Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Celebrity
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old February 24th, 2004, 01:06 PM
NewbintoCruisin

Default Does Celebrity carry Franzia?

We are taking our first ever cruise this summer and we have read posts about bring our own wine aboard. Can anyone tell me if Celebrity stocks Franzia? If so great, we won't have to lug any aboard, otherwise we will make our purchases the day before we board after we get settled in our hotel.
Sponsored Links
Old February 24th, 2004, 01:45 PM
First Mate

Default Re: Does Celebrity carry Franzia?

I assume you are serious. We drink it at home all the time cause it's cheap, but as for the ship, NO, the quality of wine they serve is slightly better. Maybe by 110% or more.

NMnita
Old February 24th, 2004, 02:15 PM
NewbintoCruisin

Nita. I was being serious. We prefer the taste of Franzia versus anything else we have tried. Wine drinking is completely subjective and we have tried some very expensive bottles of wine that didn't agree with our palate.

I guess we shall be carrying it aboard then.
Old February 24th, 2004, 02:18 PM
Cruise Maniac

i have heard that its fairly easy to bring it aboard in your carryon or checked bags... let us know how it turns out.. when do you leave
Old February 24th, 2004, 03:41 PM
MEL OLMERT

Default Re: Re: Does Celebrity carry Franzia?

briangreen,
To each their own. How obnoxious and mean spirited can you be? I hope that YOU are never on a cruise with me.
Old February 24th, 2004, 04:22 PM
daffomom

We have carried on wine in a box before & it worked out fine. No glass bottle to break & no corkscrew to deal with. We put it in our checked luggage.
Old February 25th, 2004, 10:03 AM
Admiral

As Thumpers mom said to him "if you can't say anything nice, don't say anything at all"!! Wow, I have been accused of being opinionated but downright mean and sarcastic is another thing all together. At one time I used to like Franzia also. My tastes have since developed. Newb, bring your own wine. Variety is the spice of life!
Old February 25th, 2004, 10:40 AM
daffomom

I think you might be surprised to find out exactly what the "house" wine is at many restaurants. Just because you take a cork out of a glass bottle doesn't mean it's great wine either.

And while we are on the subject, that the more you pay the better it is....I guess my husband and I must be low class as we are paying for an inside cabin on a guarantee....
Old February 25th, 2004, 12:37 PM
Horseracer

Briangreen, I wear a Rolex, book suites, my tie is Armani (so is the rest of my suit), and out in the garage near the Boxster you'll find a fridge with a box of Franzia, right next to the Miller Lite.
Old February 25th, 2004, 01:17 PM
First Mate

I reported Him to the Board people. And I hope this will send a message to any future posts like his this will not be ok.
Old February 25th, 2004, 01:17 PM
twtypy

To Briangreen...Check-out Carnival's wine list..they offer Woodbridge White Zen for 22.00 a bottle to purchase for your room, it can be purchased at your local grocery store on sale for 2.49...
Old February 25th, 2004, 01:29 PM
briangreen

i think you children are missing my point.. its a dumb question... and it deserved a dumb answer... i wasnt saying that they are below me or anyone else for their taste in beverages... i personally drink pearl in a can and jack daniels black... but i would never ask if an cruiseline carried boones farm.... and i dont think any of you could agree that this is a sincere question to begin with.... and mr armani, we all know you are full of it, cause anyone with any class never talks about their material posessions, i should know.. have fun kids
Old February 25th, 2004, 01:33 PM
briangreen

Default Re: Re: Re: Does Celebrity carry Franzia?

woodbridge is not 2.49 unless you buy it off the back of a truck! It's at least 6.00, a fine price for a fine wine, indeed!
Old February 25th, 2004, 01:35 PM
twtypy

To Briangreen, you totally missed my point... I pointed out that yes indeed, the cruiselines do offer cheap wine and the mark-up is outrageous...
Old February 25th, 2004, 01:39 PM
twtypy

Default Re: Re: Re: Does Celebrity carry Franzia?

Well if you consider Nob Hill Grocery stores a back of the truck, so be it....Thats where I see it quite frequently at 2.49 a bottle...
Old February 25th, 2004, 03:26 PM
Josie

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Does Celebrity carry Franzia?

"no one with any class ever talks about their material possessions - I should know". Give me a break. No one with any class ever calls people names because of their choice of wine, cabin assignment, beer, suit maker or anything else. You are a boor.
Old February 25th, 2004, 03:43 PM
Yeoman

Wine is all a matter of taste. If you like the taste of it then it's good wine.
NOquestion is considered stupid on the boards. That's why we have these boards so we can ask openedly about anything and not feel bad about asking.
Old February 25th, 2004, 04:20 PM
NewbintoCruisin

Thank you for the responses except those who do not need to be even acknowledged. Don't feed the trolls I always say. We happen to enjoy Franzia more than some fancy higher priced wines. I guess I will be bringing it on board with me. This will be our first Cruise and we always enjoy a glass or two with dinner. I was reading about a corkage fee, which I can pay if that is the rules.
Old February 25th, 2004, 05:38 PM
First Mate

