Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Celebrity
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old June 4th, 2002, 10:58 PM
mike c

Default Cruise Insurance? Can I purchase it a week before I sail?

Is there a limit on when I can purchase? Also, what is the best company?
Sponsored Links
Old June 5th, 2002, 12:59 AM
Ray Dooley

Default Re: Cruise Insurance? Can I purchase it a week before I sail

From what I know, the option of buying cruise insurance at least through Celebrity ends with the date the final payment on a cruise is expected, 60 days before sailing. I doubt you can but at much later if at all anywhere else either. If they sold it a week before then somebody who got injured or whatever up to a week before could but it and that would result in many people not buting it unless sometimes happened just before the trip.
Old June 5th, 2002, 06:45 AM
Passenger

Default Re: Cruise Insurance? Can I purchase it a week before I sail

If in deed you are going to purchase travel insurance, you will need to do so before you make your final payment. After that, your out of luck.
In my opinion, it is well worth the money. Just think. If your bags get lost while they are out of your hands.The insurance will cover a percentage of what was lost. I was also had reservations when we went on a cruise of purchasing the travel insurance, but I went ahead and purchased it while I was making my final payment. We BOTH got sea sick on the ship, and nothing worked exept going to the ships hospital and getting shots in our behinds. The total cost for the shots for both of us was something like $250.00, because we went to the hospital during non business hours. When we got home, I submitted the receipts to the travel insurance company, and with in 2 weeks, I had a check in my hands. I think its well worth it, and I will never doubt it again.
As far as company's go? I would just get it through your travel agent. You will probably get the best deal through them. I beleive it goes by how much you spent on your total vacation. Example....our cruise cost $599.00. I think we paid $75.00 for the insurance. wasnt bad. Please, let us know how you make out.
Keith
Old June 5th, 2002, 08:07 AM
Admiral

Default Re: Re: Cruise Insurance? Can I purchase it a week before I

You can still purchase cruise insurance and it is a good idea to have it. You should always purchase 3rd party insurance (not from the cruise line) as it covers you if the cruise line or other vendor should go under. The CL's policies do not carry this coverage. You wil lose any waiver of pre-existing conditions limitations, but this shouldn't deter you.

The BIG money exposure you have is not cancellation... it is emergency evacuation, should you have an accident or become ill on, for example, a Caribbean Island. We recently brought a woman back from San Juan to Miami... the transportation cost was in excess of $12,000. Not medical... just transportation.

Your t/a can certainly recommend a good insurance program.
Old June 5th, 2002, 08:54 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

Hi Mike,
Here are a few you can check into, its always a good idea to get the insureance:

http://www.csatravelprotection.com/insure/default.ssc
http://www.travelguard.com/

Message Boards Moderator
Old June 6th, 2002, 01:58 PM
Cruise Maniac

I use Travel Guard and they allow you to purchase coverage up to 24 hour before departure. However, pre-existing condions would not be covered.
Old June 9th, 2002, 10:03 AM
First Mate

Default Re: Re: Re: Cruise Insurance? Can I purchase it a week befor

We've used AccessAmerica (www.accessamerica.com) for our 3 previous (and one upcoming) cruises. We've never had to use any of the benefits, but the price is quite reasonable. Another company to compare...