Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old April 15th, 2010, 08:22 PM
Beginner

Default can i get a price adjustment??

hi everyone,

i booked my may 2nd cruise back in january 2010. it was like $719 per person at the time. around the beginning of feb, i saw that the price had gone done to $679 per person and i called carnival and asked if they can match the original price for me. and they did. got $60 back on the credit card within a week.

now the price is $549 per person. i called and asked for the same thing and got shot down. do you think i should call again and hope to get a better CSR? any advice is appreciated!!
Sponsored Links
Old April 15th, 2010, 08:42 PM
First Mate

Try again a$ is a$ and we all can us it
boB
Old April 15th, 2010, 08:50 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

Of course try again, but, what exactly are they saying to you...? This is why I like to use a travel agent to be pro active for me, their customer...

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old April 16th, 2010, 12:40 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Snoozeman Send a message via Yahoo to Snoozeman

I'm a good customer and I've never received anything if it was after final payment (and you are at this point). I've read that some have received OBC's but I think it varies from sailing to sailing and various circumstances. There are so many rate codes and types of bookings it's hard to know. Do try though. Good Luck.

My Personal Cruise Blog: My Cruise Blog

Future Cruises:
Carnival Triumph-Caribbean-7/28/2014, Carnival Legend-South Pacific-8/30/2014, MSC Preziosa-Mediterranean-10/25/2014, MSC Fantasia-Mediterranean-11/2/2014, Navigator of the Seas-12/14/2013, Norwegian Jewel-1/3/2015, Emerald Princess-1/11/2015, Carnival Freedom-2/2/2015, Carnival Freedom-2/15/2015.
Old April 16th, 2010, 12:45 AM
Administrator
Admiral

Yep: Just re-read it and the cruise is May 2nd and you have made your final payment. Sorry: The new pricing is probably for "New Bookings Only".

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old April 16th, 2010, 01:24 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike M View Post
Yep: Just re-read it and the cruise is May 2nd and you have made your final payment. Sorry: The new pricing is probably for "New Bookings Only".

Take care,
Mike
Does it matter if the OP booked an Early saver fare?

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994
Old April 16th, 2010, 04:35 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by katlady View Post
Does it matter if the OP booked an Early saver fare?
Kat it might matter:
Here's how the Early Saver program works:

When you book a 3-5 day cruise three months in advance, or 6 day or longer cruise five months in advance, you are assured the lowest rate.
2. In the unlikely event that you do find a lower Carnival-advertised rate* after booking your cruise, we will honor it and adjust your cruise rate accordingly. Simply fill out the Price Protection Claim form and we'll take care of the rest. If you booked your cruise with a travel agent and need to make a Price Protection Claim, simply contact your travel agent and they will submit it for you.

Here are some links you may find helpful:
Price Protection Claim Form
Early Saver FAQ's
Click here to view Early Saver Specials

Read and post cruise reviews
Old April 16th, 2010, 01:43 PM
Beginner

they keep telling me that i was booked as a past guest and they cannot offer a price adjustment nor a onboard ship credit
Old April 16th, 2010, 02:01 PM
Administrator
Admiral

I personally have found that the Early Saver plan is not too good. The initial priced almost always higher than a discounted price and most people will take the lower priced option. You are basically gambling that the price will go down to a level below the discounted fare.

The OP booked with a Past Passenger discount and was not eligible for "Early Saver" and is now out of luck.

Take care,
Mike (If I want to gamble I'll just book 90 days out.)

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old April 16th, 2010, 02:34 PM
Admiral

Early saver worked for me. I got a nice bit of OBC. Since my hubby's job needs advance notice we can't book last minute so Early Saver suits us.

In this case the OP booked past guest so she is out of luck, which is to bad. A word of advice Early Saver fares require a non refundable deposit meaning you can't cancel the fare after you booked it. You can move the date before the full payment is made, but Carnival will charge you a $50 per person service fee. So don't book Early Saver it unless you are sure. Read the links Beenie Weenie has provided carefully before booking. The FAQ's link is very helpful.

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994
Old April 16th, 2010, 08:44 PM
Passenger

We just received our ob credit yesterdayfor our May 10 cruise that had a price drop....but we did use early saver. We made final payment back in Feb and they did honor it, I did not speak to anyone, just submitted price protection form,
Old April 19th, 2010, 01:08 PM
Passenger

Default Price reduction

WE booked early saver and past cruiser discounts, and bought trip insurance. Nearly had to cancel due to health issues, and was really glad about the insurance. When I noticed a price drop, I contacted my TA, who contacted Carnival and we received a $211 OBC after they deducted a $25 fee for change. I think that was because it was an early saver discount.
Barbara

Pride 10/03
Triumph 5/04
Triumph 4/07
Splendor 4/0
Dream 5/10
Old April 21st, 2010, 07:50 AM
Admiral

Thank you Beenie:

That is exactly what we did. We have been watching the site for months and as soon as the rate is lower, we fill in the form and send it.

Some of us have received 400 OBC as a result of doing this. It does depend on how you booked and how much you paid.

We do this ourselves. We do not have a TA. We have a PVP. Although she isn't permitted to do the forms...she has on occation let us know when the lower rate was posted.
I have read that some TA were not doing this for their customers....I don't know?

