Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 13th, 2010, 09:58 AM
Cruise Maniac

Default Cruise ship passenger visiting St. Thomas killed during gang shootout

Sponsored Links
Old July 13th, 2010, 02:10 PM
First Mate

I read that today, what a terrible thing! So random, so sensless:-x. I always thought of St Thomas as relativly safe, but I guess with this type of crime, it can happen any where.

Prayers to the family.
CARNIVAL BREEZE 1-13-2013
Old July 13th, 2010, 05:16 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

This is an absolutely heartbreaking situation, but sadly it does't surprise me, anymore

Many years ago, the US Navy did not want the sailors to take leave there, I remembet at the time that surprising me. Then, in the 90's a woman who worked in the buildning next door to me, her mother who owned time share there, was shot, along with some others in her group. She was treated, then moved to San Juan. She came home, but was never the same.

This story goes to show, that even in what seems like the most innocent of situations, you just never know:

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old July 15th, 2010, 01:23 PM
Passenger

Very sad. I wonder if Carnival will take St. Thomas off their itinerary?
I don't think they should but I think it's possible they might with the publicity this is getting.
Old July 15th, 2010, 05:42 PM
First Mate

It is a senseless and terrible thing. Parents are never supposed to bury their children. My heart and prayers go out to them.

I also read on another board that the tour they were on was NOT an excursion offered by Carnival. Does anybody know if this is true? And if so, perhaps another reason not to use private tours? And I really don't think Carnival should stop going to St. Thomas as things happen everywhere. But that is just my personal opinion.

Nevertheless, it is a horrible tragedy.
Old July 15th, 2010, 05:58 PM
Passenger

That is true, it was not a Carnival excursion. This website: St. Thomas – No Longer America’s Paradise! shows the letter from Carnival to the passengers. However, I don't think that has anything to do with it. It was just being at the wrong place at the wrong time and could have just as easily been a Carnival excursion. Unfortunately, this could have happened anywhere, including in the United States.
Old July 15th, 2010, 06:01 PM
Admiral

Carnival said it is stopping tours that go through that neighborhood. Don't know how much rerouting that will require. Coki Beach is obviously a very popular destination.

I saw on Facebook that a guy I knew in high school was one of the attending technicians at the hospital. He said it was a very sad scene.

A Bad Day At Sea [with power] Always Beats A Good Day At Work
Carnival: Glory 2004, Destiny 2008, Splendor 2009, Freedom 2011, Valor 2012, Dream 2013
Celebrity: Summit 2011
Princess: Ruby 2010, 2014, Caribbean 2013, Coral 2014, Regal 2014
Star Clippers: Royal Clipper 2015
Old July 16th, 2010, 12:14 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to cherylroy

You are so right - wrong place at the wrong time and my heart goes out to that family. I have 2 girls myself and cannot imagine losing either one - much less on a vacation! Prayers are with them!
Old July 16th, 2010, 12:18 AM
Passenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by IslandLover View Post
A quote from the above article:

"The Governor and Police Chief have known of these issues for years and have done nothing to solve the gang related problems. More criminals have guns than the police force."

So if that's true, then maybe the cruise lines should avoid this island until the authorities decide to clean it up.
Old July 16th, 2010, 09:08 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwiceAroundTheBlock View Post

"The Governor and Police Chief have known of these issues for years and have done nothing to solve the gang related problems. More criminals have guns than the police force."

So if that's true, then maybe the cruise lines should avoid this island until the authorities decide to clean it up.

Unfortunately, wouldn't this be true in any US city? It's a terrible thing to have happened, but it could have happened anywhere in the US, and unless it was your hometown, you'd probably never hear about it .

"A truly happy person is one who can enjoy the scenery on a detour."

Carnival Inspiration 2002 Carnival Elation 2004
Grand Princess 2004 NCL Sun 2005
Sun Princess 2006 NCL Dream 2007
Caribbean Princess 2007 NCL Dawn 2008
Island Princess 2008 Island Princess 2009
Golden Princess 2009 Carnival Conquest 2010
Grand Princess 2010 Island Princess 2011
Grand Princess 2011 Carnival Magic 2012
Carnival Dream 2012 Island Princess 2013
Carnival Magic 2013 Carnival Legend 2014
Sea Princess 2014
Old July 16th, 2010, 09:15 PM
Admiral

I'm sure that Carnival is only temporarily suspending similar tours.

If they were to pull St Thomas from their itineraries because of this, they would also have to pull all ports of embarkation in the U.S. for similar incidents.
Old July 18th, 2010, 04:26 PM
First Mate

I certainly feel for the victims and their families in this unfortunate circumstance. Now please be honest. This type of incident is all to frequently repeated throughout the U.S., if we stop visiting St. Thomas because of this tradegdy we might as well move all of the ships from Miami
2004 "Glory"
2004"Victory"
2007 "Liberty"
2007" Explorer of the Seas
2009 "Valor"
2009 "Fascination"
2011 " Pride"
2014 "Adventure of the Seas"
Old July 19th, 2010, 11:45 AM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

Things need to change,and, it seems it will be slow to do so....

