Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Celebrity
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old June 2nd, 2004, 02:41 PM
First Mate

Default Don't be stupid like me

Boy do I feel bad. On my recent Constellation cruise, I could not understand why they were suggesting tips for the Assistant Chief Housekeeper. I thought this was the person in charge of a certain amount of room stewards. I wanted to charge my tips to my FF credit card to get the miles and tried to take this off the list but was told I could only increase the amounts not remove anyone if I wanted to charge my tips.

The suggested amount was only 50 cents a day but I couldn't see why this manager should get a tip as I never saw the person. It was only $14 for the 14 day cruise so I let it go but increased the amounts for others as we had super service.

Well, Celebrity ought to explain this position better or change the name. I just found out that the Assistant Chief Housekeeper is not the room steward's boss but the room steward's assistant. I recall him doing a lot of things but I thought he was just another steward covering for ours. I would have increased that tip too if I had known it was for him. Now I'm glad I at least tipped the suggested amount. Celebrity should change the name of this position to assistant room steward.

I thought I'd post this so that others might profit from my ignorance.
Frank-in-CA
Sponsored Links
Old June 2nd, 2004, 04:19 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna
Default Re: Don't be stupid like me

Hi Frank,
Glad you posted that info, I had no idea either who or what that person did, now I do, thanks.

Message Boards Moderator
Old June 3rd, 2004, 06:41 AM
jamiegunter

Wow we just came back from the Century. I tipped, but not alot for that. Now on
my envelope for the steward it said both their names on the envelope. We did have
a boss type guy come by one day and see if our steward was taking care of us. Hmmm...
Old June 3rd, 2004, 08:50 AM
Yeoman

my cruise tip calculator shows a chief housekeeper but not a chief assistant housekeepe ---are they one and the same
Old June 3rd, 2004, 10:09 AM
Babette

The assistant chief housekeeper is not the assistant stateroom attendant. He/she is an "area supervisor". When you screw up your safe.. that's the person who'll set it straight. When your stateroom attendant and their assistant aren't quite up to snuff.. it's the assistant chief housekeeper who sets things right.

The assistant chiefhousekeeper.. wears stripes!!

The stateroom attendant's assistant is tipped via the tips to the stateroom attendant.
The assistant is the one who does the bulk of the heavy work... like vacuuming.. I always put extra in.. as much as I HATE to vacuum.
Old June 3rd, 2004, 02:21 PM
First Mate

Default Re: Re: Don't be stupid like me

Babette:
Now I'm really confused. I do not see tipping a supervisor, especially when I don't see what that person has done, but I also can't see the assistant sharing in the room steward's tips. The only reason I posted this is because someone told me that was who the tip was for. But the actual title of assistant chief housekeeper did not and still does not sound like the cabin steward's assistant. Now I'm back to square one.

I can understand tipping the assistant Maitre'd as he was around a lot and arranged for some special items. He's a supervisor too, but I don't see the assistant chief housekeeper getting a tip. I don't see that person and they never did anything for me that I know of. The assistant chief housekeeper's envelope was stapled to the room steward's envelope.

Is there any on line documentation about this or do I have to write another letter to Celebrity for clarification.
Frank-in-CA
Old June 4th, 2004, 08:59 AM
Babette

Celebrity is the only like I know where the asst.. Chief Housekeeper is on the gratuity list. The line looks at it as an incentive... for ACH's to make sure their staff are on their toes.

The stateroom attendants.. and their assistants have 20 rooms to take care of. Other lines.. with no assisstants.. they have 10-15.

