Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old December 5th, 2012, 09:54 PM
Familiar Face

Default So I Got a Call From a Carnival Rep. Yesterday..

A younger lady called me yesterday from Carnival. She asked if we were excited for our cruise this weekend and that it looked like all our ducks were in a row (paperworkwise). She then asks if we were cruising for a special ocasion. I told her yes it's our honeymoon. She then said well then this makes this offer that I'm about to tell you about even better!

She told me that they had just recently had a cancellation for one of their top suites and were offering it at a reduced price. Of course she had to talk about how nice of a room it was and what it all offered before she would give me the new price. Finally she got around to telling me how much extra it would cost me. $845 which was a savings of almost of $1000 over what the room would normally go for. I told her that we were not interested and we were'nt really planning on spending a ton of time in our rooms in the first place. Thats when I got the snobby "What?, really it's your honeymoon, are you sure?" I said yes I was sure but thanks for offering. This was followed by a snobby "OK then"

I'm not really complaining about it but at the same time the way her attitude was when I told her we werent interested wasnt very professional in my opinion. My wife and I lived together for almost 2 years before we got married so I don't consider the "honeymoon" as sexual as some may, and the way the lady responded bugged me some.

If it werent for the fact that I will be out of work for 3 months or so after the cruise due to needing back surgery I may have splurged and booked that room, but we plan on enjoying more of what the ship offers then the room.
Sponsored Links
Old December 5th, 2012, 10:12 PM
Captain

Sounds like the Upsell Dept. Some wish they would get called and then some get called and the deals are not always that good.

I would not feel bad at all about turning them down if you were not interested. Its none of their business why.

I would have been turned off if she was pushy with me and said no just because I didnt like her attitude if nothing else. I dont like when people are pushy.

Call me suspicious .. but I would not believe you were the first person they called...so if it were such a great deal .. how many others already turned it down. That's a lot of money to me. Try and not let it bother you. She probably had 10 no's before she got to you and was hoping to push you into it so she could go home.

Last edited by flowers; December 5th, 2012 at 10:27 PM.
Old December 6th, 2012, 09:40 AM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

This telephone solicitor from Carnival, needs to be re-trained. Once you declined the offer, she should have wished you well,and said good-by.

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old December 6th, 2012, 10:47 AM
Admiral

As Trip said, that should have happened..but it does not always happen. Carnival has some pushy people.
Old December 6th, 2012, 11:12 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

Just a couple of years ago it would have been more likely for you to get a call offering you a free upgrade.

Now, that is sadly gone. My Blog a couple of weeks back was about the demise of the upgrade fairy...
Cruisemates Blog The Upgrade Fairy Has Transferred To Sales ? Kuki

These people are now paid to "make the sale", even for upgrades.
- The Kuki Side of Cruising-
A new Blog post every Wednesday
http://www.cruisemates.com/blog/author/kuki/
Old December 6th, 2012, 11:26 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

It just seemed to me, a bit of a high price, even for an upsell, so close to your cruise. I agree, once you declined, that should of been the end to it.

Message Boards Moderator
Old December 6th, 2012, 01:05 PM
Admiral

She thought a newlywed would be a good upsell. Of course you can have just as much rumpy-pumpy in an interior cabin as a suite. I doubt that had anything to do with it.

A Bad Day At Sea [with power] Always Beats A Good Day At Work
Carnival: Glory 2004, Destiny 2008, Splendor 2009, Freedom 2011, Valor 2012, Dream 2013
Celebrity: Summit 2011
Princess: Ruby 2010, 2014, Caribbean 2013, Coral 2014
Old December 6th, 2012, 06:02 PM
Cruise Maniac

I too received a call from the sales dept to upgrage to a balcony cabin. It was almost 300 upgrade fee. I have declined it. As was mentioned the free upgrade fairy has went away it seems. I have been on 17 cruises and have never ever received even an upgrade to a higher floor or outside cabin much less a balcony or any type of suite. I was offered an upgrade a few cruises ago to the biggest suite on the ship (cant remember the name they used) and the fee for that was going to be 1800. Needless to say i did not take that one either.
Carnival Celebration 03/06
Carnival Fantasy 12/06
Carnival Fantasy 04/07
Carnival Glory 10/07
Carnival Fantasy Jan 2008
Carnival Fascination Oct 2008
Carnival Holiday April 2009
Carnival Dream Dec 2009
Carnival Triumph Jan 2010
Carnival Dream May 2010
Carnival Elation Jan 2011
Carnival Triumph May 2011