Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Celebrity
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old December 30th, 2002, 09:30 AM
Passenger

Default Millennium Ports

Four of us will be cruising in February. We will visit San Juan, Catalina Island, St. Thomas, and Nassau. We are thinking of taking a taxi instead of shore excursions. We would like to sightsee for about an hour and then shop. We plan to take a tour of the Atlantis Hotel. What is the best way to get there? Does Celebrity still refuse to cook meat rare or medium rare? Also, we have a 5:30 flight from Miami. Could anyone tell me what we can do for about 5 hours instead of waiting in the airport? I know these are alot of questions, but I do need some answers. Thank for any information you can give.
Sponsored Links
Old December 30th, 2002, 11:13 PM
Sandie

Default Re: Millennium Ports

We are sailing on Millie Feb. 23rd. When do you sail? Have just started looking into excursions, etc. I did hear that you can walk to the Atlantis Hotel - about 2 miles I think, and that there is a $25.00 charge for the Aquarium visit.
Sandie
Old December 31st, 2002, 06:51 AM
Ela

When we were in Nassau in May, we walked to Atlantis (at noon!) - but if you have younger children or someone with heart issues, I would not recommend it. We enjoyed the walk tremendously, got some nice shots off the bridge when crossing over, visitied a nice rum cake shop ran by an Englishman (they have great teas there!). We walked around Atlantis and while we were able to walk in the 'restricted' areas (just happened to walk by) and even ended up in the acquarium (completely by accident, we didn't even care to go there) - but were not impressed at all. We're going back to Nassau in Jan, and we won't be visiting Atlantis again - it was nice to see, yes, and we don't regret it but that's about it. We have a nice Acquarium back in Boston and I just don't know what the big deal is about the one in Nassau. We did a lot of walking in Nassau - around the town, saw the major sights. Loved it.
In St. Thomas we signed up for Godfrey's Tour. Everyone raves about him and we really want to see the island so we'll know what to do next time we go there.
I hope this helps!
Ela
Old December 31st, 2002, 06:53 AM
Passenger

Default Re: Re: Millennium Ports

We are going Feb. 9th. We are staying at the Marriott the night before. We prefer to take taxis for our tours. I hope someone will answer my questions. Have a wonderful trip.
Old December 31st, 2002, 06:56 AM
Passenger

Thanks Ela. We are from Boston also. We could not walk to the Atlantis. Do you have any numbers for tour companies? I hope we get out of Logan the day before. Thanks for the info.
Old December 31st, 2002, 07:48 AM
Admiral

Default Re: Re: Re: Millennium Ports

When your ship arrives in Nassau, there will be shared taxi's waiting at the foot of the gangplank to take you over to Paradise Island. It is just a few dollars per person and, depending on traffic, can take about 15 minutes of so. There are also water taxi's at the inland end of the pier. They will take you there too, but it is a bit of an uphill walk from where they leave you off, to Atlantis. It is a nice ride on the Water Taxi and I'd recommend doing it TO Atlantis and taking the taxi back. Unless, of course, you want to go into town when you go back, which is where the water taxi will drop you off. It is a VERY long walk from the piers to Paradise Island, including quite a climb over the bridge. I'd also not necessarily recommend such a walk outside of the normal tourist areas... it can be a bit rough around the edges.

Much of what I said above applies to St. Thomas as well. There are shared taxi's next to the ship waiting to take you into downtown Charlotte Amalie... with some of the best (if not the best) shopping in the Caribbean (extra customs allowances for items purchased in the USVI too). Again, it is a very few dollars to town, and the same back. Within walking distance of the ship (if you're docked at Havensport) is a cable car that takes you to the top of a mountain (forgot the name) with great views of the entire Port area and much of the Island. It is quite worth the trip.

Post Edited (12-31-02 07:52)
Old December 31st, 2002, 07:52 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

Hi Riba,
You can take a regular taxi or the water taxi over to Atlantis. We did a ship excursion with a haror tour and then to Atlantis. I really enjoyed seeing the property including the amazing aquarium, its huge. They also showed us a lot of what goes on in order to feed/care for all those fish, including a feeding while we were there, at least we thought it was well worth the $25 for the tour. After the guided tour you could walk around if you wanted and they gave you tickets for the water taxi back to the pier. You still had to walk to get the water taxi, but it was a short may-be 10 minute walk, not a big deal.

Last I heard on the meat issue is that, yes, you can get your steaks cooked Medium/rare if you wanted, hope thats the case.

Once you are on board, you can find out about post excursions in Miami, it sure beats waiting around the airport for hours, we did that once in San Juan and the tour ended at the airport, so hopefully there will be a few to choose from in Miami to kill some time, good luck and enjoy the cruise.

Message Boards Moderator
Old January 2nd, 2003, 02:16 PM
Alex Skabry

Default February 9th sailing

I'll be onboard on that cruise as well. In fact, we'll be staying overnight in port but a bit further out...at the Westin.

I'm starting to get crazy, waiting for the cruise!!
Old January 9th, 2003, 03:47 PM
Passenger

I am cruising with my Dad in March with the same itinerary.

What feed back did you get about places to visit whilst in port? Also what do you know about the stop on Catalina Island - is that Celebrity's own island?

Hope you have a wonderful time in February

Many thanks
Old January 9th, 2003, 04:34 PM
Admiral

Isla Catalina is Celebrity's private island off the Dominican Republic. It's basically just a beach day. They have a beach barbecue and live music for a few hours. There are a few pushy vendors selling the usual trinkets too. The only thing I didn't like is that you had to purchase beverages. I thought they should at least offer free water. We paid $8 for two Coronas.
The ship tenders you to and from the island. It's a small boat that runs continuously. No big deal.

Cheers,
Michelle B.

Old January 10th, 2003, 05:15 PM
Ela

My understanding is that starting with the 1/19 sailing Millie won't stop at Catellinaa Isl, but in LaRomana/CasaDeCampo instead. Please check your sailing schedules on Celebrity's website! Ours was not showing correctly on travelocity.com.

Happy sailing!!!

Ela

Millenium 1/19