It's how the line does business.
Old June 4th, 2004, 12:47 PM
Yeoman

so the cabin attendant who gets 3.50 per day per person ok
how much does his assistant get??? it would be my plan to tip them both separately

on hal ship there is a maitre d usually wearing a black tuxedo and there are captains in the dining room who oversee a given number of tables and generally makes an appearance at your table at least once a nite ------------do you tip him the 75 cents per day per person -----i have never tipped the maitre d unless he has done something specific for me such as a table change

what about the bartenders --is a tip automatically put on the tab or do you tip as you go
what about room service if the delivery person is not your room steward --i usually tip them everytime they deliver a meal

lastly for now what about the wine steward in the dining room -- how much do you tip them
Old June 4th, 2004, 04:43 PM
First Mate

EH GADS - are some of u 'folks' just as confused and almost thinking of skipping RCCL cruising (as much as I love it) 'cause this tipping 'thing' is just getting to be too big a hassle - I find myself spending lots of time trying to figure how who and how much to tip - I need a vacation not more 'stuff' to consider!! It's about time this was simplified with a set amount either included in your cruise fare (then the staff can be 'fired' if they don't meet standards - u wld fill out a rating form after your cruise) or added to your acct. automatically as some cruiselines are now doing which u can then take off it u disliked the service. Pleaseeeee give vacationers a break --- I sure hope the 'powers that are' are reading this!! :0(
Old June 4th, 2004, 05:25 PM
First Mate

Here's a message I found on another forum about this:

It seems that there is still some misunderstanding about who is who and the tipping, especially on the Celebrity ships. Let me explain:

Every ship will have a person that is called the "Chief Housekeeper" and that person is usually introduced on the stage during the first night introduction of all of the 'officers' and that person is definietely 'management' and he/she is in charge of all of the housekeeping operations of the whole ship.

The Chief Housekeeper can not oversee/manage the large number of stewards, on presently build large ships so there are Assistant Cheif Houskeepers; usually one per each deck. These people are the ones that make sure your luggage gets delivered where it belongs, make sure your rooms are cleaned according to some accepted standards, they conduct daily inspections of your rooms, they will open your safe if and when you have problems with it, they will 'consult' the stewards if you have problems and or complains, they are the ones that often walk through the halways late in the evening, making sure nothing wrong or unusual is taken place. They are somewhat the same as your headwaiter in the restaurant. They do make an effort to introduce themself to all of the people in his 'district/deck' but often they miss many who are not in the cabins when they knock on the door. On Celebrity ships the guidelines suggest that they should be offered a customary tip of $0.50 p/p per day.

Why Celebrity and not other cruise lines suggest this tip:
I have asked this question before and got an explanation few years ago. Before Celebrity was created in late 80s, it was a smaller company owned by a Greek family and at one time or another, there was a small number of ships and the ships were small. At that time it was a common practice to bring on board some relatives and give them some supervisory duties, there was not much money offered so to make it worthwhile for the people to stay and make a living on the ships, the practice of tipping the Chief Housekeeper or the assitant got started. And it is still continued today on all of the Celebrity ships. Their pay from cruise line is smaller (in comparison with other lines) and they depend on the tips to make a living.

I have heard and read on the boards that if the 'guests' will not tip the Assistant Chief Housekeeper their suggested tip will be taken away from the room steward.
I personnally met number of the 'assistant Chief Housekeepers and I believe that they do a very good job and deserve the tip, even if one does not have a chance to meet them on a particular cruise. All of the 'right' things that happen every day are a credit to those people.

Now, the cabin/stateroom steward: some will have assitants and they will have a larger number of cabins to take care of and therefore a much larger total tip from all of these cabins, so they in turn will share some of their tip with the assitants or helpers. There is no need to tip the assistant/helper.....their money come from the steward, that is an accepted practice. Some stewards will not have assitant and they will have a smaller number of total cabins to take care of and they do keep the tip provided for themself.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I still have a problem with this. I think they've carried over a custom for way too long if this is how this started.
Frank-in-CA
Old June 4th, 2004, 05:33 PM
Babette

Oh for pete's sake... we're talking about $1.00 a day.. based upon double occupancy!
Geesh.....

15% is added to bar bills automatically. 15% is added to wine orders automatically. 10% is added to spa and salon services. I tip roomservice upon delivery.. as it is not always the same person.
Old June 4th, 2004, 10:30 PM
JOE REYNOLDS

Policy: Ddon't tip anyone you haven't looked square in the eye.
Old June 5th, 2004, 07:52 AM
famwald

Well, at least Celebrity is "clear" about who gets how much. I'll be taking my first Celebrity cruise in a few weeks and their guidelines are helpful to me.

