing a good vacation option. Going on the Splendor on 11/29/09. Son has been in pre-school since he was a year old, so I am sure he will take to Camp Carnival well, but looking for input from people who have cruised with toddlers with carnival. Some major items of interest are:

A. Home Sickness (Major problem???)
B. Food (Enough items to keep toddlers eating?)
C. Babysitting Options (Is this a good experience for the toddlers? Don't want to just dump my son just to party, but would like the option a few nights.
D. Things to bring that I should add to my list for packing
E. If there is a problem, how does Camp Carnival get a hold of you on the ship?
E. Any other input

Thanks in advance.

P.S. I have done 6 cruises out of Long Beach and live in LA. If anyone has any questions I can answer let me know.
Sponsored Links
Old October 19th, 2009, 12:07 PM
Admiral

When we start cruising with the boys...the youngest was in the 2 - 5 age range at Camp Carnival. He is also a special needs child.

He did fine. He was still in Pullups and (just like with diapers) I made sure he had several pair in his bag.

As you know, if the child is not potty trained...they can not swim in any of the pools...not even with Swimmies.

Camp Carnival is open on Sea Days from 9-12 (they close 2 hours for lunch). 2pm - 5 pm ?? (they use to close 2 hours for dinner...but now I understand that they feed the kids some nights) If they close for dinner, they will reopen from 7pm - 10pm. And all of this is included in the price of your cruise.

Babysitting for a fee starts at 10PM - 3AM. It is $6 for the first child and $4 for additional children. We used this service many times and the boys were both fine.

Port Days - Camp Carnival does not close during the day because some parents go on ship excursions and leave the children at Camp Carnival.

Now our boys are 21 and 18....so it has been awhile since we used Camp Carnival.

From what I understand....they have either pagers or "cell phones" so that if they need you...you are only a beep away.

If it is Carnival and it floats....we have sailed it!

Hubby ... DIAMOND (every ship except the Carnivale)
Me ... DIAMOND (every ship starting with the Tropicale)
20 year old son ... DIAMOND (every ship starting with the Tropicale...he is the only DOUBLE Milestone under the age of 21)
24 year old son ... DIAMOND
Old October 22nd, 2009, 12:47 AM
First Mate

Send a message via AIM to cruisecouple

1. 3 year old who has already been in daycare or preschool will adjust perfectly.

2. If he's used to napping at a certain time, keep the routine.

3. As soon as you get on board, go to the dining room and see if they can have a fruit and cheese platter waiting for your son. Our granddaughter loved this the first time the waitstaff brought it out and they had it waiting for her each night.

4. If he wants mac and cheese every night, let him have it - he's on vacation.

5. Do the build a bear workshop. We missed it and wished we hadn't.

6. I hope he's Mr. Personality and joins in the talent show - no matter what his talent.

7. Watch your drinking - nothing worse than being intoxicated parents. (by the way we're not old fuddie grandparents - we actually have temporary custody of our granddaughter)

8. DON'T dump him at CC each night. Have your own slumber party and order room service.

9. Be sure to let him bring his favorite toy, blanket, etc. from home.

10. If you don't have a DVD portable player, now is the time to get one. We bought a 10.5" off of QVC and it's the best and came with all the accessories. Bring his favorite movies.

11. The bottom line is have a good time and don't forget swimmies if he's not a good swimmer.

PS: Please don't get impatient with your son on a cruise. Maybe it's just a hug he needs. Cruising can be tiring...No matter what make sure he eats a good breakfast. Our granddaughter can almost survive until dinner if she has a substantial breakfast. She loves pancakes!

Old October 22nd, 2009, 11:01 AM
Passenger

Thanks to everyone so far for their tips! Keep them coming. Much appreciated.
Old November 20th, 2009, 01:20 AM
Familiar Face

Our boys loved CC. the oldest never wanted to leave ! we are going in December our boys are 4 and 8. The 4yr old has Autism and he did great on the first cruise he was 2 1/2. He did great cried a little but there is so much to do ! i never had complaints about him except he would not sit an participate! He is more active now and not potty trained quite yet and he is still busy so i hope he won't get kicked out ! ! but they gave us a pager never had to call us though , we also did the slumber party pf course he was hopping around but went to sleep later. but both our kids have been at a young age ( 2 ) and they loved it ! the only complaint i had was the closing for meals and the activities some time me and my husband would have to leave in the middle of something to go get the kids. some times we would just keep them with us , but used the camp alot after dinner and late nights

Read and post cruise reviews

Carnival Conquest 9 / 2003

Carnival Conquest 12/9/2007

Carnival Triumph 12/7/2009