Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Celebrity
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old September 20th, 2001, 04:38 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Toddlers/Babies on cruise

what is the general feeling for taking babies and todlers on a cruise...good? bad?
thanks
Sponsored Links
Old September 20th, 2001, 05:09 PM
Passenger

Default Re: Toddlers/Babies on cruise

If you can find reliable, loving care for your kids at home, I would say leave them there. They are probably too young to enjoy the cruise experience and you could use some quality alone time with your husband. IMHO.
Old September 21st, 2001, 12:25 PM
Passenger

No problems,
Our daughter had her first cruise 5 months before she was born!
We have taken our 2 year old on 2 cruises and her third in a few weeks - this will make a total of 4!

We have had no problems, food, service everything has been fine and the cruisers have always enjoyed seeing babies - makes them pine for their grandchildren and makes them remember when their kids were young.

We have never had a problem with anyone being rude or resenting the baby being there.

If you have a reliable family babysitter and you want a break then make the most of the opportunity.
We are in the fortunate position of being able to cruise with opr without baby but we have never even considered leaving her behind.

Just use common sense on your selection of shore excursions and remember that the on-shore facilities are often not at the same level or convenience as on the ship.

So my advice is - don't worry - enjoy!!

We have had a wonderful time, and I know that our daughter has brought hapiness into other peoples vacation.

Regards
Alan
Old September 21st, 2001, 02:12 PM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via AIM to James Send a message via Yahoo to James

you say......We have had a wonderful time, and I know that our daughter has brought hapiness into other peoples vacation.........lol are you serious? lol
Old September 22nd, 2001, 02:46 PM
Passenger

Actually Yes, because they said so.
Should not be such a difficult concept to grasp.
Regards
Alan
Old September 22nd, 2001, 09:24 PM
GP

Allen.......people are polite. I love children, had some of my own, but when toddlers come to my dinner table, I request a new table for the rest of the cruise.
Old September 22nd, 2001, 10:17 PM
Robin G

We took my son to Bermuda when he was not quite 3 and would do it all over again. When we were snorkeling at Tobacco Bay, he was right behind us holding on to our feet. I would never consider not taking him. However, it you do select this option remember that you may need to give some things up. For example, we never even saw the dining room opting instead to eat at the buffets and if later in the evening, in our room. Our cabin attendant by the second night knew to bring us a menu of the day. He also needed his nap everyday so my husband and I switched off on this duty. We also never saw a show. If your child is 3, you can take advantage of the on-ship kid's activities. Insurance constraints don't allow you to leave a child under the age of three alone in the kid's activity room. However, we took Tyler and supervised him while he played.
Old September 22nd, 2001, 11:50 PM
Marvelous Mary

On our last cruise (11 nights), we saw several couples with babies/toddlers. Fellow passengers would smile at them and say the obligatory things, but frankly I saw most people trying to avoid them like the plague, especially at mealtimes. We are grandparents who TRULY LOVE our grandchild, but cruising is such a special, romantic vacation that I would not consider taking him with us. We save way too long for our cruises to be seated next to a whiny child, or even a well-behaved one who has nothing in common with us. We are there to meet and share with other adults. Yes, ships have fun centers for children, but consider taking them somewhere where THEY will have a lot more fun. The parents of these children looked pretty harried at times also.
Old September 23rd, 2001, 12:51 PM
Mike C

Considering the other posts to this question you might want to consider a different cruise line like Carnival or Disney which are more kid friendly.
Old September 23rd, 2001, 02:02 PM
SuzieQ

Deb,

I've seen this topic many times. The debate sometimes gets heated and parents sometimes get offended. If I were you, I'd post a more specific topic like "tips on cruising with my toddler". You're more likely to get useful info on ideas like babysitters on the ship, dinnertime distractions, what to pack, availability of highchairs or cribs, etc.

Opinions on this topic is like a game of tic-tac-toe...most of the time it ends up a draw.

Decide for yourself and have fun planning your cruise!