Darlene
Destiny-4/9/2000-E. Caribbean
Valor-5/11/2008
Liberty-5/1/2010
Pride 4/21/2013
Pride 9/8/2013
Imagination 11/11/2013
Pride 12/8/2013

LOVE TO CRUISE
Old April 22nd, 2010, 04:11 AM
First Mate

OP,

even if you booked past guest rate and the price goes down after final payment Carnival will allow you to upgrade.

Let's say you booked a cat 4A for $479 and now the prices have dropped and a cat 6A is now $479 they will allow you to upgrade to the 6A.

Bill
Old April 22nd, 2010, 09:31 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by xsbarbcat View Post
WE booked early saver and past cruiser discounts, and bought trip insurance. Nearly had to cancel due to health issues, and was really glad about the insurance. When I noticed a price drop, I contacted my TA, who contacted Carnival and we received a $211 OBC after they deducted a $25 fee for change. I think that was because it was an early saver discount.
Barbara
The $25 charge came from your TA not Carnival. My TA tried to charge me $50 as a "reservation change" fee. After quite a bit of discussion they decided to wave the fee. Some Travel Agents don't tell you of a price reduction because they are paid on commission the price goes down for you the commission goes down for the TA. I only have a TA, because I used cruise points and they made me use a TA to book. I already knew the ship, the date, and the cabin I wanted. For new cruisers and people that aren't internet friendly a TA could be a good way to go. Just if you book early saver check if your TA is going to charge you fees to use the price protection.

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994

Last edited by katlady; April 22nd, 2010 at 09:37 AM. Reason: Grammar
Old April 22nd, 2010, 10:08 AM
Admiral

Quote:
The $25 charge came from your TA not Carnival...
Carnival does charge a fee for changing the Early Saver. May have been what happened.

Future Cruises:
Carnival Triumph-Caribbean-7/28/2014, Carnival Legend-South Pacific-8/30/2014, MSC Preziosa-Mediterranean-10/25/2014, MSC Fantasia-Mediterranean-11/2/2014, Navigator of the Seas-12/14/2013, Norwegian Jewel-1/3/2015, Emerald Princess-1/11/2015, Carnival Freedom-2/2/2015, Carnival Freedom-2/15/2015.
Old April 22nd, 2010, 02:12 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snoozeman View Post
Carnival does charge a fee for changing the Early Saver. May have been what happened.
I agree with you Snoozeman if you change your reservation Carnival will charge a fee, but that is normally $50 per person. This is why I think that TA charged this fee. If you put in a request for the price protection without changing you cabin or date of sailing then Carnival does not charge a fee. The TA may still charge you a fee. This is what I think happened.

Here is from the FAQs on Carnival's website http://www.carnival.com/cms/FAQs/Ear...HEarlySaverFAQ:
• What if I need to make changes to my ship or sailing date?
Ship and sailing date changes are allowed prior to the final payment due date, subject to a $50 service fee per person, per change. Changes made after the final payment due date are subject to standard cancellation penalties.

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994
Old April 22nd, 2010, 02:42 PM
First Mate

Quote:
I agree with you Snoozeman if you change your reservation Carnival will charge a fee, but that is normally $50 per person. This is why I think that TA charged this fee. If you put in a request for the price protection without changing you cabin or date of sailing then Carnival does not charge a fee. The TA may still charge you a fee. This is what I think happened.

Here is from the FAQs on Carnival's website Frequently Asked Questions:
What if I need to make changes to my ship or sailing date?
Ship and sailing date changes are allowed prior to the final payment due date, subject to a $50 service fee per person, per change. Changes made after the final payment due date are subject to standard cancellation penalties.
I can verify that it's $50pp. Just changed my cruise last Saturday for my wife and I and were charged $100.

I knew that going in so that's my choice.

That $25 charge was definitely from the travel agent.

Bill
Old April 30th, 2010, 11:46 AM
Passenger

Question

I'm booked in a 6C on the Sept 12 Conquest cruise, we booked early saver back in February for $619. I checked the website today and they are offering a 6A for $589 with a free upgrade to a 6C, do you think we would be eligible for an adjustment?
Old April 30th, 2010, 12:15 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tree Hugger View Post
I'm booked in a 6C on the Sept 12 Conquest cruise, we booked early saver back in February for $619. I checked the website today and they are offering a 6A for $589 with a free upgrade to a 6C, do you think we would be eligible for an adjustment?
Maybe. Call them, there's usually a form, but since the upgrade is there I'm not sure if that would do it. Call. (If the new price is part of the 72 hour sale that might make a difference too---i.e. new bookings only)

Good Luck

Future Cruises:
Old April 30th, 2010, 08:45 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tree Hugger View Post
If I understand correctly (and I hope I do, since I've booked ES), the ES price includes giving you any price drop offered on the Carnival site up until the day before you sail. You should be able to get the lower price. Call your TA, or Carnival if you booked direct.

"A truly happy person is one who can enjoy the scenery on a detour."

Carnival Inspiration 2002 Carnival Elation 2004
Grand Princess 2004 NCL Sun 2005
Sun Princess 2006 NCL Dream 2007
Caribbean Princess 2007 NCL Dawn 2008
Island Princess 2008 Island Princess 2009
Golden Princess 2009 Carnival Conquest 2010
Grand Princess 2010 Island Princess 2011
Grand Princess 2011 Carnival Magic 2012
Carnival Dream 2012 Island Princess 2013
Carnival Magic 2013 Carnival Legend 2014
Sea Princess 2014