Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 25th, 2011, 04:51 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default 3G Kindle

Has anyone tried to use a 3G Kindle on a cruise ship. Will it make the connection and is there a charge. I would assume that the wi-fi would only work if you paid Carnival for the wireless service.
Sponsored Links
Old January 25th, 2011, 05:06 PM
Admiral

3G would be the same as any other cellular service - not cheap on a cruise ship.

A Bad Day At Sea [with power] Always Beats A Good Day At Work
Carnival: Glory 2004, Destiny 2008, Splendor 2009, Freedom 2011, Valor 2012, Dream 2013
Celebrity: Summit 2011
Princess: Ruby 2010, 2014, Caribbean 2013, Coral 2014
Old January 26th, 2011, 08:47 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

I believe the only reason you'd need the wireless is to shop and download books anyway. When I go, I will have reading material already on my kindle and just use it to read, so you should do the same, load up the kindle before you leave and just read while on the cruise.

Message Boards Moderator
Old January 26th, 2011, 11:27 AM
Familiar Face

No free wi-fi in the middle of the ocean, though I don't know about kindle's reach in ports such as San Juan and St. Thomas, but my guess would be not. I plan to use the pay as you go 75 cents a minute just to connect long enough to send an email or dowload a book. Just make darn sure you turn that wireless off as soon as you're done transmitting/downloading data!

Read and post cruise reviews
Old January 26th, 2011, 11:31 AM
Familiar Face

Be sure to move any books in your archive that you want to read on the cruise to your device so that they are physically on your kindle. Shop for books before you go. If you're using it for it's "experimental" internet browser, I would advise going to the internet cafe instead, as the Kindle browser is not so great and terminal use is free with your airtime.

Read and post cruise reviews
Old January 27th, 2011, 12:40 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter

All correct - don't even turn on the wireless access while on the ship. Have all your books downloaded before you go.

You need a browser to log in to the ship's Internet anyway, and I dont think Kindle has one.

I just got a Droid tablet which I love, though. I has a Kindle reader, cost $189, and it has a browser and email. It is like an iPad but based on the Google Droid software. Theorhetically, I could use that on a ship, but I would still use my laptop because it is more efficient.

Shipboard Internet access costs about $.33/minute (maybe we should have said that upfront..)