Newbintocruisin, I don't want to fit into Brian's catagory and I wasn't making fun of you, I just never thought anyone would expect to get Franzia on a ship. AS I said we do drink it at home most of the time. I can tell a good wine from a really cheap one. I believe Frazia is ok for the occassional before dinner drink and we have taken it on a cruise once. (my daughter and I) However that being said I have a feeling you will someday enjoy a little better quality. I also agree with those who say wine does not have to be expensive to be very good. twtypy, I have never seen any Woodbridge wine for $2.49 or whatever. Here it's around $6.00. Doesn't really matter, wine, is like food, very subjective however no one would compare Micky Dee's with Outback.

NMNita
Old February 25th, 2004, 05:45 PM
twtypy

Nita, I must have better prices in my neck of the woods..Woodbridge is 4.99 at my grocery store and I have seen and purchased it for 2.49 several times...Our store has half off on many items about once a month...
Old February 25th, 2004, 10:04 PM
Passenger

Hi Newb, try looking at cruise reviews or do a search for your ships wine list. Don't let briangreen faze you, I'm sure he isn't even old enough to drink. Have a great cruise and drink whatever you like.

Jill

Old February 25th, 2004, 10:17 PM
First Mate

twt, I think I need to live where you do.

NMNita
Old February 26th, 2004, 10:08 AM
Cruise Maniac

Newby:
First of all these forums are for questions such as yours. Use what is useful to you and ignore the rest. As for bringing your own bottle to the table, be aware that the corking fee on some ships run about $25.00. Remember we live in a country where we have the right to freely speak our mind. Unfortunantly for some people that means behaving like butt.
Old February 26th, 2004, 11:47 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

I believe the corkage fee on Celebrity is $12.

- The Kuki Side of Cruising-
A new Blog post every Wednesday
http://www.cruisemates.com/blog/author/kuki/
Old February 26th, 2004, 11:48 AM
First Mate

We have never paid $25 cockage fee, but have paid $12.00. I can't remember NCL's but Celebrity last November was $12.00 per bottle. I would suggest, if you are going to bring your own to the table you make certain it is a decent bottle. Again the bottle you buy at home for say, $5 will probably run about $25.00 on the ship. To many it wouldn't be worth the bother to lug bottles of wine onto the ship; for us, it was worth it.

NMnita
Old February 26th, 2004, 12:07 PM
GaryC

On some itineraries you might be able to buy wine, etc portside. For instance, in Panama, the wine/liquor store was located 100 feet or so from the gangway. When I got to the store, many of the crew had already beaten me there and they were stocking up. Most purchases were placed in empty cardboard cases, usually sized to accommodate 3 bottles, and clearly marked. Celebrity didn't bat an eye as they went through security and you took them to your room. On our recent cruise, there were a group that had a cocktail party nightly before dinner on the balcony in the stern (Zenith). They brought their own snacks and wine and nobody said 'boo". (Note: The partygoers were housed in the biggest $$ cabins on ship yet still did their own thing.)
Old February 26th, 2004, 06:12 PM
First Mate

They may not bat an eye at wine, but hard liquor is a different story. Believe we had to give the bottles to the crew member upon boarding and it was returned after 9pm the lst night. We actually had trouble getting it back. Not that they didn't want to give it to us, they just took their own sweet time and we were not the only ones to wait until 10pm last night or later for our stash.

NMnita
Old February 26th, 2004, 08:57 PM
Admiral

GaryC,

I purchased our liquors in that same shop at Colon (also on Zenith) in December. Security at the gangway directed me to the left, where a young guy (working at a table) was trying his best to receive, record, label, etc. the purchases of 5 or 6 other boarding pax. It looked like a losing battle for this kid, who had no help (and who also had to give the people a receipt for each package he took).

There was actually a line formed in front of his table and, as hard as he tried to speed up the process, it became obvious that I'd be standing there for 10 minutes or more waiting to give up our booze. So I did what any sensible person would do...I walked past him to an elevator and took my illicit goods up to our cabin. Nobody said a word. So much for trying to observe the rules!

Jack

Cruise #25, Monarch OTS 11/28/2011, Bahamas
Old February 27th, 2004, 09:57 AM
First Mate

Jack that was a very considerate thing for you to do, we would have done the same, but after grand daughter who had just come of age and could buy booze legally got busted and we were just behind her we thought we should relinquish our stash as well. I think the guy either got a cut for each bottle he convsicated or brownie points.

NMNita
Old February 27th, 2004, 03:42 PM
GaryC

I was on the Zenith in January, and as I stated before, there was no liquor or wine check at security. I saw pax in front of me and behind me passing these obvious alcoholic purchases thru the xray machines, walk thru, and pick up their packages w/o a hitch. Maybe after the Dec. cruise, they "gave up" checking in the alcoholic purchases. Anyone else have a similar experience?