Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old June 16th, 2011, 12:44 PM
Familiar Face

It amazes me how many people would rather chat on a phone instead of enjoying the vacation they paid to go on. But I would like the convenience of having a cell phone on me in case of an emergency. We usually take walkie talkies with us when we cruise, to avoid the costs.

RCI Radiance of the Seas - Sept 16 2011 - Hawaii
RCI Brilliance of the Seas - Oct 08 2008 - Med/Greek Isles
RCCL Adventure of the Seas - Sept 23 2007 E. Caribbean
Carnival Fantasy - January 15 2006 - Bahamas
Carnival Destiny - July 3 2005 S. Caribbean
RCI Adventure of the Seas - Oct 10 2004 E. Caribbean
RCI Navigator of the Seas - Nov 29 2003 W. Caribbean
Old June 27th, 2011, 03:09 AM
david30101

What ive witnessed was people expecially kids using there phones to call others in there group around on the ship, like walky talkys. I only use mine to send a "text" or 2 a few times during week. Allot cheaper then actually talking. 1.50 to send and .50 to receive with AT&T.
Old June 27th, 2011, 03:15 AM
david30101

Quote:
Originally Posted by raggedyann6 View Post
I think that even if you are in a US port such as Key West and you make a cell phone call from the ship you still can incur roaming charges. I was told it picks up the ships satellite, you have to actually make the call off the ship to not incur roaming fees. I have never made a call from the ship and told friends and family I will have my phone off. If there is an emergency they have the number of the cruise line who then can contact me. Wow I feel sorry for the $1,000 texting bill, ouch!
The ships "satelite" should be turned off while in port..Expecially a us port. I know that for sure. My AT&T phone will read "celular at sea" when the ships service is turned on. Once the ship docks at a port or a US port, the ships service is turned off.

Its possible that your cell carrier dosent offer "local" service in Key west, that may be cause of roaming charge. But the charge wont come from the ship as long as its docked.

Last edited by david30101; June 27th, 2011 at 03:29 AM.
Old June 28th, 2011, 02:25 PM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by david30101 View Post
The ships "satelite" should be turned off while in port..Expecially a us port. I know that for sure. My AT&T phone will read "celular at sea" when the ships service is turned on. Once the ship docks at a port or a US port, the ships service is turned off.

Its possible that your cell carrier dosent offer "local" service in Key west, that may be cause of roaming charge. But the charge wont come from the ship as long as its docked.
Miami, Lauderdale, St Thomas, San Juan, Key West, of course the mainland ports I expected native signal and got it. Kept it for quite some time actually after the ship left the port. Friend of mine texted me during dinner to hangout "Sorry dude, I'm about 10 miles off the coast of FL right now."

St Thomas and San Juan have full Sprint coverage. I was able to do 3G the whole time in port, and chat with my mother as we were leaving the port and going past the forts.

Key West same. In fact I was on the phone quite a bit because the cruise was the first of the month, and silly me forgot to pay the CC bill. Thankfully that was resolved without having to use the ship's internet cafe.

On the Imagination cruise, on a whim I turned off airplane mode just to see what would happen. Got Cellular at Sea on my screen. A few texts came in, and I turned it back off. Never sent a text, and never made a phone call. Once I lose native signal, I just don't care really. A cruise is a vacation, a vacation is an escape. I don't want to be too tethered to the rest of the world thank you very much.

I did use the internet cafe once on my 7n in 2009. On Wednesday. I needed to log onto my work's internal site and look at my schedule for the week I got back so I knew what to expect ... since I was going right back to work the day after the cruise.

Past cruises:

Disney Dream - Dec 2013 4n Bahamas
Disney Dream - Dec 2012 4n Bahamas
Carnival Imagination - Dec 2011 4n Western
Carnival Imagination - Nov 2010 4n Western
Costa Atlantica - Dec 2009 7n Eastern

My opinions are mine and mine alone. They do not represent the opinions of The Walt Disney Company nor any of its subsidiaries.
Old June 29th, 2011, 02:25 AM
david30101

Quote:
Originally Posted by HawkeyeFLA View Post
Miami, Lauderdale, St Thomas, San Juan, Key West, of course the mainland ports I expected native signal and got it. Kept it for quite some time actually after the ship left the port. Friend of mine texted me during dinner to hangout "Sorry dude, I'm about 10 miles off the coast of FL right now."

St Thomas and San Juan have full Sprint coverage. I was able to do 3G the whole time in port, and chat with my mother as we were leaving the port and going past the forts.

Key West same. In fact I was on the phone quite a bit because the cruise was the first of the month, and silly me forgot to pay the CC bill. Thankfully that was resolved without having to use the ship's internet cafe.

On the Imagination cruise, on a whim I turned off airplane mode just to see what would happen. Got Cellular at Sea on my screen. A few texts came in, and I turned it back off. Never sent a text, and never made a phone call. Once I lose native signal, I just don't care really. A cruise is a vacation, a vacation is an escape. I don't want to be too tethered to the rest of the world thank you very much.

I did use the internet cafe once on my 7n in 2009. On Wednesday. I needed to log onto my work's internal site and look at my schedule for the week I got back so I knew what to expect ... since I was going right back to work the day after the cruise.
AT&T is same way as far as service goes in other countrys. I made a car rental reservation from Avis in St Marteen for next day while i was still in St Thomas sitting on a beach.
Old June 30th, 2011, 02:38 AM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by david30101 View Post
AT&T is same way as far as service goes in other countrys. I made a car rental reservation from Avis in St Marteen for next day while i was still in St Thomas sitting on a beach.
Yeah, tho I don't know if I would consider St Thomas to be "another country" :-p

</snark>

Past cruises:

Disney Dream - Dec 2013 4n Bahamas
Disney Dream - Dec 2012 4n Bahamas
Carnival Imagination - Dec 2011 4n Western
Carnival Imagination - Nov 2010 4n Western
Costa Atlantica - Dec 2009 7n Eastern

My opinions are mine and mine alone. They do not represent the opinions of The Walt Disney Company nor any of its subsidiaries.
Old August 2nd, 2011, 05:10 PM
Welcome Newcomer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manuel View Post
I have to stay in touch with my mom, so I call her everyday. The good thing is that she is a happy with a 2 minute call.

TM
I do the exact same thing. Mom is sickly, and I want to speak to her daily. I call her for 2 minutes each day, and that is fine.