My first cruise was on Holland America four years ago. They made a lot of noise about their "no tipping" policy. Finally on the last night, before the cruise ended, they said,
"So many of you have asked, and yes...if you really do want to tip our folks for great service, feel free."

I was so bothered by that. First, because the way it was said made me feel I should leave more tip in the cabin. In addition, I had budged my money closely and had very little cash/currency left in my pockets --- well actually none --- and I felt guilty about having nothing to leave. I planned on getting cash at the airport ATM before flying home.

That experience left me feeling a little "burned" so the Celebrity thing is not a problem for me.
Old June 6th, 2004, 10:46 AM
jerry berkowitz

hi
we were on the golden princess last
december . they charge $ 10.00 per day
for tips . I was apprehensive about
their policy and service . the
service was very good to excellent .
actually we added cash tips to each
service person ,as we were treated
royally by all the crew we had contact
with . liked the idea of not having to
be concerned with tipping .
jerry
Old June 6th, 2004, 04:11 PM
First Mate

>Oh for pete's sake... we're talking about $1.00 a day.. based upon double occupancy!
Geesh.....<

Babette:
It may not be much, that is not the point. The point is that it is not explained properly and that I would have given more to the assistant if I had that opportunity. Plus, I don't like being told to tip someone when I have no evidence that they earned the tip, especially when it seems to be based on some silly, aged custom. What do they add next? The cooks? Why not the assistant cooks? Why not the dessert cooks?

Yes, it is a little amount and is why I let it pass so I could charge all the other tips with the increases I included. I have no problem in tipping generously for those who earn it and I started this topic because I thought I might have shorted one of those people. If it is so insignificant a topic than why bother responding with your "Geesh" put down? Save your fingers for something you deem more important.
Frank-in-CA
Old June 8th, 2004, 04:27 PM
Henry

Frank, I second your last comment.
Old June 9th, 2004, 07:45 AM
seabee

Frank...here is a suggestion...rather than putting your tip money in the envelope to be split between the cabin attendant and his assistant, give each one of them whatever you desire. There is no rule that you have to put money in an envelope. On my last cruise, I did put the recommended amount in the envelope, then I handed both the attendant and his assistant some extra...just shook their hand, thanked them for excellent work and handed them another $10.
Old June 9th, 2004, 08:45 AM
Admiral

Lougee:

Try to answer some of your questions. You tip the room steward $3.50 per day per person, no need to tip his assistant as he gets a cut from that tip. The Asst. chief housekeeper is a different position, he/she is basically the room stewards supervisor. If you don't tip him the recommended $.75 per day per person, his tip will be taken from the room stewards, so he gets it either way.

Bar personnel and wine steward have their tips placed directly on the bill. If there is someone who gives special service you are of course allowed to take care of that person.

Here's the tipping guidelines:

Waiter: $3.50 p/day
Assistant Waiter: 2.00 p/day
Butler (suites only): $3.50 p/day
Assistant Maitre'd: $0.75 p/day
Stateroom Attendant: $3.50 p/day
Stateroom Attendant (ConciergeClass): $4.00
Assistant Chief Housekeeper: .75 p/day

For children less than 12 years old, as third or fourth person in the stateroom, half the above amounts are recommended.

Waiter: $1.75 p/day
Assistant Waiter: 1.00 p/day
Butler (suites only): $1.75 p/day
Assistant Maitre'd: $0.38 p/day
Stateroom Attendant: $1.75 p/day
Stateroom Attendant (ConciergeClass): $2.00
Assistant Chief Housekeeper: .38 p/day

Don

Post Edited (06-09-04 08:47)
Old June 9th, 2004, 11:10 AM
Joe Reynolds

Tipping is still a voluntary thing. I don't tip anyone that has not taken the time to say hello and tell me who they are. The assistant chief housekeeper may do a good job, but if he hasn't met me at least once, he doesn't get a tip.
Old June 9th, 2004, 03:39 PM
First Mate

I wanted to charge my tips so I got my FF miles. I charge everything for that purpose and I've been able to use those miles for business class trips when I cruised Europe in 2002 and Australia/New Zealand this year. It makes quite a difference on those long flights.

