CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Carnival Cruise Lines (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/carnival-cruise-lines/)
-   -   Contacting Carnival (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/carnival-cruise-lines/399772-contacting-carnival.html)

Master Chief November 7th, 2013 04:40 PM

Contacting Carnival

Just tried to call our PVP. Phone answering system at Carnival just keeps looping around to "Hi, welcome to Carnival" and doesn't allow you to dial the PVP extension. Waited about 15 minutes (listening to a terrible PR tape for Carnival) to talk to a booking person. She stated that the whole system is changing, that PVP's now handle only 1st time cruisers, etc. We have had the same PVP for over 10 years. How can a PVP only handle 1st time cruisers? Thought the rationale for a PVP was service for returning customers? I don't like this change at all. Has anybody else had any problems contacting Carnival and a PVP?

Trip November 7th, 2013 06:53 PM

I think this part of the paragraph, makes a big statement:"talk to a booking person." Since this process is changed, I believe the best course of action is to book with a cruise travel agency.

storybookcruises.com November 7th, 2013 07:17 PM

I agree with Trip - only book with an agent. We're always here when you need us!

But as for Carnival, when you call in, 95% of the time you're talking to someone who; 1) works in a call center, 2) has worked for the company less than six months, 3) is not a certified travel agent, and 4) has never even been on a cruise or to any of the ports. Their number one job is to sell you something.

So, if you call in and ask for your PVP and they can't/won't transfer you, then either ask for a supervisor or call back and talk to someone else. Eventually, you'll get someone who will not give you the runaround because what she's saying about PVP's is not true.

Pete

Aerogirl November 7th, 2013 09:38 PM

The story the person gave you sounds odd, I would try again.

Master Chief November 8th, 2013 09:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trip (Post 1488686)
I think this part of the paragraph, makes a big statement:"talk to a booking person." Since this process is changed, I believe the best course of action is to book with a cruise travel agency.

Trip,

We have used travel agents and we have used our PVP. I understand the value of a travel agent and what they can do for you. However, we have used the same PVP for over 10 years and never had a problem. My main concern was that I couldn't access the Carnival phone system. The person I did talk to gave me the information I needed.

And I agree something seems fishy here. I'll keep trying to find the PVP we always used.

Thanks for all the answers.

Dave Beers November 8th, 2013 10:10 AM

I suspect that whoever you talked to either didn't know the correct answer, just blew you off to get rid of you, or misunderstood your question. If the PVP duties had changed to booking first timers only surely it would be all over the internet by now, and it isn't.

Aerogirl November 8th, 2013 10:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Master Chief (Post 1488723)
Trip,

We have used travel agents and we have used our PVP. I understand the value of a travel agent and what they can do for you. However, we have used the same PVP for over 10 years and never had a problem. My main concern was that I couldn't access the Carnival phone system. The person I did talk to gave me the information I needed.

And I agree something seems fishy here. I'll keep trying to find the PVP we always used.

Thanks for all the answers.

I agree if you have someone you've used for that long of time and its been working for you I wouldn't switch.

Call Carnival again as I believe Dave hit the nail on the head, I not think the person you talked to knows what they were talking about .
Good luck and happy booking!

Paul Motter November 11th, 2013 02:18 PM

Maybe HER job was to only help first-time cruisers.

Carnival is trying very hard to re-establish its reputation with travel agents - many of them gave up on the line for several reasons in the last few years (difficulties in making bookings).

So, there are changes afoot at Carnival.

Please let us know if you get in touch with your original PVP again, and I suggest getting a direct line number from him/her when you do if that is possible.

Master Chief November 12th, 2013 08:04 PM

OK. Problem solved. Received a call from my new PVP today. The PVP that I had previously worked with is no longer with Carnival. Appears she retired. And the phone number now works so I have to assume (yes, I know what assume means) that there was some phone problem that has been fixed. Thanks for all the comments and remarks. And we are looking to our Feb 2014 cruise on the Conquest. So once again, thanks for all your concerns.