Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Celebrity
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 21st, 2002, 07:15 PM
Admiral

Default Did I miss something?

Did the Andrew on the Summit thing ever get resolved? I'm still trying to figure out how this guy and 150 other people got bumped from their tables on formal night and were forced to sit at alternate dining. I feel like I missed the last episode of a mini series.
Sponsored Links
Old January 21st, 2002, 07:52 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Did I miss something?

inquiring minds want to know...
Old January 21st, 2002, 08:19 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

Hi Bill,
Nope, we haven't heard the details, I think we are all waiting to hear?? Will we ever?

Donna
Tuesday Chat Host
Old January 21st, 2002, 09:08 PM
jcpc

I was wondering myself. I thought I missed something while I was away. We'll probably never know!
Old January 21st, 2002, 10:34 PM
sailinglisa

I don't think we'll ever hear from Andrew again. I know that cruise was fully booked and there were rude passengers who were causing problems, but I don't think we will ever hear the truth from Andrew. jmho
Old January 26th, 2002, 10:21 PM
alice

My husband and I just got off the Summit. The maitre d' in the Andrew story talked to us for a very long time. He is such a gentleman and he said the staff took the blame for what happened and they did the best they could in such a situation.
A very large group from Europe ( I won't say which country) was promised one seating, but it was not available when they arrived on ship. They caused a great deal of trouble including tearing table clothes off tables and breaking dishes for which they were charged. Also, there were many youngsters involved. The captain was going to put "trouble makers" off at the next port, but somehow things were settled (who knows how) and the maitre d' said the rest of the cruise was fairly calm. He said you can wait list some people and try to work out giving everyone the time they want but, you can't wait least several hundred people.
Most of what Andrew reported was the same story the maitre d' told us, so I won't repeat all of that.

P. S. Our cruise was rather lacking in incidents except for the scalding hot coffee accidently spilled down a man's back. When we shared breakfast with him several days later, his blisters had broken and he felt better.
Old January 27th, 2002, 04:21 AM
Admiral

Hi, Alice ...

Interesting insight from the maitre d'. Obviously, nobody can re-seat a group that large. Perhaps the people should go back to that un-named country and perform mayhem on the travel agent ??? They seemed to do a pretty good job on the ship.

I can't blame the people for being disappointed about not having their selected seating, but the behavior you describe is inexcusable. If I'd been the Captain, they would have been tossed off the ship, not put off at the next port. Ah, but the manpower it would take to throw them all overboard

But it still doesn't explain why people were shunted to the alternative restaurant on formal night. Any clues on that? Maybe for the safety of other passengers in case of flying china ???

Ouch on the Coffee Man. We once cruised with a lady who got a pot of hot coffee in her lap on the airplane on the way to the departure port. She was travelling solo so I went with her each day to the ship's doc. It was NOT a pretty sight. She did receive, I learned later, quite a handsome recompense from the airline.

Thanks very much for your well-balanced and well-written report.

pamda -- CM First Time Cruisers Editor
Old January 27th, 2002, 09:27 PM
alice

Thanks, pamda...the one thing I forgot to tell earlier...people who were not able to get into dining room were standing by elevators, etc. and when they saw waiters with trays of food, the maitre d' said they would just take it off the trays. I told him how sorry I was to hear his Christmas had been so ruined...it must have been really bad...the ship being so over crowded to begin with and, then that.
After going into the ports we did...if I were Captain I would have put them off in Cartegena.
Old January 28th, 2002, 09:43 AM
Admiral

If I were the captain I would have put them off AT SEA.
Let's now speculate about how Andrew and his friends ended up in the alternate restaurant on formal night. After their TA failed to link their reservations for dining, the ship tried to accomadate the group by seating them together in the alternate dining room. This not being a place used to handing a large crowd like this the service was probably a bit spotty. Andrew and his group responded by getting near violent at times in the dining room.
That's my speculation on why Andrew has dipped beneath the radar screen. I could be wrong ,and would like to be because I would not like to think of fellow cruisers misbehaving in such a way, but, it does explain the circumstances that Andrew was unwilling to expand on.