Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Celebrity
Register Forgot Password?

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old September 15th, 2002, 05:55 PM
Frank
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Who gets the tips?

I just found out that on the Princess line, the people one tips can not keep the money but has to turn it in and that all the gratuities are shared somehow with the entire crew. Princess bills each person in a cabin $10/day/pp for these gratuities and if one wants to give over and above that amount, the person tipped extra doesn't get it. That peeves me since I want the tip to go to the person that earned it and not to some Bozo that might have been a lousy waiter to another table. If Princess is going to do that, they should just add that amount to the price of the cruise and say tipping is included as they do on Radisson. But not like HAL that says obnoxiously that tipping is not required which ends up having their people stiffed by some unintentionally.

After that setup, does anyone know how the tipping works on Celebrity? Do they get to keep their tips or do they have to share them? If they have to share them, I may start doing what some Princess travelers are doing, buy phone cards and give them away since they only have to turn in the monetary amounts. But that won't be as good if the crew has access to email and no longer phone home. Anyone know about this?
Frank-in-CA
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
  #2 (permalink)  
Old September 15th, 2002, 06:59 PM
Kuki's Avatar
Moderator
Admiral
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Right here :)
Posts: 22,384
Send a message via AIM to Kuki
Default Re: Who gets the tips?

On Princess tips are pooled, but not amongst the entire crew. The dining room staff split their portion, cabin stewards theirs etc.
However, if you tip a server extra, over and above, in cash for great service, they are not required to pool that money.

Celebrity doesn't YET have automatic tipping, so tips are not pooled. Whoever you tip keeps the gratuity.

However, I think soon we'll likely see autotipping added to RCI and Celebrity.

__________________
C U @ C,
Kuki
CruiseMates' Staff Writer
- The Kuki Side of Cruising-
A new Blog post every Wednesday
http://www.cruisemates.com/blog/author/kuki/
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old September 16th, 2002, 02:44 PM
Frank
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Re: Who gets the tips?

Kuki wrote:

> However, if you tip a server extra, over and above, in cash
> for great service, they are not required to pool that money.

Kuki:
That is not what the service people have told cruisers on Princess. They said that they are not allowed to accept anything of monetary value. They have to turn it in and could be fired if they did not. Check out the correspondence in the Princess section. That's what triggered my question here.
>
> Celebrity doesn't YET have automatic tipping, so tips are not
> pooled. Whoever you tip keeps the gratuity.

I prefer it that way. However, I'd like to be able to charge the tips to my cabin account so I can take less cash with me. I understand I can get cash without a fee in the casino but I wonder how long that will last. Princess started out that way and then changed it to a 3% fee when everyone started using it as an ATM. Another reason I like to charge it to my cabin account is that I get FF miles on my MasterCard. (G)
>
> However, I think soon we'll likely see autotipping added to
> RCI and Celebrity.
>
I don't like the autotipping, just the ability to charge the amount I determine that is earned. I also don't like the pooling of tips. I like to reward good service and, to me, pooling rewards bad service and punishes good service.
Frank-in-CA
Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old September 16th, 2002, 05:03 PM
Kuki's Avatar
Moderator
Admiral
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Right here :)
Posts: 22,384
Send a message via AIM to Kuki
Default Re: Re: Re: Who gets the tips?

Frank.. I actually checked this on Princess, when we were on the Golden Princess last New Years. I wanted to tip our waiteress over that auto tipping amount, so I checked if she would would get to keep it, or if it would have to be pooled. I was assured it would be hers to keep.
If I had removed the tips from my account, and then tipped her directly, she would have been expected to pool the tip.

On Celebrity you can get cash advances at the casino, at NO charge, and they have no intention of changing this any time soon. As a matter of fact, on our recent Constellation cruise they were promoting it in big bold lettering in the daily newsletter. And I asked the Celeb execs cruising with us about it. They confirmed there is no intention to charge a fee.

I actually believe the staff do prefer auto tipping, and I believe it's a bit of a misconception that because of it there is no incentive to provide good service. When tips are pooled there is still a formula used to distribute the $. The servers with larger sections will get a larger share.
Almost as important to the servers as the tips are the ratings on the Customer Comment Cards. If a server is doing a lousy job, they won't last long, if passengers give them low ratings on their comment cards.
First step might be reducing the size of their sections. The next step would be dismissal. The cruise lines have no interest in keeping staff who don't meet their guests expectations.

I discussed this issue with a number of service staff on the Constellation. They all said they would prefer auto-tipping. One waiter (who was excellent at his job) told the story about having two tables on the previous sailing who stiffed him completely.
He did say that at least they gave him the excellent ratings, so that would help him keep a good section, as well as a good sized section, which in the long run would help keep his earnings up.

About my only objection to automatic tipping if Celebrity adopted it is Celebrity does have that "head housekeeper" on their suggested tipping list.

