Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Celebrity
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old September 20th, 2003, 07:55 PM
Beginner

Default Horizon

My husband and I booked the Horizon for the January 9,2004 sailing to the Western Carribean. This is our first cruise and we are looking forward to a relaxing and romantic vacation. Any suggestions, tips, advice greatly appreciated! This is our first vacation in 5 years and I want to make sure we are choosing right! Thanks!!
Sponsored Links
Old September 22nd, 2003, 07:21 AM
Passenger

Default Re: Horizon

We will be sailing on the Horizon for the first time next month, but we have cruised on Celebrity many times before. It is the best vacation out there. We love Celebrity for the service, food, ambiance, etc. I don't know if the Horizon is the right ship for you or not, depends on what you are looking for, your age, etc. It is not a new, mega ship, which I'm sure you know. Hope you have a great cruise, for my money you can't go wrong.
Old September 24th, 2003, 04:12 PM
Yeoman

I just sailed on the Horizon to Bermuda this past May. Personally, I didn't care for the ship. It's a much older ship and the decor was very bland, not much ambiance compare to the newer ships that are available.

On the Horzon I didn't care for the lunch buffet. It seemed that the hours to eat were very limited and there were times you were looking for something to eat but had to keep checking you watch. They were slow in opening and believe me they took the food away exactly on time.

Word of advice if you decide to sail on the Horizon. Avoid the aft rooms on the Caribbean deck rooms 6131 and up. These rooms are under the kitchen galley are are extremely noisy at night.

I am booked on the Summit and Millenium in the coming months, so I haven't given up on Celebrity. I just prefer newer ships and I've heard great things about these ships.

The dining room food was exceptional though. Much better than RCI. The shows were not great. RCI had much better shows.

I've been on RCI's Explorer and the Brilliance of the Seas and I think you might want to consider either Celebrity's Millenium or if you want a mega ship either the Explorer of the Seas or the new Navigator of the Seas.

Enjoy whatever cruise you decide on.
Old September 24th, 2003, 05:38 PM
Cruise Maniac

We are booked on the Horizon one week after you! I have heard lots and lots of
rave reviews and very few negative ones. I suggest that you go to this website
and sign up for a Cruise Critic party! We have about 14 people already
signed up for this party. To do that go to www.cruisecritic.com and at the top
of the page you will see a menu- click on "Boards"; then when on the Boards
menu page click on "Roll Call" and look for postings referencing Horizon's
9 January 2004 sailing- there is one started by HelenRose. We have been
trying to keep it on top of the board just for people like you to find. HelenRose
is doing the back to back cruise on 9 January and 19 January so we have a
nice group chatting along on that board. So join us!

JanGail (AKA WendyGail at www.cruisecritic.com)
Old September 24th, 2003, 05:42 PM
Cruise Maniac

One more thing- I forgot to add that to sign up for the cruise critic party there is
a line at the top of the "Roll Call" page for Celebrity that says "Cruise Critic Party"
that you click on. Directions will follow once you do that. If you get confused,
just ask anyone on the Celebrity thread how to do it- heck I'm sure I'll be on it
so we'll guide you in..... remember, I'm WendyGail over there (someone else
beat me to using JanGail!)

JanGail
Old September 25th, 2003, 02:04 PM
Passenger

Relaxing and romantic??? Well the first I can almost guarantee the other is up to you. Yes it's an older ship but is 1990 or so that old.??? We loved it and I understand that the only thing we thought was a negative.... slow food lines in the buffet has been altered for the better on her and the Zenth. A good choice for your first cruise I'm sure. BTW that's a good tip on the noisey rooms and you might also have a concern on the lower decks to the rear with engine noise.
Old September 25th, 2003, 03:35 PM
Cruise Maniac

We took the Horizon on a Western Caribbean cruise last March and we thought the ship and the service were wonderful. Our cabins were on the "Florida Deck", midships, and were very quiet and comfortable. If it's your first cruise - and if you drink alcoholic beverages, they are pricey (just like any other cruise line), but a lot of folks find it very convenient to whip out the old cruise card and drink up, only to be surprised at the end of the trip. Even over spring break, we had no problem getting chairs poolside, and if you don't care about swimming, tons of chairs were available on the top deck. As far as food service on our cruise - I can't recall passing the buffet when there WASN'T food available. I think I read that they put a lot more people on the Bermuda cruises, so maybe that's why food service was different for them. We left out of Tampa (embarkation was a breeze) and went to Key West, Costa Maya, Cozumel and Grand Cayman. It was an absolutely fabulous trip. Enjoy!