Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #61 (permalink)  
Old June 16th, 2011, 12:44 PM
Junior Member
Familiar Face
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 25
Default

It amazes me how many people would rather chat on a phone instead of enjoying the vacation they paid to go on. But I would like the convenience of having a cell phone on me in case of an emergency. We usually take walkie talkies with us when we cruise, to avoid the costs.
__________________



RCI Radiance of the Seas - Sept 16 2011 - Hawaii
RCI Brilliance of the Seas - Oct 08 2008 - Med/Greek Isles
RCCL Adventure of the Seas - Sept 23 2007 E. Caribbean
Carnival Fantasy - January 15 2006 - Bahamas
Carnival Destiny - July 3 2005 S. Caribbean
RCI Adventure of the Seas - Oct 10 2004 E. Caribbean
RCI Navigator of the Seas - Nov 29 2003 W. Caribbean
Reply With Quote
  #62 (permalink)  
Old June 27th, 2011, 03:09 AM
david30101
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

What ive witnessed was people expecially kids using there phones to call others in there group around on the ship, like walky talkys. I only use mine to send a "text" or 2 a few times during week. Allot cheaper then actually talking. 1.50 to send and .50 to receive with AT&T.
Reply With Quote
  #63 (permalink)  
Old June 27th, 2011, 03:15 AM
david30101
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by raggedyann6 View Post
I think that even if you are in a US port such as Key West and you make a cell phone call from the ship you still can incur roaming charges. I was told it picks up the ships satellite, you have to actually make the call off the ship to not incur roaming fees. I have never made a call from the ship and told friends and family I will have my phone off. If there is an emergency they have the number of the cruise line who then can contact me. Wow I feel sorry for the $1,000 texting bill, ouch!
The ships "satelite" should be turned off while in port..Expecially a us port. I know that for sure. My AT&T phone will read "celular at sea" when the ships service is turned on. Once the ship docks at a port or a US port, the ships service is turned off.

Its possible that your cell carrier dosent offer "local" service in Key west, that may be cause of roaming charge. But the charge wont come from the ship as long as its docked.

Last edited by david30101; June 27th, 2011 at 03:29 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #64 (permalink)  
Old June 28th, 2011, 02:25 PM
HawkeyeFLA's Avatar
Senior Member
First Mate
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 417
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by david30101 View Post
The ships "satelite" should be turned off while in port..Expecially a us port. I know that for sure. My AT&T phone will read "celular at sea" when the ships service is turned on. Once the ship docks at a port or a US port, the ships service is turned off.

Its possible that your cell carrier dosent offer "local" service in Key west, that may be cause of roaming charge. But the charge wont come from the ship as long as its docked.
Miami, Lauderdale, St Thomas, San Juan, Key West, of course the mainland ports I expected native signal and got it. Kept it for quite some time actually after the ship left the port. Friend of mine texted me during dinner to hangout "Sorry dude, I'm about 10 miles off the coast of FL right now."

St Thomas and San Juan have full Sprint coverage. I was able to do 3G the whole time in port, and chat with my mother as we were leaving the port and going past the forts.

Key West same. In fact I was on the phone quite a bit because the cruise was the first of the month, and silly me forgot to pay the CC bill. Thankfully that was resolved without having to use the ship's internet cafe.

On the Imagination cruise, on a whim I turned off airplane mode just to see what would happen. Got Cellular at Sea on my screen. A few texts came in, and I turned it back off. Never sent a text, and never made a phone call. Once I lose native signal, I just don't care really. A cruise is a vacation, a vacation is an escape. I don't want to be too tethered to the rest of the world thank you very much.

I did use the internet cafe once on my 7n in 2009. On Wednesday. I needed to log onto my work's internal site and look at my schedule for the week I got back so I knew what to expect ... since I was going right back to work the day after the cruise.
__________________


Past cruises:

Disney Dream - Dec 2013 4n Bahamas
Disney Dream - Dec 2012 4n Bahamas
Carnival Imagination - Dec 2011 4n Western
Carnival Imagination - Nov 2010 4n Western
Costa Atlantica - Dec 2009 7n Eastern

My opinions are mine and mine alone. They do not represent the opinions of The Walt Disney Company nor any of its subsidiaries.
Reply With Quote
  #65 (permalink)  
Old June 29th, 2011, 02:25 AM
david30101
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by HawkeyeFLA View Post
Miami, Lauderdale, St Thomas, San Juan, Key West, of course the mainland ports I expected native signal and got it. Kept it for quite some time actually after the ship left the port. Friend of mine texted me during dinner to hangout "Sorry dude, I'm about 10 miles off the coast of FL right now."

St Thomas and San Juan have full Sprint coverage. I was able to do 3G the whole time in port, and chat with my mother as we were leaving the port and going past the forts.

Key West same. In fact I was on the phone quite a bit because the cruise was the first of the month, and silly me forgot to pay the CC bill. Thankfully that was resolved without having to use the ship's internet cafe.

On the Imagination cruise, on a whim I turned off airplane mode just to see what would happen. Got Cellular at Sea on my screen. A few texts came in, and I turned it back off. Never sent a text, and never made a phone call. Once I lose native signal, I just don't care really. A cruise is a vacation, a vacation is an escape. I don't want to be too tethered to the rest of the world thank you very much.

I did use the internet cafe once on my 7n in 2009. On Wednesday. I needed to log onto my work's internal site and look at my schedule for the week I got back so I knew what to expect ... since I was going right back to work the day after the cruise.
AT&T is same way as far as service goes in other countrys. I made a car rental reservation from Avis in St Marteen for next day while i was still in St Thomas sitting on a beach.
Reply With Quote
  #66 (permalink)  
Old June 30th, 2011, 02:38 AM
HawkeyeFLA's Avatar
Senior Member
First Mate
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 417
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by david30101 View Post
AT&T is same way as far as service goes in other countrys. I made a car rental reservation from Avis in St Marteen for next day while i was still in St Thomas sitting on a beach.
Yeah, tho I don't know if I would consider St Thomas to be "another country" :-p

</snark>
__________________


Past cruises:

Disney Dream - Dec 2013 4n Bahamas
Disney Dream - Dec 2012 4n Bahamas
Carnival Imagination - Dec 2011 4n Western
Carnival Imagination - Nov 2010 4n Western
Costa Atlantica - Dec 2009 7n Eastern

My opinions are mine and mine alone. They do not represent the opinions of The Walt Disney Company nor any of its subsidiaries.
Reply With Quote
  #67 (permalink)  
Old August 2nd, 2011, 05:10 PM
Junior Member
Welcome Newcomer
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 4
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manuel View Post
I have to stay in touch with my mom, so I call her everyday. The good thing is that she is a happy with a 2 minute call.

TM
I do the exact same thing. Mom is sickly, and I want to speak to her daily. I call her for 2 minutes each day, and that is fine.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
50mb, 763, att, caribbean, cruise, cruising, data, eastern, ipad, iphone, roaming, tmobile, turn, turns, week

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Cell Phone nettnut Princess Cruise Lines 6 August 8th, 2010 08:44 AM
Cell phone use during cruise maxibluz Carnival Cruise Lines 18 March 20th, 2006 10:11 PM
cell phone rental while on Baltic cruise? zot European & Mediterranean Destinations 0 March 18th, 2004 04:10 AM
cell phone marybeth Carnival Cruise Lines 0 December 5th, 2003 10:39 AM
CELL PHONE Tom Ask CruiseMates Staff 3 December 18th, 2000 12:01 AM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


 

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:04 PM.
design by: Themes by Design

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1