Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Celebrity
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old December 30th, 2001, 09:50 PM
Jack O'Diamonds

Default Getting a Cabin Upgrade?

Do you guys have any tips on getting a cabin upgrade? I am traveling on Millennium, and have a room with a guarantee of a certain level. My agent said there is an opportunity for an upgrade. Should I ask the guest services desk, should I try to slip some cash to some one. I have a high level cabin with a balcony, but I want to try and get a suite. What should I do?
Sponsored Links
Old December 30th, 2001, 10:32 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Getting a Cabin Upgrade?

The only "sure" way to get an upgrade is to pay for the cabin category you want to start with. Otherwise, it is a gamble, pure and simple. Of course, with a guarantee, you and your t/a lose any control of what cabin category and location you are ultimately assigned... although you won't get less than you paid for.

It is not a bad bet on a new vessel like the Millennium... where there really isn't a bad cabin. Also, she tends, like most ships at the top levels of the Premium Brands, to sell from the top down and then from the bottom up. It is the middle that tends to go last. If you really want a suite, you ought to think about paying to upgrade to one. Otherwise, just hope. You have virtually no chance of such an upgrade once you are on board. There is a "statistical chance", as there is of winning the lottery, but it is not likely. If a suite is available at check in on the pier... they will offer it to you, if you ask, for a price.

Ernie
Old December 30th, 2001, 11:59 PM
Admiral

Regularily here, posters brag on getting super upgrades (inside to Balcony for example) free <G> I have my doubts when I read those posts. I am sure free upgrades are given from time to time , but believe that thats the exception..not the rule. We book what we will be happy with.....regardless of upgrades. From talking to Customer service and reading cruise line policy on upgrades.....when a free upgrade is given its inside to inside...oceanview to oceanview...etc. I would'nt put to much faith in a TA telling me there is an opportunity for an upgrade because they want your business so they may something like that......That statement is very misleading........there is also an opportunity that you may win a fortune on the lottery........but look at the odds. But as the MCC says and always says <G>.....you can pay for it .Good luck
Rick
Old December 31st, 2001, 10:25 AM
Propro

We cruised on Infinity Dec 1 in a cat 1B. We chose a room and did not have a guarantee. We were offered a $600 per person upgrade to a Royal suite while checking in at the pier in San Juan. That would have been a great deal, but we chose not to take it. If you're in a 1B, 1C or below, I'd think twice before accepting an upgrade to a 1A. There's a large overhang from deck 10 that guarantees shade in the 1A balconies on deck 9. If you're offered a Celebrity suite, remember that while you'll have a large room with all the amenities, you will not have a balcony! Enjoy your trip...
Old December 31st, 2001, 10:39 AM
Solsurfer

Upgrades , upgrades, upgrades. Don't have a sure fire answer for you. Some get them, some don't. I have received one in all my cruises, from the lowest level 12 inside to a level 7 outside.Don't know why or how just did. We do let our TA know we would like one if available. If not that's OK. Paying for one, not for us. The extra money is better spent on other things, the Bar, exploring the islands, etc. How much time do you spend in your cabin anyway. I would much rather spend time on the ship on the sundeck enjoying the wonderful warm weather and the beautiful sea. have a great trip!!
Old December 31st, 2001, 01:27 PM
Carole Dunham

I'n over 40 years of cruising, I've received just two upgrades. The first was on Princess back before they had verandah cabins. It was from a standard to a deluxe outside. The other time was my first Carnival cruise when they upgraded me from an outside to a verandah cabin. I am always happy for the upgrade, but it really doesn't matter. I book the lowest category I will be comfortable in. In many, many cruises I've been quite pleased with my cabin assignments. Don't let the lack of an upgrade enter into the enjoyment of your cruise. Sounds like you already have a great cabin.

