Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old November 14th, 2010, 08:20 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Carnival Cruise Lines has eliminated on line discounts for their cruises

Carnival Cruise Lines has eliminated on line discounts for their cruises when you book. What that means, the Travel Agent discounts are no longer there. We are members of Great Escapes Travel Club in FL, and when we would book on line we would see a list price and then under it would be a “discount” but no longer.

Our club T/A told us the same as has been posted in this thread. How they are getting around it is, they sell us the CCL cruise at the CCL listed price and then they send us a check 3 weeks before the cruise for the T/A discount. . .about 8% of the cruise cost. We also get what is called “Advantage Dollars” after we cruise which amounts to about 8% of the total cruise cost that can be applied to future bookings of condos, cruises, airfare or whatever. So, our membership is paying off. Two weeks ago, I added our daughter to the Family Plan at no cost, and they booked the CCL Conquest for 02/20/11 for 7 people in 3 different staterooms, and they will get the check for 8% of the total cruise cost three weeks before they cruise and we get the Advantage Dollars.

Perhaps some of you are aware of Travel Club Memberships of some kind or another. We joined in 2001 and now it is really paying off for us and our kids.
BTW, Royal Caribbean has been doing this for a long time and Carnival is the last big cruise company to get on board with the “no discount” to T/A’s policy.
CCL Ecstasy 10/25/10
RCCL Voyager OTS Jan 10, 2010
CCL Ecstasy 09/2009
CCL Fantasy 07/06/2009
CCLl Conquest 03/15/2009
RCCL Voyager OTS 02/01/09
RCCL 15 Days Voyager OTS TA 11/29/08
CCL Conquest 09/28/08
CCL Conquest 04/27/08
CCL Ecstasy 10/2007
CCL Elation 09/2006
RCL Rhapsody of Sea 10/2002
NCL Norwegian Sea 10/2000
CCL Holiday 11/1988
CCL Destiny 07/1997
P&O Canberra 1969

Sponsored Links
Old November 14th, 2010, 09:55 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

You'd better hope no one from Carnival reads your post... because if they get wind of this post about your TA offering cash back they will refuse to sell cruises to the agency.

They are serious about the flat pricing policy they've put in place, intended to create a level playing field for all travel agents. I don't like the policy, but Carnival is dead serious about it, and I'm sure keep their eyes out for people trying to circumvent it.
Old November 15th, 2010, 05:39 AM
Admiral

This is likely a "perk", just as agencies offer free insurance etc. to lure bookings. That's how things have changed since flat rate pricing came into effect.
Old November 15th, 2010, 05:52 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter

This is essentially no different from the old-fashioned rabating Travel agents used to do all the time.

I think in this case they "may" be able to get around the policy because it is a club and they are essentially paying a membership fee that legally makes them something like a part of the agency booking the cruise.

Or I could be talking out of my bum. I really don't know.

But if an agency is doing that it is not exactly rebating because the customer is paying the full price. With rebating the customer pays a discounted price and the travel agent eats the loss - evem before his commission is paid.

Rebating is a tough practice - because the agent is essentially paying for the cruisers' discount. That was one reason it was stopped, too cutthroat, especially for small businesses.
Old November 15th, 2010, 07:39 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Good Insight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Motter View Post
This is essentially no different from the old-fashioned rabating Travel agents used to do all the time.

I think in this case they "may" be able to get around the policy because it is a club and they are essentially paying a membership fee that legally makes them something like a part of the agency booking the cruise.

Or I could be talking out of my bum. I really don't know.

But if an agency is doing that it is not exactly rebating because the customer is paying the full price. With rebating the customer pays a discounted price and the travel agent eats the loss - evem before his commission is paid.

Rebating is a tough practice - because the agent is essentially paying for the cruisers' discount. That was one reason it was stopped, too cutthroat, especially for small businesses.
As you stated Paul, it is a club where you pay a fee to join and and then an annual fee for the benefits. The benefits covers condos, resorts, air fare, cruises and such. GE has thousands of members so they have buying power. We have only booked Royal Caribbean and Carnival cruises in the past. RCCL has never discounted their price and we paid full RCCL rates and now that Carnival has started their policy, it will remain to be seen what our club can continue to do. No matter, if it is a condo, a resort, air, or cruises we always get back a % in our account after the travel to be used for future vacations.

Example. Say a condo in Indian Shores, FL at Holiday Villas III. . .we got a 7 night stay in a two bedroom fully finished condo on the beach for $199 or at recently a 7 night stay in Daytona Beach beach front condo for $399 and the $$$ added to our account for future travel.

These are just examples, so how long they will continue to "rebate" our upfront money for Carnival cruises as I said remains to be seen, but no matter what we'll always get the after the vacation or cruise $$$ credited to our membership. FYI, not trying to sell memberships, but just clarify my original post.

Thanks Paul for stepping in with your post. Wow, got the head man commenting.
CCL Ecstasy 10/25/10
RCCL Voyager OTS Jan 10, 2010
CCL Ecstasy 09/2009
CCL Fantasy 07/06/2009
CCLl Conquest 03/15/2009
RCCL Voyager OTS 02/01/09
RCCL 15 Days Voyager OTS TA 11/29/08
CCL Conquest 09/28/08
CCL Conquest 04/27/08
CCL Ecstasy 10/2007
CCL Elation 09/2006
RCL Rhapsody of Sea 10/2002
NCL Norwegian Sea 10/2000
CCL Holiday 11/1988
CCL Destiny 07/1997
P&O Canberra 1969

Old November 17th, 2010, 07:35 AM
Passenger

Couldn't the TA just give an OBC instead of a rebate?