Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Celebrity
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old February 16th, 2002, 09:35 AM
Admiral

Default dining main vrs late

Does category affect dining table location i.e. proximity to captains table? Is it easy to change from early to late seating after booking?
Sponsored Links
Old February 16th, 2002, 10:10 AM
Admiral

Default Re: dining main vrs late

Hi, Ron ...

I've never heard that cat effects dining location. Unless the ship is full to the gunwales, you can usually change after you board.

pamda -- CM First-Cruisers Editor
Old February 16th, 2002, 11:01 PM
Admiral

Also, I would hardly think "proximity to the Captain's Table" implies a better location in the dining room.
Old February 17th, 2002, 12:18 AM
Carole Dunham

Actually Ernie, it does mean a better location. My grandson works for RCI and several years ago we took an Alaska cruise on Galaxy. His mom, who also worked for the line at the time, arranged everything for us. She told us we had the same waiters the Captain got and that they were considered the best onboard. You couldn't have proved it by me however. Our poor waiter was so overworked that he was practically asleep on his feet most of the time and would do things like bring the melted butter for the lobster tails 10 minutes after he brought the lobster tails. Since my family came from New England I would never eat a lobster tail, prefer the entire animal cooked by me, but others at our table had that problem. Personally, I prefer sitting by a window.

Carole
Old February 17th, 2002, 01:14 AM
Babette

Ron:

In the case of Celebrity... and especially Zenith.... no it does not.
First of all, the more experienced waiters are in the "wing" sections of the dining room. The area around the Captain's Table is a bit snug, but it enables the Restaurant Mgr... to keep an eye on things.

I sat at the Captain's table.... we were served by the Restaurant Manager, asst md for the section and one waiter who had one other table - I think it was a 6-top.

The majority of the deuces (actually 4-tops) are located in the wings. The chances of changing seatings if one is sold out would be greatly improved if you request to be seated at a large table.
Old February 17th, 2002, 07:27 PM
sealady

The captain's table is usually in the center of the dining room. If you are dining with him, I'm sure that everything will be wonderful. Dining near the captain's table probably wouldn't be ideal since the focus would be on his table. If you what to switch seating, you can do it before hand by contacting your TA or visiting the maitre'd on board.
Old February 18th, 2002, 08:48 AM
Admiral

Well, many of us in the Industry have a totally different idea as to what is a "good" table location. While it surely varies from ship to ship, as a general rule we like to sit near the kitchen entrance/exit... the food is hottest and the service better. The most senior waiters tend to be there... less strenuous... and the md's put the least experienced waiters out in the middle where they can keep an eye on them.

As for windows... well... we usually take late seating (for a bunch of reasons), so being near a window is pointless as we are rarely in the dining room during the day... and, those window tables tend to be like ovens during the day, with the sun blazing in.
Old February 18th, 2002, 11:09 AM
Admiral

Ernie nailed it again.

The really good waiters are sort of "on their own" with the dogs under the sharp eye of the Maitre d' or room captain.

I can't see that proximity to the Captain's table adds anything. During Captain's dinners, the waitstaff assigned to that table do nothing but work that single table. At least in my experience.

The absolute best table we ever had was on Millie last year, close to the kitchen.

I am famous for not caring about shipboard veal, but I am a slow learner and keep ordering it. Last year, I sent the veal back AGAIN (It could have been the same veal I sent back in 1991) with a comment about how it could be used to make sandals for the next trip ashore. Next night, one of the chefs came out of the kitchen to inquire DIRECTLY just HOW I wanted my filet mignon cooked. I instructed him. Chef then came out carrying, personally, my steak and stood there while I checked it out and pronounced it fine.

There are definite benefits to being close to the kitchen.

pamda -- CM First-Time Cruisers Editor
Old February 18th, 2002, 08:14 PM
jortwein

Just got off the Summit on Friday, the Captains table was in the very back of the ship on the first floor of the dining room. He was only present at three dinners (formal nights). We sat with the Captain once on the Sovereign of the Seas and the waiter only waited on his table.
Old February 20th, 2002, 08:41 AM
Admiral

Thanks, Pamda!

I agree... veal is one of those meats that for some reason or other doesn't lend itself to the banquet type preparation we encounter on board a ship. I never order it either if I can avoid it. One exception I've experienced... the alternative dining venues on the CostaVictoria and CostaAtlantica, with their separate provisioning and small kitchens do put out a mean Veal Chop when it is on the menu!