CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (
-   Carnival Cruise Lines (
-   -   San Juan Cab Companies Nickel and Dime-ing (

EMG September 9th, 2013 07:42 PM

San Juan Cab Companies Nickel and Dime-ing
Just got back from my 7 day cruise departing from PR and boy was I shocked when I jumped in a cab from the airport to the ship and from the ship to the hotel and my brother from the ship to the rental car agency to learn about an additional fee.

San Juan cabbies are now charging $1 per bag so on top of the cab fare you're now paying for your bags to travel (in the cab) as well. This $1 per bag fee is geared towards to tourists because when in hell else would you have luggage with you?

I didn't tip as I feel the bag fee is a rip off. The same as I fly only on Southwest Airlines whenever they service my US Travel destinations because I think bag fees suck.

Donna September 9th, 2013 09:04 PM

Not sure if this is really anything new, I remember paying a free per bag years ago....I still tip, but not as much as I may without the per bag charge...

Manuel September 9th, 2013 11:17 PM

I don't consider $1 per bag a rip-off at all. I would still tip.

And furthermore if everyone gave a generous tip they would not need to charge extra for the bags.

If you can afford to cruise you can afford an extra couple of bucks for the bags.

TM September 9th, 2013 11:57 PM

It has been $1 per bag as long as I can remember. Actually, I'm surprised it hasn't gone up in the last 13 years.

I don't consider $16 for the cab fare from the airport to the pier plus $2 for our 2 bags to be all that bad. That's about $18 for a roughly 13 miles trip. I pay $23 to get from our house to Dulles Airport and it's only about 8 miles! From the Ft. Lauderdale airport to the pier, which is only about 4.5 miles, is $12. So when you look at cost versus mileage, San Juan is not such a bad deal at all.

Plus, while we're standing in line at the Puerto Rico airport, we ask people if they're going to the same ship we are and inevitably we always find someone so we can share a van. Price then becomes $20 for 4 people with a total of 4 bags. At $5 per person, that's a deal! And coming back is easier because almost everyone is heading to the airport so it's not a problem finding someone to share a taxi. In fact, I can't ever remember a time we didn't share a taxi to/from the pier.

EMG September 10th, 2013 01:37 AM

In PR twice before and never for bags. Really silly for someone to say if I can afford a cruise I can afford $1 per bag. I also assume you think since I make over 250k a year I can afford to pay higher taxes? Terrible analogy!

green_rd September 10th, 2013 07:46 AM

I have seen a bag fee posted on a Lott taxi fare charts. I suppose it is to compensate for them hoisting your bags in and out of the trunk.

My pet peeve, which others see as wonderful service, is hotel valets who have your bags halfway to reception before I have paid my driver. Now I have to tip them for something I could do perfectly well myself.

Manuel September 10th, 2013 08:49 AM

Originally Posted by EMG (Post 1484289)
. I also assume you think since I make over 250k a year I can afford to pay higher taxes? Terrible analogy!

I don't assume anything about your taxes. But you can certainly afford to give a taxi driver a tip.
When I was in the US Army, I did not earn much but a number of times that I had to take a taxi, I always gave the driver a tip.