Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old August 13th, 2011, 11:09 AM
Familiar Face

Default Atlantis question.

This will be about our 4th time in Bahamas but our first time going to Atlantis. My 7year old grandson and I always do ship booked excursions. Here's my question: The description of the excursion for Atlantis says it's a 15 minute walk to get there. I don't mind walking, but being overweight, I don't walk that fast and I don't want to get separated from the group. If we took a taxi, would we be dropped off closer? Or am I making a big deal out of nothing.

Never done an excursion on our own, but my grandson wants to see the Digs and Predator Lagoon. Can we get a taxi right off the ship?

Embarassing question...but I had to ask!
Sponsored Links
Old August 13th, 2011, 11:41 AM
Captain

Have you checked the price booking direct? I would check that as the entrance fee can be quite high. Yes, a taxi should be able to get you closer than a bus would park.

I would want to see the acquarium if I paid to get in, as I hear its spectacular.
Old August 13th, 2011, 12:09 PM
Cruise Maniac

It is way too far to walk to. 15 minutes is a joke. They will have taxis grouping people together to go to Atlantis. I think it is $4. They will drop you at the entrance. There is no way I would walk to Atlantis from the terminal.
Old August 13th, 2011, 12:59 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwayne View Post
It is way too far to walk to. 15 minutes is a joke. They will have taxis grouping people together to go to Atlantis. I think it is $4. They will drop you at the entrance. There is no way I would walk to Atlantis from the terminal.
Ditto.... Do not walk. Take the taxi.
56 Carnival: Mardi Gras, Ecstasy X2, Fascination X6, Celebration, Elation X5, Glory X5, Fantasy X4, Valor, Holiday X3, Imagination, Liberty, Spirit X2, Freedom, Destiny X2, Splendor X2, Dream X2, Conquest, Legend X3, Victory, Sensation, Paradise, Inspiration, Magic X2, Triumph, Miracle X2, Breeze, Sunshine X3
7 Norwegian: Sky, Jewel, Dawn, Epic, Pearl, Breakaway, Getaway
7 Windjammer: S/V Legacy X3, S/V Polynesia, S/V Caledonia, S/V Diamant, S/V Sagitta
HAL Statendam
Old August 13th, 2011, 01:06 PM
Admiral

Can't help but I think your question has been answered...all I will add is DIY excursions give you more time at places & if the place you were going to is easy & close to the port why not?
Old August 13th, 2011, 01:16 PM
Cruise Maniac

And as a follow up - Do not take the Water Taxi! It will leave you with more walking to do. Plus I don't think the darn things are safe.
Old August 13th, 2011, 03:55 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Snoozeman Send a message via Yahoo to Snoozeman

The 15 minute walk must be from the bus parking lot or perhaps water taxi. It's a MUCH longer walk from the terminal.

As suggested by others a taxi will drop you right at the front door. Then pay for what you do once you get there.

BTW--they used to ONLY take credit cards, no cash, in the bars so be prepared. Even just for a coke.

My Personal Cruise Blog: My Cruise Blog

Future Cruises:
Carnival Dream-Caribbean-7/13/2014, Carnival Triumph-Caribbean-7/28/2014, Carnival Legend-South Pacific-8/30/2014, MSC Preziosa-Mediterranean-10/25/2014, MSC Fantasia-Mediterranean-11/2/2014, Navigator of the Seas-12/14/2013, Norwegian Jewel-1/3/2015, Emerald Princess-1/11/2015, Carnival Freedom-2/2/2015, Carnival Freedom-2/15/2015.
Old August 13th, 2011, 04:13 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

I agree, I think the 15 minute walk they are talking about is from the water taxi, that is about right, but by taking a regular taxi, they will drop you off at the front door.

I just know your grandson will love the tour of the dig, it's an amazing aquarium, also nice to get all the info as you walk through, well worth the $.

Message Boards Moderator
Old August 13th, 2011, 08:08 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

Nothing is embarrasing here, you just ask away... You don't need to purchase this excursion from the ship either...Relax in the air conditioned cab or van, and enjoy the ride over. Make sure you take a look at the magnificent Dale Chilouly glass sculpture in the lobby.

Your Grandson,will love every minute, especially walking through the tunnel in the aquarium....seeing the sharks and sea life all aroung is amazing!

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Last edited by Trip; August 14th, 2011 at 05:17 PM.
Old August 14th, 2011, 05:10 PM
Familiar Face

Default great advice....

Thanks to everyone for your advice and help. We are going to take the cab! It will be our first time, but I'm sure it won't be our last.
Old August 26th, 2011, 06:33 PM
Familiar Face

DO NOT WALK. I would go on the Carnival Excursion. Not really a safe area around the port. Also, my husband got really hurt in the large pyramid looking water slide, he skinned his head up really bad. I also hurt my bottom side coming down. Make sure he knows that some of the water slides can be a little dangerous. Even the lazy river is a bit dangerous at times!
Old August 29th, 2011, 12:41 PM
Familiar Face

Atlantis Junkie & Mother of one son, age 6. Take my advice - purchase the Carnival Excursion "Atlantis Aquaventure" and be prepared to have the time of your life. You get to do everything (Dig, Waterpark, etc.) plus they pick you up, drop you at Atlantis and bring you back.

Don't try to do this on your own - pay the price and be prepared for your grandson to have an AWESOME time with minimal planning on your part. WELL WORTH THE $$$. I do it everytime we cruise into Nassau.

Happy Sailing!
Old August 29th, 2011, 08:57 PM
Admiral

What is the price for this aqua adventure? I think going with kids, may be well worth it?

Message Boards Moderator
Old September 1st, 2011, 12:35 PM
Familiar Face

There is a half day price and a full day price depending on your itenirary. Budget about $125 for adults and $100 for kids.
Old September 1st, 2011, 03:02 PM
Admiral

Is this $125 a half day price I am thinking??

Message Boards Moderator