Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 13th, 2010, 01:09 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Isla Roatan

What does anyone who has been there know about Isla Roatan? We're planning a cruise and one option has this island on it.
Carnival Dream-Oct 2010-Eastern Caribbean
RCL Oasis-May 2010-Western Caribbean
Carnival Fantasy-April 2010-Mexico
HAL Ryndam-Sept 2009-Alaska
Carnival Holiday-May 2009-Cozumel
Carnival Celebration-April 2008-Key West, Nassau
Carnival Liberty-May 2007-Panama Canal
Carnival Miracle-Apr 2006 (1st for DH)- Mexico, Belize
Carnival Holiday-Feb 2005-Mexico
Carnival Fascination-Dec 2000-Nassau
Sponsored Links
Old March 13th, 2010, 01:39 PM
Captain

We usually go to Tanayana Beach. You can do it by cab or through the ship. I have found that the cab only saves you $5 or so, so unless you want to do something special just do the ship tour there. The beach is nice, there is a buffet on the beach - burgers, hot dogs,, grilled chicken, and this sounds crazy,, but the best almond iced tea you've ever had.
The have bars along the beach and cheap massafges under the palm trees.
Great way to wile away the day.
Old March 13th, 2010, 01:40 PM
Captain

Forgot to mention - if you are into diving then Roatan has one of the premier reefs in the world. But I figure if you were into diving, you'd already know that. Anyway, you can also rent snorkel gear at the beach and see some pretty sites.
Old March 13th, 2010, 01:42 PM
Admiral

There was a nice article about Roatan in yesterday's USA Today.

Roatan helps put Honduras back on the travel map - USATODAY.com

A Bad Day At Sea [with power] Always Beats A Good Day At Work
Carnival: Glory 2004, Destiny 2008, Splendor 2009, Freedom 2011, Valor 2012, Dream 2013
Celebrity: Summit 2011
Princess: Ruby 2010, 2014, Caribbean 2013, Coral 2014
Old March 13th, 2010, 06:10 PM
Admiral

I second the Tabyana Beach choice, beautiful beach, live music (when we were there), nice bar, clean restrooms, massages on the beach, they charged a minimal fee for the buffet...they even had a Good Humor man stroll down the beach with his cart.
Old March 15th, 2010, 11:21 AM
Admiral

We were there in November. It is a beautiful island. Mountians and beaches. We did a ship excursion that went to Gumbalima park. There is a beach there and a swimming pool also an outdoor bar. Also we did the monkey tour there where you get to interact with the monkeys and birds. Very nice tour and we really enjoyed it.

here is a link to my pix from the island and our tour.

Picasa Web Albums - Vicki - Isle of Roata...

Need some cruise help?
Old March 15th, 2010, 11:28 AM
Beginner

They have a brand new beach area that just opened for cruise passengers I believe it's owned by carnival . Very nice you can walk to it or for I think 14 dollars a person there's a chair lift that takes you there. The 14 is for all day use.
Old March 15th, 2010, 11:31 AM
Captain

Were there in Jan. and had a ball. There were 4 of us and we wanted a tour & beach. Just got off the ship and found several booth areas that were selling tours. I chose the Victor Bodden tour booth. Got a wonderful guide by the name of Frank Thomas who took us on a tour then to the Beach Club. We spent about 3 hours there and had a wonderful experience. Food and drinks were very reasonable. Beach was great here. Just had several vendors pushing their wares but once we said no they stopped coming by. Guess word got out that we were cheap! We liked it so well that we are now planning a week vacation to Isle Rotan in the future.

Read and post cruise reviews
Old March 15th, 2010, 02:47 PM
Cruise Maniac

Location: On the Lido deck of any ship taking shots of Kamakazi's with Partyanimal & Co.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floridanamaw View Post
We were there in November. It is a beautiful island. Mountians and beaches. We did a ship excursion that went to Gumbalima park. There is a beach there and a swimming pool also an outdoor bar. Also we did the monkey tour there where you get to interact with the monkeys and birds. Very nice tour and we really enjoyed it.

here is a link to my pix from the island and our tour.

Picasa Web Albums - Vicki - Isle of Roata...
Wow those are awesome pictures!!! We are going in Sept. of next year and now can't wait!!! Thanks!!

Old March 15th, 2010, 06:38 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Snoozeman Send a message via Yahoo to Snoozeman

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_rd View Post
There was a nice article about Roatan in yesterday's USA Today.

Roatan helps put Honduras back on the travel map - USATODAY.com

Great article, thanks for the link.

My Personal Cruise Blog: My Cruise Blog

Future Cruises:
Carnival Triumph-Caribbean-7/28/2014, Carnival Legend-South Pacific-8/30/2014, MSC Preziosa-Mediterranean-10/25/2014, MSC Fantasia-Mediterranean-11/2/2014, Navigator of the Seas-12/14/2013, Norwegian Jewel-1/3/2015, Emerald Princess-1/11/2015, Carnival Freedom-2/2/2015, Carnival Freedom-2/15/2015.
Old March 18th, 2010, 11:47 AM
Familiar Face

Can you rent a vehicle and go out on your own?
We do that in Cozumel and was wondering if anyone had done it on roatan??

