Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Celebrity
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old November 22nd, 2002, 03:31 PM
First Mate

Default Do Celebrity ships have irons in the rooms?

Do Celebrity ships have irons in the rooms? And ironing boards also?
Sponsored Links
Old November 22nd, 2002, 03:35 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Do Celebrity ships have irons in the rooms?

You might be able to get your Steward to lend you an iron, but there are no irons or ironing boards (nor are there laundrry facilities as on Princess or Carnival). You can send stuff out to be laundered , cleaned or pressed.
Old November 22nd, 2002, 03:54 PM
Frank

Default Re: Re: Do Celebrity ships have irons in the rooms?

PapaBill wrote:

> You might be able to get your Steward to lend you an iron,
> but there are no irons or ironing boards (nor are there
> laundrry facilities as on Princess or Carnival). You can send
> stuff out to be laundered , cleaned or pressed.

We were unsuccessful in getting our room steward to find an iron. It seems like they want to encourage the use of their laundry and dry cleaning facilities on board. Some people feel that since they are on a vacation, they shouldn't do laundry anyway but we like to take long cruises and that bill could add up faster than our bar bill if we sent it all out.
Frank-in-CA
Old November 22nd, 2002, 05:30 PM
AR

Fuggedibowdit!

Irons are a safety hazard at sea. They do not belong in staterooms under any circumstances. The biggest danger at sea is fire, and if passengers have irons, some will inevitably leave them plugged in.

Use the laundry bag and pay the nominal fee for laundry/dry cleaning. You'll enjoy the cruise a lot more and you'll be a lot safer.

AR
Old November 22nd, 2002, 10:13 PM
Admiral

Location: Wisconsin....about 100 miles south of the Frozen Tundra and 70 miles east of Camp Randall
Send a message via AIM to Lisa Send a message via Yahoo to Lisa

No way are there irons and ironing boards in rooms aboard ANY cruise ship!

First off, how about packing your clothes in drycleaning bags to prevent wrinkles. If, heaven forbid, something is wrinkled, how about trying hanging the clothes in the bathroom and letting the steam release the wrinkles. Or, better yet, try a product called Downy Wrinkle Release.....follow the directions on the product.

If all else fails, send the clothes out to be pressed - the fee is very nominal and those of us who are terrified of fire aboard a ship thank you!

Old November 23rd, 2002, 03:53 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

Hi Gary,
Just pack all your good clothing in plastic cleaner bags, should be wrinkle-free, works for me. Only other option is the laundry service that they offer, hopefully you will not need that.

Message Boards Moderator
Old November 23rd, 2002, 04:52 PM
Frank

Lisa wrote:

> No way are there irons and ironing boards in rooms aboard ANY
> cruise ship!

No but most other cruise lines provide self service laundry facilities with irons and ironing board available there. Or the room steward can bring them to you.

How many fires have been reported due to irons? Let's get serious. It is a deficiency that Celebrity has but not one that would keep me from sailing with them.
Frank-in-CA
Old November 23rd, 2002, 06:03 PM
First Mate

Default Re: Re: Re: Do Celebrity ships have irons in the rooms?

What cruise line lets cabin stewards bring irons to their passengers? I have never heard of this before!

Old November 23rd, 2002, 07:03 PM
AR

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Do Celebrity ships have irons in the rooms?

They don't allow them. Period. Perhaps a steward somewhere was just trying to let somebody down easily (say you'll try, then be "unable" to). Not a great idea, but it could happen. Best just to say that it's absolutely against the rules.

You can complain about a lack of self-service laundries all you want, but the last thing I want to do on a cruise--or any vacation--is go to the laundromat. Let's see, would I rather go up on deck, or do the wash? Would I rather have lunch, or do the wash? Would I rather read on the balcony, or do the wash? Would I rather go see this city, or do the wash? Hmmm. "Steward, here's the bag. Tomorrow will be fine. Thanks a lot."

As to the implication that "no irons" is a silly rule because "how many times has a fire been caused by an iron?" You know what? I don't care even a little bit about the statistics on this issue. All I have to do is look around me on any cruise at the people who. . .

* Can't work the elevators
* Can't find their rooms
* Can't figure out how to work the interactive TV
* Are late back to the bus at every stop on shore excursions
* Don't know the name of the next port
* Don't know the name of the last port
* Miss the last tender
* Discover on the last night that there are shows in the evening
* Intentionally and habitually jump from the promenade deck into the water and must be fished out by tenders (yes, I'm serious. Don't get me started)

When I consider all that and more, I'm absolutely not willing to roll the dice that my fellow passengers will practice "safe iron" in their cabins. Not for a minute. It's a good rule. It must remain in force without exception.

Complain all you want, but don't complain about rules that help keep us safe.

