Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old February 13th, 2012, 03:23 PM
Welcome Newcomer

Default Carnival cruise is it right for me?

A little background.....

I am giving my kids a vacation for Christmas. Wanted to do a Disney cruise. Wanted to leave out of an LA port, to save airfare. No Disney cruises out of LA until after May. I am looking at going Jan 2013. I have cruised Carnival before with out kids. I am seeing a Carnival cruise out of LA to the Mexican Riviera Jan 13, for a decent price (much better than Disney) Was calling to reserve when I got cold feet....

1) will kids have a great time on Carnival? ages 17-4

2) will I freeze in the Mexican Riviera in Jan? I live where it is cold 9 months of the year and I want warm for a vacation!

TIA for any input you have....I just found this board and cant wait to get reading!
Sponsored Links
Old February 13th, 2012, 03:33 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

Welcome to Cruisemates!
I have never sailed this itinerary, so, I can't speak to the weather in January, but, this timing, coming right off the holiday vacation, means there will more than likely, less kids onboard, and you should factor that in.

In genera,l Camp Carnival,makes for happy parents.

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old February 13th, 2012, 04:09 PM
Welcome Newcomer

less kids? what do you mean factor that in? better because the kids programs will be less busy or worse because it will be more of an adult type environment aboard the ship?
Old February 13th, 2012, 04:17 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter

The Mexican Riviera is definitely very warm all year round. I have been colder on caribbean cruises.

Which Carnival ship are you looking at?

Carnival does have excellent kids programs, but 4 is pretty young and 17 is pretty old.

I don't know if you can afford a week but the new Sapphire Princess with all the latest upgrades looks pretty good, too. And it is big enough to have plenty of kids onboard on most cruises.

Norwegian is another option.
Old February 13th, 2012, 04:21 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

The time of year you cruise, either adds many kids, as a holiday sailing would, or, the sailing you mentioned shortly after kids have already had their holiday vacation, and are back in school, have less kids. Younger kids would be more likely, on this cruise

Things like this need to be factored in...will your 17 year old be bored? Can your kids entertain themeslves if their ages are not represented well, in CC,and they don't want to go?

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old February 14th, 2012, 02:48 PM
Welcome Newcomer

I did look into ncl, they were sold out at the inside cabin rate. As far as the other if I am going to pay $750 or more per passenger I was thinking to go Disney, but I would in that case have airfare
Old February 14th, 2012, 04:04 PM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by luv2vaca View Post
I did look into ncl, they were sold out at the inside cabin rate. As far as the other if I am going to pay $750 or more per passenger I was thinking to go Disney, but I would in that case have airfare
If you're going to consider Disney and going to fly, don't forget you now have 3 different choices out of FL with the Wonder being in MIA. Something to look at as you're looking at airfare. Also Magic will be sailing out of Galveston during that time frame, which could help make for lower cost airfare for you.

Past cruises:

Disney Dream - Dec 2013 4n Bahamas
Disney Dream - Dec 2012 4n Bahamas
Carnival Imagination - Dec 2011 4n Western
Carnival Imagination - Nov 2010 4n Western
Costa Atlantica - Dec 2009 7n Eastern

My opinions are mine and mine alone. They do not represent the opinions of The Walt Disney Company nor any of its subsidiaries.
Old February 14th, 2012, 05:32 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Snoozeman Send a message via Yahoo to Snoozeman

I think you and the family will be very pleased with the Carnival cruise.

Just do it!

My Personal Cruise Blog: My Cruise Blog

Future Cruises:
Carnival Triumph-Caribbean-7/28/2014, Carnival Legend-South Pacific-8/30/2014, MSC Preziosa-Mediterranean-10/25/2014, MSC Fantasia-Mediterranean-11/2/2014, Navigator of the Seas-12/14/2013, Norwegian Jewel-1/3/2015, Emerald Princess-1/11/2015, Carnival Freedom-2/2/2015, Carnival Freedom-2/15/2015.
Old February 15th, 2012, 09:36 AM
Welcome Newcomer

lol, that gave me a chuckle, thanks!
Old February 15th, 2012, 10:27 AM
Cruise Maniac

We like Carnival quite a bit, and find it to be a really good value. I think your 4 year old is likely be pretty easy to please. Carnival is known for having pretty good kids programs, and the little ones always seem to be having a blast. For the 17 year old, I think it will be more up to then. If they go and participate in the programs they have and meet people, that would probably be the best. I know tons of teens that go on one cruise and get absolutely hooked, but I think they just need to do as much as the ship offers and be open. There will be plenty to do for all of you, and at least on Carnival, you know that you will have familiar food consistently available.

P.S.- My best friend has a teenage boy, and his favorite cruise activity is to stay in the stateroom when they go to the night show and order every single item off the room service menu and watch a movie. Funny, but whatever keeps them happy (thank god room service is free)