Thanks
Jerry
Old March 18th, 2010, 02:10 PM
Passenger

Default What to do on Roatan

It's been a while since I was there last. 4 of us rented a car w/driver from Victor Bodden for $100 for the entire day. That price may be more now since it was 5 years ago. You can google him and reserve a car or van. We just told the driver to show us the island. West End is the best beach area and lots of little shops there. A few shops right off the dock but over the mountain to the other side is where everyone goes. The island was not very developed back then, no big high rises or fancy resorts, pretty laid back. Roads were terrible.
Old March 19th, 2010, 07:14 AM
Passenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by kt4w View Post
It's been a while since I was there last. 4 of us rented a car w/driver from Victor Bodden for $100 for the entire day. That price may be more now since it was 5 years ago. You can google him and reserve a car or van. We just told the driver to show us the island. West End is the best beach area and lots of little shops there. A few shops right off the dock but over the mountain to the other side is where everyone goes. The island was not very developed back then, no big high rises or fancy resorts, pretty laid back. Roads were terrible.
We are booked with Victor Bodden on the 23rd of March and the rates are the same....100.00 for 4 people....he comes highly recommended...Well time to go....time for my Dream to set Sail....
Old March 21st, 2010, 09:18 PM
Passenger

Default Renting a car

I don't think I would try renting a car and driving myself. There is only one road on the island and the North/East end of the island has no roads only accessable by boat. The road is filled with potholes and other obstacles, not
really worth the effort. Cozumel has more than one road and is basically flat where Roatan has a mountain (if you want to call it that) that goes right down the middle.

SS Washington 24,289 G/T 7/48 Eastbound North Atlantic
SS Ernie Pyle 10,000 G/T10/48 Westbound North Atlantic in a hurricane in October - Barf
Carnival Destiny 3/05 Southern Caribbean
Norwegian Sun 12/05 Western Caribbean
Carnival Legend 12/10 Western Caribbean
Old March 21st, 2010, 09:46 PM
Admiral

We've been to Roatan 4 times, last time about a month ago. Carnival has built a new docking /shopping area called Mahogany Bay. It's a little distance from the old dock, which I personally liked better.
Someone mentioned West End--that's an interesting place right now. Has shops, some bars, restaurants, etc. The road is dirt but from what I understand from talking to a local guy who runs a shop there they're talking about paving it, which in my opinion, will basically ruin it.
The waters normally very clear and beautiful.Most of the dive shops are at West End.
Re/ Mahogany Bay, everything's new, dock, buildings, beach area, etc. Just seemed sort of artificial to me. There's a chair lift that you can catch right in the shopping area that will take you to the beach area. It's only about a 10 minute ride or so or you can easily walk on pavement if you'd rather. We rode the chair lift --didn't even get off--just rode it over , circled around and back, just for the view and to see the beach.
Re/ renting a vehicle and going off on your own, I'm sure you'd be safe but
I would suggest you be sure of where you're going, don't try to drive onto a beach--you may end up stuck.
When we were there when it came time to sail, John Heald, the C.D. kept paging this one couple over and over--they weren't aboard and the Capt. waited about 15 minutes past sailing time. Finally John came on and said they were sorry to have to leave someone but it was time to go so away we went without them. He later came over the inter-com and announced that the couple had rented a jeep, went to a beach, got stuck and long story short, missed the ship and had to fly on to the next port , compliments of their own pocketbook---so be careful if you do go out on your own.
Roatan right now is a good port but I fear "progress " will turn it into a so-so port in the next couple years.
Go and enjoy while you can.
Old March 22nd, 2010, 10:13 AM
Familiar Face

Thanks gang, that's the info I was looking for.
Old March 22nd, 2010, 11:02 AM
Admiral

I highly recommend Maya Key, formerly known as Fins & Flippers. It is a beautiful place to spend the day. It is owned by the same folks who own Anthony's Key Resort. Roatan Cruise and Caribbean Cruise Shore Excursions | Maya Key

They have a nice beach with it's own reef to snorkel with easy entry from a raised platform. There is a nice pool, good restaurant on site, and an animal preserve, lots of monkeys and big cats, Parrots etc...
At Maya Key the beaches and sand are well cared for, you won't need to battle sand fleas which are common on many of the beaches there. Where ever you wind up, do bring insect repellant with DEET as it may well come in very handy between the mosquitoes and the fleas.

Contact them to arrange transportation to and from the port, it isn't too far away. Much closer than West End or West Bay.

Read and post cruise reviews
Old March 23rd, 2010, 09:49 AM
Cruise Maniac

Tabyana Beach is awesome. The best snorkling I have ever done.

Conquest 6/05
Triumph 2/06
Holiday 5/06
Miracle 2/07
Glory 6/07
Holiday 2/08
Holiday 2/08 (B2B)
Legend 1/09
Spirit 5/09
Holiday 8/09
Triumph 12/09
Valor 5/10
Old March 23rd, 2010, 07:51 PM
Beginner

Default tabyana beach ( ? )

Tabyana beach ( not sure of spelling ) was very nice. However we booked thru carnival and the bus ride was kind of long. We did the all inclusive and it was worth it. The drinks were good. The bus did not have AC and they really piled you in the bus. I was fine but my wife got a little sick. Next time I will take a taxi. The beach with the chair lifts looked nice.
Old March 27th, 2010, 09:58 PM
Beginner

We leave on the Triumph in 2 weeks and we have booked a tour with Bodden tours. Can anyone give me some must see ideas? Also is there anything special you can buy there that you might not find elsewhere? We haven't been on a cruise for 5 years and are so excieted.
Old March 27th, 2010, 10:28 PM
Passenger

We are thinking of doing a craig cat rental. Anyone do this? If so, what did you think?
Old September 19th, 2011, 02:38 PM
Admiral

Hey Beenie,
Nice to see your post, since we just booked a tour there. Want to snorkel without tons of people....or sand fleas!
Re, what to buy, Roatan has some amazing wood carvers. From small items to solid wooden doors carved with amazing detail. No idea how much they would charge to ship it home for you, but the door was not that expensive.
Marty