AR
Old November 23rd, 2002, 07:37 PM
Passenger

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Do Celebrity ships have irons in the roo

Downy Wrinkle Releaser was a lifesaver on our cruise. (Who wants to iron on a vaca anyway?) It worked so well we used it on just about everything (altho keeping special things in drycleaners' bags for the flight down kept things from needing anything more than just touchups). Our cabin usually smelled of Downy Wrinkle Releaser (which, luckily, isn't a bad smell) whenever we were getting dressed--and the funny thing is, now on the rare occasions my husband or I use it while at home (ironing still is better if it's convenient), the scent immediately evokes fond memories of our cruise.

I wouldn't travel anywhere again without it--it ended up being our smartest purchase for the trip. (And the three other couples we traveled with ended up borrowing it--good thing we brought two bottles in the event we'd share it!)
Old November 24th, 2002, 09:51 AM
First Mate

Default OK, enough already!!!

It was just a simple question and the simple answer would be no. I didn't want to start a diatribe about fires, doing your own laundry, etc. Thanks for your responses.
Old November 24th, 2002, 09:30 PM
marnie

Gary,
I dare you to post this question on Cruisecritic.com. You'll start a riot. If you get a chance, look at the Celebrity section of the cruisecritic.com message boards. It's worth it for sheer entertainment. And if you really want to have some fun, ask if shorts are allowed in the dining room for dinner.

For what it's worth, downy wrinkle releaser is the same as water in a convenient spray bottle. Ingredients are water, fragrance and fabric relaxer (make up ingredient). And it warns not to be used on dry clean only. I haven't used an iron in a year. Splash a little water on a wrinkle and smooth it out. There's lots of other tips like using the steam in the shower and how to pack to avoid wrinkles. Also on cruisecritic, people were discussing brand names for wrinkle free clothing. The lists goes on.
Old November 25th, 2002, 02:14 PM
Mikey Sr.

I'm bring an iron on my next cruise in January. I know how to use them thanks to my Mom. I hate waiting a whole day to get a shirt or suit back when I do it in less than 15 minutes. Many people do the say thing and I have yet to see any ship fires.
Old November 25th, 2002, 03:01 PM
Yeoman

For your safety as well as my own PLEASE leave your iron at home!!!
Old November 25th, 2002, 04:17 PM
Frank

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Do Celebrity ships have irons in the roo

AR wrote:

> You can complain about a lack of self-service laundries all
> you want, but the last thing I want to do on a cruise--or any
> vacation--is go to the laundromat.

To each his own. We prefer long cruises of 2 weeks or more, don't want to pack too much clothes and don't mind throwing a batch of items like underwear and socks in the laundry mid cruise. It sure doesn't take a whole lot of time.
>
> Complain all you want, but don't complain about rules that
> help keep us safe.
>
You have more to fear from people smoking in their rooms than you'll ever have from an iron.
Frank-in-CA
Old November 25th, 2002, 04:20 PM
Frank

Mikey Sr. wrote:

> I'm bring an iron on my next cruise in January. I know how
> to use them thanks to my Mom. I hate waiting a whole day to
> get a shirt or suit back when I do it in less than 15 minutes.
> Many people do the say thing and I have yet to see any ship
> fires.

I would not bring one since they add too much weight to the luggage. But, as I said in another note, the safety aspect is way overblown. If people really want to be safe on board they should ban all smoking down to the individual cabin. That is so much more of a safety hazard than an iron.
Frank-in-CA
Old November 25th, 2002, 05:10 PM
AR

Frank:

Why do I have the feeling that if they banned all smoking tomorrow (not a bad idea), you'd still want to bring your iron?

The direct fire issue aside, I wonder what would happen to the ship's power system if everybody started firing up irons along about 5:00 each evening? Them puppies pull a couple amps each I believe.

But then, everybody won't do that. Just those who insist on breaking rules they don't like.

AR
Old November 25th, 2002, 05:13 PM
AR

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Do Celebrity ships have irons in the rooms?

Sorry, I addressed the wrong person. It should have been to Mikey Sr. with a cc to Frank. Apologies.
Old November 25th, 2002, 10:28 PM
Mikey Sr.

I went to Celebrity's website and it said zero about not being able to bring an iron into the cabin. All it mentioned was that the line does not have a self service laundry. And it is true that the chances of starting a fire while smoking in your cabin is far greater. I rest my point. Who's rules are you all refering to?
Old November 27th, 2002, 01:20 PM
AR

Mikey:

From Celebrity's T's & C's:

"Celebrity reserves the right to refuse to permit any guest to take on board any items Celebrity deems inappropriate."

How about calling them and asking whether they consider irons appropriate or not, then reporting back to us.

AR
Old November 27th, 2002, 10:22 PM
Mikey Sr.

I'm sure they probably mean weapons of mass destruction, illegal drugs and so forth. If hotels have irons in their rooms, what is the difference then in using one in a cabin? Again people who make up their own rules. Maybe the cruise lines should start charging passenger insurance who choose to smoke in their cabins. They are a bigger threat than my good old Rowenta!
Old November 27th, 2002, 10:31 PM
Mikey Sr.

How many people are going to fall asleep with a drink and a hot iron in their hands as compared to some one who has had a few too many while holding a cigarette in their bed?