Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 8th, 2010, 09:38 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Gifts from TA's!!?

We changed TA's for this cruise. Our TA we had for years has retired. So we chose a popular cruisemates cruise planner this cruise. I was just wondering do all TA's give great gifts to the cruisers who book with them?? Our old TA gave us champagne in each cabin plus chocolate covered strawberries. Free picture coupons. etc.... Just wondering.. It wont ruin our crusie but it was always so cool to have gifts waiting in our cabins when we would get there. Happy cruising.............
Sponsored Links
Old March 9th, 2010, 07:29 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

I'm always happy with a good price and a extra or two and great service. IF there is a little gift, that is a plus. May-be you will have a little suprise when you get to your cabin.

Message Boards Moderator
Old March 9th, 2010, 09:43 AM
Admiral

With my current TA, I don't normally have anything at sailaway, but I did receive a couple of expandable totes, and a nice zippered document holder.

The sailaway gifts are very nice, but I realize that they aren't free. I use my TA for her services, and they are the best! To me, that is much for important.
Mariner of the Seas

HAL Statendam Alaska Cruise Tour - 09/09/12; Disney Magic - 12/01/12; Allure of the Seas - 05/26/13
Old March 9th, 2010, 10:17 AM
Administrator
Admiral

I don't consider a TA good just because they send a bottle of wine. The WORST TA I ever used sent us a bottle of wine and champagne. Whoopie. She lied to us about being able to get a lower price when the price dropped. Didn't answer questions and knew little about cruising.

It was many years ago and I knew little about how cruising and pricing worked but now I know that this TA should not have been selling cruises and a couple of cheap bottles of wine didn't make up for her incompetence and laziness.

My current TA may give us onboard credit (depending on the cost of the cruise) but never a bottle of wine. I could care less. She delivers service and a competitive price. That's what I want.

If you really want some wine and goodies. Take the money you save and send some to yourself.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old March 9th, 2010, 12:56 PM
Familiar Face

Hmm, what do people use TAs? I thought the purpose of using a TA was in the event you didn't know what you were doing? I always book directly from carnival.com.

Old March 9th, 2010, 01:09 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

Quote:
Originally Posted by optize View Post
Hmm, what do people use TAs? I thought the purpose of using a TA was in the event you didn't know what you were doing? I always book directly from carnival.com.
Well, in my view, that's not at all the reason you book through a TA. Booking directly with the cruise line is a way to make sure you're paying top dollar.

And if a problem arises you're asking an employee of the cruise line to go to bat for you against the people who pay them. Not a likely scenerio for satisfactory resolution in your favor.

To the original poster's question -- when cruise prices were higher it was very common place practice for TAs to send wine, champagne, or whatever as a Bon Voyage Gift.

These days it's really only common if the TA has booked you into group space they have, where they've earned amenity points from the cruise line to spend on that on that sort of thing (with the cruise line actually footing the bill).

Or, there are sailings where the cruise lines offer "incentives" such as that for individual bookings.

If those aren't the situation, and a TA is paying for the wine, champagne, chocolates etc then you can be assured that you are paying for it in your cruise fare... so you could be paying less without it, and deciding for yourself what you'd like to spend those $ on.
- The Kuki Side of Cruising-
A new Blog post every Wednesday
http://www.cruisemates.com/blog/author/kuki/
Old March 9th, 2010, 04:54 PM
Cruise Maniac

Thanks Kuki. Thats all I was asking is was it common practice to gift customers or was it jsut the TA we had for many years. I understand that I want the best prices of my cruise and the gifts are just a perk. We all enjoy our cruises so much. This isnt our first cruise. I just wanted to get some input. Guess I should have just waited and see when I get on the ship.
Old March 10th, 2010, 04:31 PM
Admiral

We too, get GREAT prices from our T.A., and an occasional O.B.C. What more could you ask for?

"SKY"
Old March 11th, 2010, 10:25 AM
Cruise Maniac

I have only booked a few clients, I send gifts for special occasion cruises. I sent a happy anniversary cake to one couple and Carnival's stuffed animals to a family traveling with their two small children. I usually just try to offer my clients all the resources I can get to them regarding their ship/destinations and the best cabin for their needs, and to occasionally go to bat for them with the cruise line. I have also had bad experiences with other TA's...hence why I got my license now. lol

Read and post cruise reviews

Booked :razz:
NCL Sun - November 2011
Disney Dream - December 2012 *Honeymoon*

Cruised
Monarch OTS - June 2010
Carnival Triumph - January 2010
Carnival Glory - April 2007
Carnival Inspiration - July 2006
NCL Star - April 2003
Carnival Sensation - April 1998
Old March 11th, 2010, 04:14 PM
First Mate

Default Using a TA

The first time the TA dis not spell our names right, the second time they did not include the insurance. We deal straight wit CCL pvp enjoy
boB
Old March 12th, 2010, 02:44 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to misguidedangel

I used a TA for my milestone birthday on the Splendor last year. I went all out and booked a spa suite on the Splendor, and I didn't have anyone else with me--very expensive for a solo cruise. I didn't care, it was kissing my 30's goodby and saying hello to 40! My TA made a very healthy commission on that booking. I did have a bottle of spakling wine and two water bottles in my cabin. You're thinking it was from my TA, but NO, it was from John Heald (he also was kind enough to pass on the details to the maitre'd so I got a decent table..and I did...).

Sometimes, for those who prefer using a TA, their knowledge and quick, efficent service is what we use them for instead. I like the TA I am using because she is happy, positive, and willing to help whenever I have questions!

I've had bad TA's too, you know the ones--the more you spend the mre attention you will get from them......

1991 Holiday
2007 Victory & Triumph
2008 Conquest & Liberty
2009 Valor, Freedom, and Splendor
2010 Glory and Liberty
2011 Glory

I gotta go where it's warm.....

Over 40 victim of fate.....
Old March 12th, 2010, 03:50 PM
Admiral

I agree with Sky and Kuki. I get the best price form the lady T.A. I deal with--get (usually ) an O.B.C. so what else could I want? When I e-mail or call, she gets back to me. When I ask about a cruise, I always know the ship, itin., date,etc.. I'm looking for so I don't waste her time and in turn, I get the best price and service.
I'm happy with mine and hope she is in business for many more years to come.
Old March 12th, 2010, 04:01 PM
Admiral

Shop around and get the best possible price. If you like goodies waiting for you in the cabin, order them yourself, that way you have saved money, and you get something you actual want. I do like the onboard credit I have received that from a travel agent, but as Kuki and others said I most likely paid for it in my cruise price. Good luck, Mike
Old March 12th, 2010, 06:02 PM
First Mate

My TA hasn't given me a gift (yet) but ... I just love dealing with someone who is conscientious and takes care of requests immediately. She always gets back to me ASAP. Sad to say, that kind of customer service is becoming more and more rare, isn't it?