Coki beach remains deserted after shooting - News - Virgin Islands Daily News

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old July 19th, 2010, 03:17 PM
Admiral

My gosh how sad.

Home is where you park your flip flops

~Robin~

Need some cruise help?

ALLURE OF THE SEAS FEB 2016.... Who's going with??
Carnival - Fantasy 1998
RCCL - Majesty of the Sea 2000
Carnival - Inspiration 2009
Carnival - Freedom 2011
Carnival - Liberty 2013
Carnival- Breeze 2014
Old July 19th, 2010, 04:26 PM
Beginner

Default Shootings

Murders are at an all time high in the Virgin Islands this year. Glossing it over by saying "these things happen everywhere" is just plain stupid. It's bad if murders happen anywhere.

Until the politicians, the tourist board and the police wake up, this will continue. Instead, they all point fingers at each other and do nothing.
Old July 19th, 2010, 05:31 PM
Passenger

Angry

As for the author of the article on today's opening Cruisemates page, he/she comments that there really isn't much to do there besides shopping. What?! My problem has usually been the opposite. I can't choose because there are so many things to do! (Compare the shore excursion list of STT to the list of other islands to get an idea.) Even just riding around it to see different things in a cab or rental car (as I have done) would never bore me due to the views alone! About every cruiser I know loves this port. In my case, it's not the shopping I love, but the way it looks, the colors, the hills, the views, the alleyways & old Danish buildings which now contain shops, and, most especially, the lovely water around it. Then there is it's proximity to one of my favorite places in the world: St. John. (My complaint is it has become quite expensive to visit St. John from St. Thomas! Wish there was an efficient and cheap way to get to Red Hook for the ferry!) We often do some type of boat and snorkeling excursion (and mostly not one offered by the cruiseline). Some people golf. Some go to one of several beaches. On many cruises we have spent most of the day on St. John, then returned to STT and dropped a few bucks in a shop or 2 before reboarding our ship. Even then, I MUST be out on deck when we depart to get a last glimpse of that beautiful harbor!

In the past there have been other islands that have lost tourism due to local crime and usually actions have been taken to turn things around.
I think the local people, their govt., and the U.S. govt. and the cruise industry in general will do all in their power to stem this type of incident because the allmighty dollar is at stake here. It's sad that it takes the death of a tourist to draw such needed attention to a problem that no doubt affects the local people.
Old July 19th, 2010, 06:26 PM
Passenger

Default Reality is painful!

If you are like me, I am jolted back to reality. Why do I think I am exempt from the brutal forces that plague many countries, including my own? I know I have been guilty of having a false sense of security both on and off the ship. Bottom line-keep your eyes and ears open, do your own research and when it doubt, sit it out!! God's blessing to the family of the young woman that will never know the joys and the pains of this life.
Old July 20th, 2010, 07:43 PM
First Mate

Call me oldfashioned or whatever.
I had been employed by the Department of corrections in Pa. for 31 years.

From the very first prison populations rose at an astounding rate, while parental rights declined. If we as a people cannot discipline our children and instill real values things will get worse. If our young do not respect themselves or others this type of thing will continue to grab the headlines. liberal thinking individuals have only themselves to blame.
2004 "Glory"
2004"Victory"
2007 "Liberty"
2007" Explorer of the Seas
2009 "Valor"
2009 "Fascination"
2011 " Pride"
2014 "Adventure of the Seas"
Old July 21st, 2010, 02:03 AM
Passenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwiceAroundTheBlock View Post

I guess I should have clarified this a little more....

My son and son-in-law both are long-time deputies in our county, both are Lieutenants. They didn't get to that rank by sitting on their duffs. Both have been in very dicey situations where but by the grace of God and their excellent training got them thru it unharmed. They have a responsibility to our community "to protect and to serve", and chose their careers willingly.

My problem is with the law enforcement on St. Thomas. Apparently they are either lazy, afraid, or in the wrong career. Maybe it's all 3. According to reports that I've read, including over 13 pages on CC where some of the posters live or used to live on St. Thomas, the lack of proper law enforcement has been the norm for quite sometime.

I stand by my opinion. Maybe ships should avoid stopping there until it gets cleaned up. I grew up appreciating..... "knowing what side my bread was buttered on".
Old August 9th, 2010, 03:50 AM
Familiar Face

Arrow Huh?

If this had happened in Mexico (where no tourist has yet to be harmed) it would have been the lead story for a week.