Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 25th, 2010, 02:37 PM
Admiral

Question best sail-away ports of embarkation

What is everyone's favorite port to sail away from. I'm not factoring in air transportation issues, or the staff, or even the queue to board, simply how lovely or interesting that port is to leave from.
My votes:
(1) New York ( Manhattan) Is there are city center more spectacular than Manhattan? The skyline, the Empire State building, Statue of Liberty, Ellis Island, Coney Island, and going under the Verrazano Narrows Bridge. Passing by the site of the World Trade sure put a lump in my throat.
(2) Old San Juan...more European than Caribbean . The city walls...El Morro fortress, San Cristobal...that lighthouse at the very tip of the island as we departed. Old world ambiance at it's best.
(3) Vancouver...Canada Place is a fascinating structure...going under the Lion's Gate Bridge...Stanley Park on the port side.
(4) New Orleans...ship leaves from the historic tourist area. Passing by the Chalmette Battlefield where the War of 1812 was fought. Much to see on both sides of the "Old Man" going downstream.
Who Dat gonna beat dem Saints Super Bowl...finally !!
(5) Mobile...ship leaves from the historic city center... Fort Conde across I-10.. Some interesting shipyards on the way out to sea...some big big ships in drydock.
(6) Fort Lauderdale...love those condo/apartment towers that are near the channel as ships goes to sea. Can wave hello to locals on their balconies.
(7) Miami...simular to Fort Lauderdale
( 8 ) Seattle....a lovely city...Space Needle...Mount Rainer in the distance.
Too bad my cruise ( Oosterdam in 2004) was docked out at the freight yard, and thus I could see very little of the beautiful area. The only thing worth a photo was a ship from China unloading cargo. The skyline of Seattle appeared only briefly and from a distance, then nothing but sea from then on out.

Read and post cruise reviews

/ticker.png">

Last edited by Thoth; January 25th, 2010 at 02:41 PM. Reason: wrong word used
Sponsored Links
Old January 25th, 2010, 07:35 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

My Faves are: San Juan..Love the forts, and the iconic sentry guard staions.

Lauderdale and the condo's make for a fun send off..one time when the ship blared the horn, all the car alarms went off in the condo parking lots...lots of scrambling going on

St Thomas...love the ships line up, and, all the ritzy resorts..

Does anyone remember the confetti sailaways..? I think we had one of the last ones;(

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old January 25th, 2010, 08:01 PM
Cruise Maniac

I remember a sail-a-way from NYC to Bermuda with confetti, etc. That was a memorable cruise. Also, when we drove friends to NYC pier in late 70's and were allowed to go onto the ship for a bon voyage party. Those were the days!
Old January 25th, 2010, 09:43 PM
Admiral

San Francisco is my favorite. It's fun to pass under the Golden Gate Bridge and the sourdough bread in SFO is the best. Youtube video of the Mariner of the seas going under the bridge.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X5ecp...eature=related

Plus you have the Sea Lions that hang out at the dock at fishermen's wharf or take a precruise trip to Alcatraz island. Need to go shopping pop on BART (Bay Area Rapid Transit) and head to Union Square.

At the Christmas time Union Square has great decorations. Including these guys. Every year at Christmas time Macys gives the SPCA a couple of windows to help homeless cats and dogs get adopted. What other port does all that?

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994

Last edited by katlady; January 25th, 2010 at 09:52 PM.
Old January 26th, 2010, 01:25 AM
Admiral

Since I joined the cruising world too late, I missed out completely on those famous confetti send-offs. Much the pity.
The Love Boat always left Los Angeles with a huge confetti party.
Oh I'm sure San Francisco does make a memorable embarkation port as well, with the Golden Gate Bridge and the skyline.

/ticker.png">
Old January 26th, 2010, 08:22 AM
Admiral

No confetti for me either. No shooting clay pigeon soff the back of the ship. No people who aren't guests on board ship to send you off. That one would have been cool. New Orleans or New York city sound like fun places to start a cruise.

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994
Old January 26th, 2010, 08:28 AM
Admiral

My favorite isn't listed, but it's TAMPA. GREAT fun sailing under the SkyWay bridge.
Second would be Ft. Lauderdale, with the folks in the condo's blowing air horns, and waving.

