Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Celebrity
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old August 26th, 2000, 09:51 PM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via AIM to James Send a message via Yahoo to James
Default hawaii

I have mentioned that I will be on Infinity next april, my question is to any one who might know. due to the size of the various islands I wonder if renting a car would be the best thing to do. I know that celebrity will have excursions available and i can see myself using this service but some how renting a car sounds good. I think that taxis are out of the question.
Sponsored Links
Old August 27th, 2000, 10:12 AM
Tim Rubacky

Default RE: hawaii

James,

This is an excellent idea and a great way to see the islands. Just make sure you do some advance planning by getting some guide books and maps and plan out your adventures ashore well in advance.

And make sure you allot enough time at the beginging and end to pick and drop off the vehicle and make it back to the ship on time.

One thing to consider in regards to cost is that daily rentals can be a bit on the expensive side so what seems to be relatively inexpensive may turn out to be a costly venture.

Another thing to consider would be to research and compare costs of booking tours yourself through some of the better tour operators and comparing them to the cost of the cruise line excursions. You can find a great deal of information and even book on the web.

Personally, since I have never been to hawaii, I would be more inclined to hire a driver if possible as I have found is usually the case, they know all the highlights to hit, what to avoid and can provide info on the legends and lore of the islands.

I'd contact the Hawaii Convention and Visitors Bureau for more information.

<http://www.hvcb.org>

Hope this helps!

Tim Rubacky
Consumer Affairs Editor
Old August 27th, 2000, 04:10 PM
Admiral

I totally agree that renting a car is a good idea having toured the Hawaiian Islands twice on our own. The positive points are you are in America and no special licenses or knowledge of driving is needed. If you have AAA, just get some good individual island maps: Big Island - head to Volcano's National Park, stop at a black sand beach on the way back for lunch, check out a "Frommer's Hawaii on $$ a Day Guide" book for reasonable tourist not to be missed sites. Kaui- you will have to make a choice - If you can get up real early (like 6 a.m.) head for the Canyon. Drive all the way to the top for a absolutely fabulous view =about 1-1/2 hr. drive) . Stop at the visitor center/ restaurant for breakfast on the way down. If it gets rainy or cloudy, it will probably happen well after sunrise. Stop at the pull offs on the way down, stop in Poipou and other sites on the way back. Or, head to the Right towards Princeville, Hanelli Bay and cross many one lane bridges to the end. Do allow plenty of time to return to the ship. Hawaii has traffic too and most roads are just two lanes and even though marked with highway numbers, you are actually going through small villages and towns. On Maui, another real early start is necessary, but go to Halekela Crater then when you come down, drive the road to Hana (at least part of the way, if time allows. On Oahu take the ships tours. This is a very busy island but with attractions you will not want to miss; Pearl Harbor can be easily reached by town bus but the Polnysian Cultural Center (is not to be missed) to give you a greater understanding of the many cultures who have inhabited these islands. My first Frommer's book was for Hawaii @ $50 a day. We were not trying to stick to a "budget" but the tips helped really enjoy the island and to try authentic food and beautiful sites.

bon voyage
Old August 27th, 2000, 05:02 PM
CrzLvr

Just last night looking at the Infinity Itinerary, saw the 3 days at sea, and immediately thought of my husbands horror stories of return from Korea on board a Naval Vessel and the rough seas. He passed away never taking a cruise, because of that experience.

Can anyone tell me if the Pacific is as rough as I have had it portrayed to me. I understand that there is a decided difference between a Cruise Ship and a Military Vessel and I am sure comfort of passengers is paramount for a Cruise Line.

But just wondering. I do want to sail to Hawaii, but I need that protrayal I have, to be erased from my mind. Please help
Old August 27th, 2000, 05:36 PM
Admiral

Although I have not sailed to or in Hawaii, the ocean from land seems relatively calm but there can be big waves as at the "pipe line" on Oahu. Think of the big new cruise ships as your floating hotel and means of transportation from island to island. Now if you are talking a reposition cruise from or to the islands from the USA or Vancouver with many straight days at sea, that may be a totally different option.

