Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 10th, 2010, 12:11 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to cherylroy
Default do I continue with carnival?

OK - I'm platinium with carnival. Do I continue with carnival - or do I try the Royal Caribbean? Oasis - or other? Whats the difference? Price? Style? Food? My motto is why fix what is not broken which is why I continue with carnival - but............ curious about other ships? Esp ones that go out of N.O cuz I don't have to fly!!! However...........been to cozumel, etc so much..........want to try others. Feedback please!
Old January 10th, 2010, 12:44 AM
First Mate

You need to look at what is on the other side of the fence. We have been on over 40 cruises with cruises on all of the main line cruises and each will offer you something different.If you bought a chevy every year how would you know whether ford offered a better car?
Old January 10th, 2010, 12:46 AM
Captain

The only other choice out of New Orleans is NCL, which Im not really interested in. I know I dont want any time dining for one thing.

I love Voyager out of Galveston, which probably isnt that far to drive to for you if you can drive to New Orleans. There are deals so its not that much more than Conquest, so I try and mix it up. I was trying to get to platinum on Princess, but they pulled out of Galveston.

I will turn platinum on Carnival this year, making up for lost time since the other cruiselines pulled out of Galveston.

The food on Princess imo is better than Carnival's and RCL ships are prettier, so there are things to enjoy about every line. Why be so loyal to one line, they don't care about you.
Old January 10th, 2010, 11:38 AM
Admiral

I know what you mean about getting tired of going the same place over, and over, and over. We're in the same situation here in Tampa, because the ships out of here only go "West". I'd advise you to give some of the other lines a shot if you're so inclined. I personally don't like the "BIG" RCI ships, but I really do enjoy the smaller Royal ships. I quit doing NCL when they started the ALL Anytime Dining thing. I simply don't like anything other than traditional dining. Having said that, if you don't mind the dining arrangement, then IMO NCL is a good cruise. We've done CCL almost exclusively in the last few years also, because, as you said, if it ain't broke, don't fix it! I always enjoy our Carnival cruises, but will sail the others if I find something that looks good to me.
Have a GOOD one!

"SKY"
Old January 10th, 2010, 11:48 AM
Admiral

Cool

If want a change . Why not drive or fly to Orlando and take the Freedom of the Seas
to the Easter and Western Carib as one B2B cruise. She leaves from
Port Canaveral(about 1 east of Orlando)8)

Ships Sailed:

SS Ithaca , Volendam , Mariner of the Seas (x2) , Veendam , Coral Princess , Island Princess (x3) , Emerald Princess,Sapphire Sapphire (x3),Diamond Princess
Old January 10th, 2010, 12:10 PM
Administrator
Admiral

I have found no cruise line's incentive/repeat passenger program is enough to make me want to exclusively cruise with them. I base my decision on itinerary and the cruise line.

I have done cruises on almost all of the major cruise lines and there is a difference and those differences can be positive.

I love NCL and Freestyle cruising. Royal Caribbean does offer an innovative product and Carnival has a "fun" atmosphere and good food.

Other lines such as Celebrity, Princess and Holland America have beautiful ships a more restrained atmosphere (which can be a good thing) and interesting itineraries.

I personally would become very bored sailing the same cruise line and itineraries.

It is really worth it to try other lines. You will find things that are better and perhaps worse than Carnival plus you will expand your cruising and travel world.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old January 10th, 2010, 03:20 PM
First Mate

I've been to the same islands again and again like many other posters, but I book the "ship", not so much where it sails. I love the entire cruising experience, and its nice to stay on board in port sometimes and enjoy spa specials or the less crowded pool areas.

If you want to try a new itinerary to see new places, you should expand and try a new line. I love Princess and the newer larger RCCL ships, not so much a fan of NCL.
CARNIVAL BREEZE 1-13-2013
Old January 10th, 2010, 03:26 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

Speaking for myself only, I cannot imagine cruising only one line...to me that would be like eating or wearing the same thing every day. The incentive to have brand loyalty, has disinigrated over the years, and I like experiencing "new" decor, public places, cabins, etc....A great deal on a new line, can beat another cruise on the old standby in my book..jmho

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old January 10th, 2010, 03:52 PM
Admiral

If Carnival had something above Platinum, we would be there. But, it is not brand loyalty or anything like that. We have tried many other cruise lines and when we shop for a cruise, we look at ship size, ports, price and how convenient it is to get to the ship. We live in Florida, so we have lots of options. And, better than 50 % of the time, we end up booking Carnival. We just like it. Think that NCL's entertainment is better, but don't care much for free style. And food varies by cruise line, by ship, and by each individual cruise. Did the Legend last year....very displeased with the food. Went again this year, because it fit our recession budget and the food was outstanding. Best I've had anywhere in a long time.
So, I would never come up with a standard approach. Part of the fun is making a new decision every time.
Marty
Old January 10th, 2010, 05:27 PM
Admiral

I would never stick with one cruise line for the "perks" they offer in their loyalty programs.

We have only cruised Carnival because our 18 year old son with Autism is comfortable there. (and as folks may know...change and Autism do not get along )

We are hopeful that one day he will feel comfortable branching out....but until then.....we are just thrilled that we have found a cruise line that gives us so much for our vacation dollar.

Carnival has always been fabulous with him and now everyone knows him when he is on the ship.....they treat him like family!!

And our son feels so comfortable on board....it is like he gets to be a "normal" kid for a week.

That's better than any loyalty perk!!!

If it is Carnival and it floats....we have sailed it!

Hubby ... DIAMOND (every ship except the Carnivale)
Me ... DIAMOND (every ship starting with the Tropicale)
20 year old son ... DIAMOND (every ship starting with the Tropicale...he is the only DOUBLE Milestone under the age of 21)
24 year old son ... DIAMOND
Old January 10th, 2010, 07:57 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

lhp......that's the best reason ever....and, how wonderful of the crew to make it a perfect fit for your son!

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old January 11th, 2010, 04:35 AM
Captain

Personally, I would like to try every cruise line that services the U.S. That being said, In reality, we probably never will until my rich uncle gets out of the poor house

Variety is the spice of life! As someone else said, how do you know that you like Carnival best unless you have something to compare it to?

It might be worthwhile to take two shorter cruises back to back say a carnival and a RCI as an example to really be able to compare.

New Orleans would be a shorter drive for me too, I wish they had better itineraries though.

Caribbean Princess 07
Carnival Valor 08
Carnival Holiday 08
Carnival Triumph 09
Island Princess 09
Carnival Miracle 10
Norwegian Pearl 11
Norwegian Sun 13
Independence of the Seas Feb 14
Carnival Splendor Feb 2015
Carnival Sunshine Feb 2016
Old January 11th, 2010, 08:28 PM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherylroy View Post
Ö.My motto is why fix what is not broken which is why I continue with carnival

I think you may have already answered your own question.

Quote:
Originally Posted by big apple View Post
If you bought a Chevy every year how would you know whether Ford offered a better car?

Because Ford didnít take a Government hand (bail) out! Sorry, I just could leave that one hanging there!

Old January 11th, 2010, 09:56 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to cherylroy

OK - I must be doing something wrong. I didn't see any of these answers!! Thanks so much for your replys!! Your the bestest!