Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 22nd, 2012, 04:59 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to cherylroy
Default buying purfume on ship

I am soooo upset!!! We bought 5 purfumes on the ship -- 3 for woman, 2 for men. THINKING we got a good price - as they advertise they are 25% cheaper than land - we came home and they are cheaper (two of them almost 20 dollars cheaper) on amazon for SAME THING!!! Ohhhh how I wish we could get our money back!
Old January 22nd, 2012, 06:18 PM
Familiar Face

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherylroy View Post
I am soooo upset!!! We bought 5 purfumes on the ship -- 3 for woman, 2 for men. THINKING we got a good price - as they advertise they are 25% cheaper than land - we came home and they are cheaper (two of them almost 20 dollars cheaper) on amazon for SAME THING!!! Ohhhh how I wish we could get our money back!
Sorry to hear you were disapointed but that does happen sometimes but you still did save 20 on 2 which is a savings of $40 right there and also with buying them on the ship you saved by not haveing to pay taxes and if you got them on Amazon you would have had to pay taxes and shipping so looking at the big picture, it seems to me you saved more than you had thought you saved.
Old January 22nd, 2012, 06:26 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to cherylroy

nope - the others were cheaper also - just not 20.00 and it was free shipping with amazon. I hope others read this post and learn from my BIG mistake!
Old January 22nd, 2012, 06:45 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

Buying online won't give you the cruise experience though One thing to consider, on a ship, the stock probably has a better shelf life,and buying online, you could get something that has been around for a while,and has an "off" aroma.

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old January 22nd, 2012, 06:49 PM
Familiar Face

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherylroy View Post
nope - the others were cheaper also - just not 20.00 and it was free shipping with amazon. I hope others read this post and learn from my BIG mistake!
Regardless you saved some money and in this economey a savings is a savings and it was duty free.....And you got it on a cruise......I would be happy with that if I were you.
Old January 22nd, 2012, 07:11 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

Next time, just do your homework before you leave home...I did that for my last cruise and ended up NOT buying any perfume on the cruise, ship or land. The prices were no better, so why not just get it at home...Although, knowing prices, could also work the other way, you may find a great deal while cruising, just check prices at home before you leave so you have something to go by.

Like Trip said, you got to shop on your cruise, that in itself is half the fun anyway....Lesson learned, so don't fret about it.

Message Boards Moderator
Old January 22nd, 2012, 07:21 PM
Familiar Face

nd buying it on the ship she didnt have to pay taxes either so that if nothing else is a savings too
Old January 22nd, 2012, 07:21 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

Taking the tear strips from magazines, that have prices on it, is also an easy way to compare to see if the deal is a good one......a deal can always be found, and, Amazon seems to be the place to find one at home! I recently bought Lolita Lempika, on Amazon,and it was a good deal

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old January 22nd, 2012, 09:16 PM
Welcome Newcomer

You can also get the prices of the perfumes you like on the ship and then got to the Internet café and do some comparison shopping. The amount you spend on your Internet time may make it worth it.
Old January 23rd, 2012, 12:44 AM
Welcome Newcomer

I agree! I just came back from a cruise a week ago and bought 2 bottle of higher end perfume. I received a 10% discount and of course duty free. After I read the original thread I went on Amazon and found I did not pay more or less One thing to remember is if you read the reviews on Amazon a lot of the perfumes are Testers and there is no packaging.
I for one was pleased with my purchases on the ship. If you shop on the last couple of days of the cruise you can find alot of clearance items that they place out near raffle times.
For me the one thing I would think twice about is purchasing watches on the ships and other fine jewels for that matter. Knowing what I know and my mother being in the fine jewel business for over 20 years you can really find better deals elsewhere!
Old January 23rd, 2012, 07:42 AM
Welcome Newcomer

Default buying purfume on ship

I agree friend..Last month I also purchase a watches which are completely duty free and without any taxes. I am not sure about purchasing a jewels. I think it is not duty free.***Edited to remove commercial reference***

Last edited by Donna; January 23rd, 2012 at 09:11 AM. Reason: removed hyper link