Don't wait for you too may regret never having traveled to Hawaii. It is a most beautiful state and the people are wonderful.
Old August 27th, 2000, 06:54 PM
Cruise Maniac

Nine trips to Hawaii, and a car rental is the only way to go. You can go where you
wish, stop as long as you wish. Some cautions however, not all rentals are close
to the pier where the ships dock or where the tenders land. Be sure and check to
see where you can pick up your car. On some islands you will need to go to the
airport in order to get your rental. Most ships arrive in port too late for long trips,
but "plan ahead"--the islands are unique and beautiful.
Old August 27th, 2000, 07:03 PM
CrzLvr

I love Hawaii, I just hate the flight from the east coast, we even stoppedover in SFO last time, but 12 hours is a long time to fly. But worth it once you get there, I have never seen such beauty almost ethereal and on the Big Island quite magical..

I would love to cruise there from the west coast, don't know where the Infinity is departing from, but am afraid of those seas husband spoke of. Can anyone speak on the sailing factors from the West Cost to Honolulu. If it is as rough as it was on the North Shore of Hawaii, it doesn't look to be too smooth.
Old August 27th, 2000, 07:47 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

We cruised Vancouver to Honolulu, Sept.99. Had 5 sea days getting there. The first night leaving Vancouver we had fairly big seas, but the rest of the trip felt very much like the Caribbean.
Don't let this worry keep u from this trip. Load up the Bonine and hit the pier!!!!

Regards,
Kuki
Features Editor
CruiseMates.com
Old August 27th, 2000, 08:14 PM
Winner

You referred to your husband's military voyage from Korea; he would have been in the wider open western Pacific. We have sailed 3 times from West coast to Hawaii; only had slightly rough day when leaving Ensenada.
Buy some guide books on Hawaii, especially those focussing on driving the islands. If you book ahead of time some rental companies will meet you at the docks and if you shop around rates can be reasonable. All the islands are beautiful and easy to navigate, but Oahu can be very crowded and full of traffic--you might consider a ship's tour there or taxi to Pearl and take the US Coast Guard tour to the Arizona, amuch better tour than the tour boats. GO!
Old August 27th, 2000, 08:49 PM
sea lady

I am going on the Infinity in Feb... got some information from ask me.com about car rentals in Hawaii...Avis has a program where you can get a weekly rate and pick up cars on different islands..... it just seems like the best thing to do...have a great cruise
Old August 28th, 2000, 01:00 AM
BEAV

Had a fairly rough Pacific "crossing" from Honolulu to Vancouver in May, 1998 aboard the then NCL Dynasty. The ship was only 19,000 tons and the El Nino weather patterns were still evident. We made it just fine, but others not so well.

That experience certainly isn't keeping me from crossing the Pacific again! We're happily booked on Infinity for April 7, 2001 Ensenada to Honolulu..Can't wait!
Old August 28th, 2000, 03:56 PM
Passenger

I am also taking the Apr.7 Infinity cruise with my 2 boys, and my sis and her son. We expect we will also rent a car, especially on the days that we have 2 days in a port...just cheaper...and bound to keep the boys happier....
I just returned from the Millinieum....enjoyed it greatly and am looking forward to the April sailing!!!!
Old August 28th, 2000, 08:54 PM
sea lady

don't know about the Pacific seas but the Dynasty has a very shallow draft... would hesitate to sail any major body of water on her...
Old August 29th, 2000, 11:25 AM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via AIM to James Send a message via Yahoo to James

I think that i will rent a car for at least Maui, I used to live there years ago and know that getting around takes a car due to the islands large size, I wonder if we can pick up our car close by to were the ship docks?I cant wait for april the seventh, I think that it is 240 something days from now, not that i am counting...
Old August 29th, 2000, 03:58 PM
Cruise Maniac

Picking up a car in Maui depends on the port. Two years ago we tendered in at
Lahaina and had to call for transportation to the Kannapoli Beach Hotel to pick up
a car. The situation may be different at Wailuku, but the airport is not too far
from the pier. This is the "only" way to see Maui--Maui no kay oi.