"SKY"
Old January 26th, 2010, 10:52 PM
Admiral

Well, I've only said from two ports, one was Port Canaveral and the other Tampa. I really enjoyed going under the Skyway Bridge. The bridge is beautiful at night and it looks like you just will not make it. Lots of people on deck all cheering when we did go under.
http://photos-h.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos..._7614814_n.jpg

Need some cruise help?

Last edited by Floridanamaw; January 26th, 2010 at 10:55 PM. Reason: added photo
Old January 28th, 2010, 01:48 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to cutiecat Send a message via Yahoo to cutiecat

I've never seen a confetti sailaway~that would be so much fun!

One of my favorites was embarking in San Juan~if you could fit the liquor you bought in the port shop in your carry~on you could take it with you. Made for a very alcohol cheap cruise And the sailaway party was a blast as well
*Carnival: Victory 5/13~5/20/2012; Glory 3/13~3/20/11, Freedom 7/26~8/2 09; Destiny 10/30~11/3 '08, 3/2~3/9 '08; Victory 4/15~4/22 '07; Valor 3/5~3/12 '06; Holiday 7/31-8/4 '04; Imagination 6/24~6/29 '02 *Celebrity Equinox 5/14~5/24 '10 *RCI Brilliance OT Seas 6/10~6/22 '08 *Regal Empress 6/16~6/18 '05
Old January 29th, 2010, 12:00 AM
Admiral

Thumbs up honeymoon in Mediterranean

Quote:
Originally Posted by cutiecat View Post
I've never seen a confetti sailaway~that would be so much fun!

One of my favorites was embarking in San Juan~if you could fit the liquor you bought in the port shop in your carry~on you could take it with you. Made for a very alcohol cheap cruise And the sailaway party was a blast as well
I see from your cruise-clock that you are going to Mediterranean on your honeymoon.
Congratulations on your upcoming marriage....or new marriage...or second honeymoon whatever the case may be. ;-)

/ticker.png">
Old January 29th, 2010, 01:03 AM
First Mate

1. NEW YORK CITY: Although not tropical in the least, which is why cruises appeal to me, sailing down the Hudson River in NYC (despite the murky water) and past all of what NY has to see from the river itself is worth the price of admission.

2. TAMPA: Once you get out of the channelside area and the site of the oil and gas tanks, the view becomes quite scenic and relaxing. Yes, the view sailing under the Sunshine Skyway Bridge is not to be missed either.

Old January 29th, 2010, 10:01 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

CAn't beat sailing out of San Juan, passing the fort, just something special about it. Unfortunately, its always a later sail away, so its dark.

Ft. Laucerdale is pretty special too because of the condo's, they truly send you off in style.

Message Boards Moderator
Old January 29th, 2010, 06:31 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Cruznut2 Send a message via Yahoo to Cruznut2

San Juan was fun. We sailed away from there at 2:00AM aboard Festivale all the ships in the port were lit up and the bands were playing. Very festive and fun.
I also enjoyed Ft Lauderdale on Carnival Liberty. The people in the condos waving as we passed.
Miami is always fun as there are always other ships leaving at the same time everyone is having a great time.

Laura
“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.“
---Mark Twain

Old January 29th, 2010, 06:54 PM
Admiral

We like Galveston. It's a destination unto itself and the cruise port is right downtown. We try to go a few days early or stay a few days after the cruise as an "extra" trip !

"A truly happy person is one who can enjoy the scenery on a detour."

Carnival Inspiration 2002 Carnival Elation 2004
Grand Princess 2004 NCL Sun 2005
Sun Princess 2006 NCL Dream 2007
Caribbean Princess 2007 NCL Dawn 2008
Island Princess 2008 Island Princess 2009
Golden Princess 2009 Carnival Conquest 2010
Grand Princess 2010 Island Princess 2011
Grand Princess 2011 Carnival Magic 2012
Carnival Dream 2012 Island Princess 2013
Carnival Magic 2013 Carnival Legend 2014
Sea Princess 2014