__________________
C U @ C,
Kuki
CruiseMates' Staff Writer
- The Kuki Side of Cruising-
A new Blog post every Wednesday
http://www.cruisemates.com/blog/author/kuki/
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old September 16th, 2002, 06:21 PM
quetico
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Who gets the tips?

And speaking of tips, I've always wondered what the correct protocol was for room service.... do they get tipped per call. or from the larger pool? If per call, what is normal?
Q
Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old September 17th, 2002, 03:57 PM
PBP
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Who gets the tips?

For cabin service, I tip $1.00 per person for however many people the service is for........... $1.00 for one person, $2.00 for two people, etc., regardless whether it is only a pot of coffee or a full meal. Just keeps it simple for me, and it's well worth the $1.00 to have someone bring me something to drink or a snack. I'll be interested to see how others do it.
PBP
Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old September 17th, 2002, 04:03 PM
Frank
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Who gets the tips?

Kuki wrote:

> Frank.. I actually checked this on Princess, when we were on
> the Golden Princess last New Years. I wanted to tip our
> waiteress over that auto tipping amount, so I checked if she
> would would get to keep it, or if it would have to be pooled. I
> was assured it would be hers to keep.
> If I had removed the tips from my account, and then tipped
> her directly, she would have been expected to pool the tip.

That's great to know as that is what I had been doing.
>
> On Celebrity you can get cash advances at the casino, at NO
> charge, and they have no intention of changing this any time
> soon. As a matter of fact, on our recent Constellation cruise
> they were promoting it in big bold lettering in the daily
> newsletter. And I asked the Celeb execs cruising with us about
> it. They confirmed there is no intention to charge a fee.

That is great to know. Helps my planning. I can get my tip money there. (G)
>
> I actually believe the staff do prefer auto tipping, and I
> believe it's a bit of a misconception that because of it there
> is no incentive to provide good service. When tips are pooled
> there is still a formula used to distribute the $. The servers
> with larger sections will get a larger share.
> Almost as important to the servers as the tips are the
> ratings on the Customer Comment Cards. If a server is doing a
> lousy job, they won't last long, if passengers give them low
> ratings on their comment cards.
> First step might be reducing the size of their sections. The
> next step would be dismissal. The cruise lines have no interest
> in keeping staff who don't meet their guests expectations.

That makes sense and seem appropriate.
>
> I discussed this issue with a number of service staff on the
> Constellation. They all said they would prefer auto-tipping.
> One waiter (who was excellent at his job) told the story about
> having two tables on the previous sailing who stiffed him
> completely.

How would auto tipping help if these people also it removed from their cabin bill?

> He did say that at least they gave him the excellent ratings,
> so that would help him keep a good section, as well as a good
> sized section, which in the long run would help keep his
> earnings up.
>
> About my only objection to automatic tipping if Celebrity
> adopted it is Celebrity does have that "head housekeeper" on
> their suggested tipping list.
>
I really believe that if they are going to go to automatic tipping that it should be included in the price of the cruise and stated that tips are included. To automatically add a charge later to make the cruise price look lower is not the way to go. One could still give a few $ more to those who provide better than expected service.
Frank
Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old September 17th, 2002, 04:05 PM
Frank
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Who gets the tips?

PBP wrote:

> For cabin service, I tip $1.00 per person for however many
> people the service is for........... $1.00 for one person,
> $2.00 for two people, etc., regardless whether it is only a pot
> of coffee or a full meal. Just keeps it simple for me, and
> it's well worth the $1.00 to have someone bring me something to
> drink or a snack. I'll be interested to see how others do it.

I guess it would depend on how much one really used them and if it was the cabin steward that performed these duties. If it was the steward, I'd be inclined to include that in their overall tips at the end of the cruise.
Frank
Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old September 17th, 2002, 06:20 PM
Kuki's Avatar
Moderator
Admiral
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Right here :)
Posts: 22,384
Send a message via AIM to Kuki
Default Re: Who gets the tips?

<<<<I really believe that if they are going to go to automatic tipping that it should be included in the price of the cruise and stated that tips are included. To automatically add a charge later to make the cruise price look lower is not the way to go. One could still give a few $ more to those who provide better than expected service.
Frank<<<<

Frank,
I would agree. Probably a good idea to include it. I guess the difference is at this point you still do have the option to remove the tips.

__________________
C U @ C,
Kuki
CruiseMates' Staff Writer
- The Kuki Side of Cruising-
A new Blog post every Wednesday
http://www.cruisemates.com/blog/author/kuki/
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
cruise, tips

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Help with Tips tcoach Ask CruiseMates Staff 6 September 25th, 2007 03:37 PM
Gratuities, 15%, Tips, Tips?? CherieB Tipping 9 March 12th, 2005 08:35 AM
tips Sharon66 Princess Cruise Lines 7 September 15th, 2002 05:22 PM
tips michelle Carnival Cruise Lines 2 December 6th, 2001 02:05 PM
Tips, Tips, .... and More Tips Gary First-Time Cruisers 2 September 22nd, 2001 11:36 AM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


 

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:20 PM.
design by: Themes by Design

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1