Carole
Old December 31st, 2001, 03:11 PM
Admiral

Carole.....you are so right! We don't have anywhere near your cruise experience but agree totally. We book what we will be comfortable in and totally enjoy it. I think all this desire for an upgrade is strictly a status thing or so some think. Its so nice to say I got an upgrade.......when in fact it was probably just moving up 1 deck into the same cabin set up I always have my doubts when someone says they upgraded from an inside to a Royal Suite <G>......perceived status. If one is going to pay the price of a cruise....book what you will be comfortable with that meets your needs..money wise and comfort wise. AND if anyone ever deserved an upgrade to a Royal Suite, its Carole after 40 years of cruising....wow 40 years!!!
Semper Fi
Rick and Deb
Old December 31st, 2001, 03:30 PM
Frank_rim

In our 18 cruises we have had 4 upgrades. Two w/Princess, one w/RCCI and one w/Celebrity. The best on was on Crown Princess. The ship was overbooked and Princess sweetened the deal moving us to a mini-suite w/balcony and $200 spending money if we would leave 6 weeks later. Two years ago on the Regal Princess was moved from lowest inside to an outside cabin.

On the Ledgend of the Seas moved from lowest inside to best inside. Last year on the Zenith went from lowest inside to an outside cabin with partial obstructed view. In all cases, booked lowest inside guarantee originally.

Usually book lower price accomodations and REAL HAPPY when upgrades are assigned.

Have a great cruise.

Frank
Old December 31st, 2001, 03:33 PM
susancruzs

I totally agree that you should just make sure the category you choose is one you can live with, especially if you are on a longer cruise. I've only been on 13 cruises and I've never had an upgrade and that really doesn't bother me. I just figure the upgrade fairy passes me by and smiles down on someone else! Susan will be cruisin'
Old December 31st, 2001, 04:34 PM
jcpc

I agree with Carole. While I don't have 40 years of cruising under my belt I do have 30 years. I consider myself very fortunate and a "veteran". I, too have only been upgraded a handful of times...and usually only one category (i.e., paid for a cat. 6 guarantee, got assigned a cat. 5 - virtually the same cabin). I've sailed Celebrity 35 times and only once did I get upgraded to a Sky Suite (and I paid for it...granted it was a 'bargain' considering what the Sky Suite was selling for on that sailing, but I paid nonetheless. And it satisfied my curiosity about sailing in a suite). I, too, am amazed when I read on these and other boards how people get upgraded all the time. When I book a cruise, I'm not automatically looking for a upgrade....I'm just happy to be going on a cruise. Maybe it's true what they say about the "squeaky wheel".
Old December 31st, 2001, 10:48 PM
Suzan

We unbelievable got a cabin upgrade on our 1st cruise,,I think it was just a teaser,, we had a Cat 7,,upgrade was a 2B...and now we see what all the chat is about balcony's,,,they are fantastic,,especially on the Caribbean routes,,with such PERFECT weather..Ready to book #2,,and will pay the price for the balcony,,because I feel the chances of another upgrade,,are very small...
Old January 1st, 2002, 11:15 AM
AR

Suzan--

Your point is an important one, because while I agree very much with the consensus in this string, I've never really agreed with the "What's the difference, you don't spend that much time in the room" argument.

It's a self-fulfilling prophecy. Darn right you don't spend much time there if you're in a small inside cabin (but you can still have a great cruise!)

But many of us who have sampled--then become addicted to--balconies realize that once you have one you DO spend a lot more time in the room, and that your balcony is one of the most congenial and special parts of the ship. For example, most of the time I'd much prefer to do my reading on the balcony than up on deck. Balconies also make it practical to use your room for entertaining, even if you don't have a suite.

I think most people who say you don't spend much time in the room are generally those who don't book balconies. So, a word to the wise: balconies are like drugs. Don't try them unless you're prepared to become addicted.

AR
Old January 1st, 2002, 11:47 AM
Admiral

I've only ever had one upgrade and it was a fabulous one. I credit it to a hard-working TA who was camped out on the bookings and pounced.

Because the ship was Horizon (no balconies) we booked the lowest outside, run of ship.

According to said hard-working TA, run of ship is the most likely to get upgraded, but no guarantees. It wouldn't have made any difference to us, but it sure was fun.

Another time, we were mis-assigned a cabin (still not sure how that happened) and the cat we were supposed to be in was full so we were moved up. I don't call that an upgrade. We picked up our docs at the pier, so had no chance to look and see what we had.

I agree with the Ernie mantra ... book what is comfortable for you and if the Upgrade Fairy happens to visit, count yourself fortunate.

pamda -- CM First-Time Cruisers Editor
Old January 2nd, 2002, 09:20 AM
david d

How do you even get an upgrade? We just booked Infinity outside cabin without a veranda. Category 6. The veranda was 350 more per person. We felt that was a bit too much but would do it for 200 or so. How can I make that happen?