CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Carnival Cruise Lines (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/carnival-cruise-lines/)
-   -   Future Cruise Certificate (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/carnival-cruise-lines/382761-future-cruise-certificate.html)

JLI219 May 28th, 2011 08:35 PM

Future Cruise Certificate

Hi All,

I just read on another site that a person bought a future cruise certificate. Can anyone tell me what this is? Is it true if you book another cruise while on a cruise, you get a good discount?

Thanks,
Jeff

NancyB May 28th, 2011 09:59 PM

In August 2010, we bought 2-$100 future cruise certificates from Carnival on the Conquest. WE were told at that time they were worth $200 each off our next cruise. So of course we bought them. When we got them on the last night-after midnight, delevered to the cabin mail box- they are worth the exact amount that we bought them for with regards to a 5-7 day cruise, and COULD be worth $200 each if used on a 12-14 day cruise. But could only be used one per cabin. That means that we would have to take 2 12-14 day cruises to get our money. Be sure to always ask questions. We wll use them, but I am disappointed and I feel cheated. They were not upfront or honest when they sold them to us. Had the lines to the pursers desk not been a mile long, I would have returned them. Buyer Beware!!!

On the up note, we are going on the Majic in May 2012. We are going to get our moneys worth, I hope.

Gail4cruising May 28th, 2011 11:30 PM

I have used these future cruise certificates and they are worth 200.00 each after you pay 100 for them..if you go on a 7 day cruise. If you just do a 5 day they are worth 150. You get 100 off the cruise price...the hundred you paid...then you get the other money as on board credit. I love using them and bought another one for my next future cruise next spring.

HawkeyeFLA May 29th, 2011 02:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gail4cruising (Post 1373463)
I have used these future cruise certificates and they are worth 200.00 each after you pay 100 for them..if you go on a 7 day cruise. If you just do a 5 day they are worth 150. You get 100 off the cruise price...the hundred you paid...then you get the other money as on board credit. I love using them and bought another one for my next future cruise next spring.

See. Here's the thing. If you go on a 7n cruise, you get the $100 OBC, and the price of the cruise is $100 less. But you paid $100 up front. So its only worth $100.

I suppose technically it has a value of $200, since it reduces the money spent on the cruise by $100 and gives $100 OBC ... but unless you're giving it as a gift, its still only an extra $100 to you.

Still a good deal for a regular cruiser, but anyone that can sit back and look at the math will figure out what its actual value is.

Donna May 29th, 2011 07:32 AM

I would hazzard a quess, that sometimes when purchasing one of these certificates that they may not even get used within the time period. Good deal for the cruiseline when that happens, easy $...

NancyB May 29th, 2011 08:06 AM

Thank you and I hope that is the case. I will be very happy if it is.
I do love Carnival and have only sailed with them. I will not know until next May when we sail. Either way, I am a loyal Carnival Cruiser.
Bon Voyage everyone.

skymaster May 29th, 2011 08:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Donna (Post 1373479)
I would hazzard a quess, that sometimes when purchasing one of these certificates that they may not even get used within the time period. Good deal for the cruiseline when that happens, easy $...

Not only that, but the cruise line has your money, and can make more money with it, until you use the certificate. It would be interesting to know what percentage of the certs are never used.
On the other hand, for those of us who cruise very regularly, they are a GREAT deal! I usually don't hold my certificates more than a couple of months, if even that, because we sail so often. I'll give 'em $100 to hold for a few months, for a return of $200 anytime!
The way I read NancyB's post, I think she's a little bit confused. The certificates are worth $200 total, if she uses them on a seven day cruise, or $150 on a shorter cruise, but they can't both be used on the same booking. IMO, still a very GOOD deal!

"SKY"

Snoozeman May 29th, 2011 10:21 AM

Excellent deal. Especially for a regular cruiser.

I just posted the online redemption site on another thread in case you want to redeem it online:

Carnival Cruise Lines - Future Carnival Vacation Form

flowers May 29th, 2011 10:57 AM

Here is Carnival's link to how FCCs work. It needs to be updated, as snoozeman says you no longer have to snail mail them in.

What is the Loyalty and Cruise Vacation Program - FAQ's - Carnival Funville

They have also gone from 5 years, to 4 years and now to 2 years. I have been doing group cruises where I cant apply them and have a bunch (4?) of them burning holes in my pocket I will probably have to cancel and get my money back.

OP you asked if you get a good discount . You get no discount using them. They are only good for onboard credit.

Snoozeman May 29th, 2011 11:00 AM

You can use them on group bookings. Do it all the time.

flowers May 29th, 2011 11:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snoozeman (Post 1373520)
You can use them on group bookings. Do it all the time.

Iv been booking thru cruise vouchers bought on ebay. The group cruises booked thru them I cannot use them on since you pay in full for the vouchers.

They are usually good on group cruises .. not all. I just booked another conquest cruise for about $600 or less total .. so even though I cant get the free OBC, its still worth it. Hopefully, Im allowed to say this?? I know on CC I cant say Carnival cruises are being discounted and how.

I posted my experience with cruise vouchers on another cruise message board and a TA went nuts and contacted every single cruiseline to lodge his complaint. Might be why the prices had to be further hidden under another layer, as the TA for cruisevouchers said he had to do it for legal reasons shortly thereafter. I know you are a TA and dont want to step on toes. I can assure you that Im 100% sure your customer service to your pax is way better than what they provide. .. so dont worry.

If I say they cannot be used on my group cruises .. Im sure!! lmao. :D but thats ok.