CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Carnival Cruise Lines (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/carnival-cruise-lines/)
-   -   Question for Cruiseplanner ...Pete (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/carnival-cruise-lines/398721-question-cruiseplanner-pete.html)

Aerogirl September 9th, 2013 03:17 PM

Question for Cruiseplanner ...Pete

Was the big Carnival announcement about a free cruise for TA's?

storybookcruises.com September 9th, 2013 06:04 PM

Yes, it was. Waiting to find out if we were one of the lucky ones to get it. They had a limited supply and it was first come. We're suppose to find out in a couple of days. It's really not a great big deal because anyone could buy the cruise for about $600 for the two people, but hey, a free cruise is always a good thing and sure beats a sharp stick in the eye!

It's one of Carnival's attempt to get travel agents interested in their product again after screwing with us for the last couple of years.

Pete

Aerogirl September 9th, 2013 06:30 PM

I thought it was pretty funny when I seen that's all it was simply because of their "big announcement " they were going to release today. I had read chatter elsewhere and all the speculation was entertaining . At the time people didn't realize it was only sent to TA's.

Guess their trying to play nice with you guys.

storybookcruises.com September 9th, 2013 07:43 PM

We got advanced notice and opportunity to apply last week, but the announcement today was that on 9/11 they're opening up some free cruises for agents who are members of their special rewards and then on 9/12 for other agents. So, if we weren't among the first of the elite group to get one, then we'll have to apply again on 9/11. But it'll be interesting to see how many cruises they offer to agents, but it's clearly to encourage agents to try their product firsthand so they can become more familiar with it and perhaps sell more of them. We'll wait to see how all this works for them.

Pete

Donna September 9th, 2013 08:02 PM

Pete,
Heck, free is free, let us know If you get one....got my fingers crossed.....

storybookcruises.com September 9th, 2013 11:01 PM

Thanks, Donna!

Our 4-1/2 year old grandson has been begging us to take him on a cruise. Whenever he's visiting, he always hears me talking to people and looking at the deck plans, so he looks at the brochures. Cracks me up as he tells me all about the ships! He's been really wanting to do a Disney cruise - figure we'll have to take him sooner or later. But right now, any cruise will do, so we applied for a triple cabin and we'll keep our fingers crossed, too!

Pete

Queen of Oakville September 10th, 2013 10:14 AM

Good Luck Pete!

Aerogirl September 10th, 2013 10:57 AM

Fingers crosses!!!

storybookcruises.com September 17th, 2013 08:12 PM

Just got notice today that we got a free triple balcony cabin on the Glory on 12/8/12!! Not only are we excited, but our 4-1/2 year old grandson is very excited that he gets to go on his first cruise with us. Ought to be an adventure, that's for sure!!

Pete

Moiraine September 17th, 2013 08:37 PM

Congrats. I hope your grandson enjoys his first cruise.

storybookcruises.com September 17th, 2013 09:00 PM

Thanks!

I know he will - he's such a hoot! He looks at all the brochures and tells me all about the ships. Makes up stories about how he steers the ship! Funny listening to him talk about - almost like he's already been there and done that - has a great imagination, so it'll be a real trip seeing it for the first time through his eyes.

Pete

Donna September 18th, 2013 08:52 AM

Congrats Pete,
May the fun begin!

Aerogirl September 18th, 2013 10:06 AM

How nice!
You can come wave goodbye to us on the Liberty on the 7 th if your down there early!

Queen of Oakville September 18th, 2013 11:10 AM

awesome!!!! congrats!

Quote:

Originally Posted by cruise planner (Post 1484831)
Just got notice today that we got a free triple balcony cabin on the Glory on 12/8/12!! Not only are we excited, but our 4-1/2 year old grandson is very excited that he gets to go on his first cruise with us. Ought to be an adventure, that's for sure!!

Pete

Moiraine September 18th, 2013 06:43 PM

Well, we'll have to hear all about the cruise after it's over.

storybookcruises.com September 18th, 2013 07:02 PM

I just hope we'll be able to keep up with him!

