CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Carnival Cruise Lines (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/carnival-cruise-lines/)
-   -   A mixture of Strange Questions from a First Time Cruiser (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/carnival-cruise-lines/377775-mixture-strange-questions-first-time-cruiser.html)

imisspresidentreagan October 29th, 2010 09:04 AM

A mixture of Strange Questions from a First Time Cruiser
 
We leave October 31 (which is just two days away!!!) and I've never cruised before. While I'm looking forward to our trip on the Legend I have a couple of questions that I didn't see an answer to when perusing the boards and any input would be great.

1. While we are on our cruise, the November 2 midterm elections will be occurring. Can anyone tell me if the televisions will have news channels that would provide this information?

2. Will it be possible to access the internet via my laptop in my cabin or do I need to go to the computer room? (We are sailing on the Carnival Leged, and while I read through the FAQs on Carnival's site, I was left somewhat confused)

3. We booked an excursion through Carnival on the Cayman's where we port at 7; however our excursion isn't until 10. I'd like to get off the ship when we port and walk around for a little while before the excursion but someone had mentioned to me that you have to go back through customs to get in line if you leave before your ship. How time consuming a process is this?

Thanks for your help, and I apologize for what are probably silly questions. :)
:)

BigStickKenobi October 29th, 2010 12:49 PM

Hello,
You will have a great time. we just got off that one last month.
answers:
1. There are plenty of Tv's on board including your room. They have a couple of regular programming on there (all out of Colorado for some reason). My wife was able to catch Oprah and Dr. phil a couple times. Don't ask me why, lol. There is no CNN or Fox channels provided, but there may be in the sports bat in the front of the ship.
2. No laptop in the rooms, but right next to the above bar is the internet cafe ($$$$).
3. The Cayman's version of customs is a joke, they look at your sail and sign card and say "thanks". So, not tooo time consuming at all.

Cayman suggestion: Right after you exit the terminal and walk into town, to the left about 500-600 ft. there is this rasta guy selling cold coconuts that he cuts open for you right there with a straw. they were a tasty treat for like three bucks.
and there is no silly questions.

Good luck!

dhudd October 29th, 2010 01:14 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Your ship will have "Satellite" TV. One cruise I was out on our balcony, 89 degrees & off the coast of Acapulco Mexico, sipping an "Adult Beverage" and my wife started laughing. There was a very bad snow storm viewing on our TV. The Satelite TV hub must have been out of Denver Co. They were showing the city of Denver in a bad blizzard. To answer your question, yes you can view most of the major TV networks.
We usually watched CNN.
Your question regarding the computers, I'm not sure. When we're on a cruise, we're on vacation...no cell phones and or computers.
As for your question about Grand Cayman Island... You can go to the shore ahead of your tour group. In this port you will be tendered, (they will use the Island's tender boats/they are larger and carry much more passengers). Most all of the ships tours will meet up at or very near the customs building, (this place is nuts/crowed very small place and the tour group will hold up signs showing just which tour group). When you get to the shore, walk to the right along the shore to a set of buildings. Great place for shopping, (yellow building as well as other buildings). Also make sure that you visit the town of "Hell" , the "Tortuga Rum Cake Facrory" and last but not least the "turtle Farm". I'll attach some pictures. Have a great cruise...We leave in 7 days on the Carnival Glory. Dave & Diane.

imisspresidentreagan October 29th, 2010 01:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigStickKenobi (Post 1325943)
Hello,
You will have a great time. we just got off that one last month.
answers:
1. There are plenty of Tv's on board including your room. They have a couple of regular programming on there (all out of Colorado for some reason). My wife was able to catch Oprah and Dr. phil a couple times. Don't ask me why, lol. There is no CNN or Fox channels provided, but there may be in the sports bat in the front of the ship.
2. No laptop in the rooms, but right next to the above bar is the internet cafe ($$$$).
3. The Cayman's version of customs is a joke, they look at your sail and sign card and say "thanks". So, not tooo time consuming at all.

Cayman suggestion: Right after you exit the terminal and walk into town, to the left about 500-600 ft. there is this rasta guy selling cold coconuts that he cuts open for you right there with a straw. they were a tasty treat for like three bucks.
and there is no silly questions.

Good luck!

Thank you so much for your help!

imisspresidentreagan October 29th, 2010 01:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dhudd (Post 1325947)
Your ship will have "Satellite" TV. One cruise I was out on our balcony, 89 degrees & off the coast of Acapulco Mexico, sipping an "Adult Beverage" and my wife started laughing. There was a very bad snow storm viewing on our TV. The Satelite TV hub must have been out of Denver Co. They were showing the city of Denver in a bad blizzard. To answer your question, yes you can view most of the major TV networks.
We usually watched CNN.
Your question regarding the computers, I'm not sure. When we're on a cruise, we're on vacation...no cell phones and or computers.
As for your question about Grand Cayman Island... You can go to the shore ahead of your tour group. In this port you will be tendered, (they will use the Island's tender boats/they are larger and carry much more passengers). Most all of the ships tours will meet up at or very near the customs building, (this place is nuts/crowed very small place and the tour group will hold up signs showing just which tour group). When you get to the shore, walk to the right along the shore to a set of buildings. Great place for shopping, (yellow building as well as other buildings). Also make sure that you visit the town of "Hell" , the "Tortuga Rum Cake Facrory" and last but not least the "turtle Farm". I'll attach some pictures. Have a great cruise...We leave in 7 days on the Carnival Glory. Dave & Diane.

Thank you so very much for your help and advice. Have fun on your cruise. I'm thinking this will be our family vacation every year, as planning has been so much fun.

BigStickKenobi October 29th, 2010 01:50 PM

BTW, don't be afraid to do as much research on excursions and utilizing third part companies to book. You usually spend half the amount of money for the same experience.
Example would be a post a did earlier about Roatan ziplining. $52 and it's actually in a rainforest and not a park.
Have a great time!

imisspresidentreagan October 29th, 2010 02:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigStickKenobi (Post 1325953)
BTW, don't be afraid to do as much research on excursions and utilizing third part companies to book. You usually spend half the amount of money for the same experience.
Example would be a post a did earlier about Roatan ziplining. $52 and it's actually in a rainforest and not a park.
Have a great time!

Thanks again. We booked through BoddenTours.com in Roatan because I wanted to see the monkeys and several people reccommended the site. Other than that we've not ventured outside Carnival's options. Unfortunately, Hurricane Richard has caused some upheavel in our plans for Belize, but c'est la vie.

Are Third Party Companies pretty reliable? I'm definitely thinking this is a cruise I'll need to take more than once to do everything I want to do. :)

BigStickKenobi October 29th, 2010 04:26 PM

After being in that cesspool of a country called belize (4th stop), I would definitely go through Carnival for any excursions there. We had a third party cave tubing/ATV thing there, but they cancelled it due to heavy rains the week prior. I'm very happy with that due to seeing first hand the restless natives they had there and how pushy and in your face they were there after we decided to just walk around the city. we turned right around and drank at the wet lizard all day and I am not a big drinker either, but they were good.
I know the above sounds bad, but every place else, I always use third party excursions, unless Carnival's is cheaper.

jlauntz October 29th, 2010 10:41 PM

1. I would hope not, but I know differently.
2.yes
3. the process is relatively painless

Cruznut2 October 30th, 2010 04:26 AM

I was able to access the internet on my latop in the cabin. I had to agree to buy the package of minutes. I did find that sometimes the signal was not as strong. I also took my laptop to the lido in the morning and used it while I relaxed with my coffee.

Laura


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:02 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1