When I charge the tips, I still get a receipt that I can give to the person tipped so they know it is there for them.
Frank-in-CA
Old June 9th, 2004, 03:42 PM
First Mate

I found it interesting that Celebrity suggests half of the amount for children. I don't recall seeing that recommendation on other cruise lines. In some cases, children can cause more work for the state room steward and I don't see any less effort for the waiter when serving children. Again, in some cases it takes more.

Again, these are just guidelines. We took our children and grandchildren on a Princess cruise and the head waiter was so good to our grandkids, including cutting the meat of the youngest, that he got a very nice tip.
Frank-in-CA
Old June 10th, 2004, 07:04 AM
Marytutor

Frank,

I asked our attendent, who I previoulsy said was outstanding in another post on CC, about if he had to pool his tips with others as I had heard. He said that the only one that he had to pool with was his assistant and that the other envelope was for his boss.

I had already "slipped" the assistant some extra and had tipped the main one each time that he brought something to the room, which was a lot as we had two "parties" with the group that we met on line and did the Red October with.

I also used the same system so that we could get the FF miles.

Did your friends enjoy the cruise?

Mary
Old June 10th, 2004, 02:43 PM
First Mate

Yes, our friends enjoyed the cruise but felt the games were not done very well. Not those silly games like Carnival has but the trivia, etc. I guess this was due to the fact that the regular cruise director Eric was on a personal leave and his assistant was in charge. Eric made it back for the last few days and was surprised to learn that the newly wed game had been eliminated. We found that to be the most enjoyable and funny audience participation game. Unfortunately, I had bragged to him on how more professional Celebrity was in this area vs. Princess but he came away not feeling the same due to this experience.

I know that this is a minor item on a cruise, but I mention it as it was the only thing they didn't like. They felt the food and service was better than Princess and who can not love the Constellation?
Frank
Old June 10th, 2004, 08:47 PM
Marytutor

Default Re: Re: Re: Don't be stupid like me

Frank,

The newlywed game was back. Our tablemates (we did not get our table of two that we requested) were on it.
Old June 11th, 2004, 02:25 PM
First Mate

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Don't be stupid like me

Isn't that a fun event? We laughed so hard. It is amazing what some people will say when they think they'll never see their fellow travelers again. (G) When we cruised, they not only televised and replayed it for a number of days but also gave copies of the tape to the participants. I thought that was very classy of Celebrity.
Frank
Old June 21st, 2004, 06:38 PM
Passenger

Send a message via AIM to Mike J

Just returned from the Celebrity Escape cruise on Century to the Western Carib. When we received the envelopes for the gratuities I elected to go with the voucher system. The envelopes and vouchers for the resturaunt staff matched, but... I had one envelope that was preprinted "cabin steward", upon which the steward had handwritten his name and that of his assistant, Juan. I also had one preprinted for "chief housekeeper". The vouchers however were preprinted "cabin steward" and "assistant chief housekeeper". I hated to admit my ignorance, but hated worse to fail to tip for the great service, so I went to guest relations and asked. I was informed that the envelope preprinted chief housekeeper, should have been assistant chief housekeeper, who was the floor supervisor. The envelope preprinted cabin steward, and hand emblazoned "and assistant" was for the cabin steward and for his assistant, who is not an employee of the cruise line, but of the cabin steward. According to the guest relations person I spoke with, the cabin steward will hire an assistant and pay him something on the order of $10 for the cruise. The tips the cabin steward receives are used, in part to pay his assistant - who receives nothing from the line. Hope this adds to the confusion.

Mike
Old June 28th, 2004, 01:06 PM
First Mate

Thanks for that latest information. It does make the picture seem a little clearer but I still don't like the way Celebrity does this. I think I'll drop them a line about this to ask to make this arrangement clearer and to say why this supervisor, who I never see, deserves a tip.
Frank-in-CA