I referee hockey and often I'm on the ice for up to 4-1/2 hours with kids of all ages, but trying to keep up with my grandson for an hour wears my ass out! We may have more wisdom, but a 4-year old (almost 5) has alot more energy than I do! And heaven forbid we feed him anything with sugar in it!! I only hope Camp Carnival can keep up with him. rofl

Pete

Aerogirl September 18th, 2013 09:28 PM

I know your not a fan of Carnival hopefully you will have an ok time.

storybookcruises.com September 18th, 2013 09:45 PM

Yep, not a big fan of Carnival corporate, that's for sure!

But their product is okay and we've never had a bad cruise on Carnival. Crew has always been great, food is okay, rooms are nice, itineraries are good. They have some wonderful comedians. Not a supporter of their shore excursions.

As I always say, you get what you pay for and they are the cheapest.

But we're really looking forward to it, even though we've been to all the ports at least once and to Cozumel and Grand Cayman many times. We've been to Roatan, but not to Mahogany Bay, so we're anxious to personally check it out since we've gotten alot of feedback from clients - some positive, but mostly negative. So we're caught between wanting to see all that Mahogany Bay has to offer and just doing our own thing and go to West Bay Beach where we personally know the snorkeling is among the best in the world. I guess because of the time we're there (7:00am - 3:00pm) and we'll have our grandson with us, we'll probably bypass snorkeling this trip.

No matter - we'll have a wonderful time because it's a cruise and we always enjoy ourselves on a cruise no matter who it's with or where we're going.

Besides, we get to see it through our grandson's eyes for the first time and that is a very precious thing. So it won't be about us and what we want to do, but it'll be about him and what he wants to do. After 46 cruises, this will afford us a fresh look from a whole new perspective, so we're really excited about the whole thing.

Pete

Aerogirl September 18th, 2013 11:36 PM

It should be fun with the little guy and being part of his first cruise.

Aerogirl September 19th, 2013 10:41 AM

Pete
Have you been on any of the ships with the 2.0 upgrades? I haven't but will be in December. I hear good things about Glory.

storybookcruises.com September 19th, 2013 01:27 PM

No, not yet, which is one of the major reasons why we're so excited about doing this cruise. It's been too long since we've been on a Carnival cruise and we've been needing to go on one. (We were on the Carnival Pride 3 years ago.) But there are so many cruise lines, so many ships, and so many ports that it's tough to try them all. Of course, it's alot of fun to try as many as we can and we do try to go out about 3 - 4 times a year. We did our 25-day Asian Odyssey earlier this year, which ate up alot of budget, but we did get to cruise on the completely renovated Grandeur of the Seas and now get to do the Carnival Glory. So we'll end up with a good year of varying experiences.

All this talk about the Glory is making me want to go right now! I don't want to wait 2-1/2 months!!

We were talking to our Azamara rep two days ago and we're trying to plan a cruise with them for next year - just not sure if it'll be in Europe, Asia, or So. America. That'll break the budget for next year!

But we're also discussing doing the new MSC Divina early next year as we've never done an MSC cruise and now that they're going to have a full-time presence out of Florida to the Caribbean, it's important to experience them.

Pete

Aerogirl September 19th, 2013 02:01 PM

Now MSC cruises out of Florida peaked my interest , I know nothing about the line.

We leave the day before you do...you need to come wave bye to us!

storybookcruises.com September 19th, 2013 08:41 PM

We've had alot of clients go on MSC and so far we've gotten mixed reviews - seems to be a love/hate relationship - people either love them or hate them. Those who have not traveled alot in Europe aren't use to their ways, whereas those who have travel alot in Europe, appreciate the differences.

MSC stands for Mediterranean Shipping Company. They started selling cruises in 1985, but changed the name to MSC Cruises in 1995. It's heavily Italian and many Americans are turned off by the experience since they cater more to the European clientele.

Now that they are porting a ship in Florida full-time, it'll be interesting to see what changes, if any, they make to cater more to the No. American clientele in order to attract more Americans to their brand.

Pete

Moiraine September 23rd, 2013 11:07 AM

Pete, I almost wish I could come with you to see your grandson on hhis first cruise! Good luck with the energy!

storybookcruises.com September 23rd, 2013 06:10 PM

It'll definitely be fun watching him, that's for sure!

We've always 'seen' families come onboard, but never really 'watched' the reactions of the kids. Guess that comes with having done so many cruises (46) and not really wanting to sail with kids. So this will surely be a unique and wonderful experience for all of us. It's like we'll be seeing it for the first time through his eyes and that will be precious.

Pete