Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Celebrity
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old June 15th, 2004, 01:23 PM
Default cruiselines/princess or celebrity

i have been on 5 princess cruises,just booked an 11 night on celebrity summit for costa rica,belize,it is concierge class room.Any one know if it is worth the extra money and if celebrity is better than princess,I have sailed on the Sun, Star and Grand,thanks for any response.what do you think?thanks
Sponsored Links
Old June 15th, 2004, 04:59 PM
Default Re: cruiselines/princess or celebrity

You have asked a loaded question. Princess has it's fans, and obviously you are one.
When Conde Nast Travel published it's most recent cruise survey, seven of the top ten cruise ships were Celebrity. Summit was the number two ship in the survey, number one for service.
I have cruised Princess and Celebrity (including Summit) and I personally would put Celebrity a notch above.
My next cruise is Summit for 14 days in September.
I have heard good and "not worth it" reports on the concierge level service. It does not cost much more, puts you in a desireable room and gives you some nice ammenities.
Make the most of them and then you will fell it was worth it.
Have a nice trip
Old June 15th, 2004, 08:18 PM

I feel that Princess and Celebrity are fairly comparable. Neither is perfect but both are a cut above NCL and RCCL. I also think H.A.L. is about the same quality as Princess and Celebrity. (For what it's worth...)

Ships vary within fleets too, sometimes more than one would think.
Old June 15th, 2004, 09:15 PM

We prefer Celebrity. We have sailed HAL, Princess and Celebrity and for our style of cruising, Celebrity offers what we are looking for. It is really a matter of personal taste and what you enjoy on the trip. We book top suites and like the Butler service and all the extra attention Celebrity gives to those passengers. HAL comes in second.
Old June 16th, 2004, 12:17 AM
First Mate

Most of my cruises have been on Princess including the Dawn, Sun, Coral, Pacific, Regal, Star and soon the Island Princess while only sailing twice on the Celebrity Constellation but I find Celebrity to be a tad better. I'll list some of the differences. Some will mean a lot to some folks and some will be considered window dressing to others. I list them without comment:

Self Service laundry - Princess has, Celebrity doesn't
Preprinted luggage tags - Celebrity has, Princess doesn't
Personal Choice Dining - Princess has, Celebrity doesn't
Outside Glass Elevators - Celebrity has, Princess doesn't
Actually showing the desserts rather than trying to imagine them from reading a menu - Celebrity does, Princess doesn't
Professional looking spiral bound documents - Celebrity does, Princess doesn't
Thalassotherapy pool - Celebrity has, Princess doesn't however it is only free on Millenium class ships and cost $10/day on others
Soft drinks cost 50 cents more per can on Celebrity
Beautiful 2 story restaurant with large glass windows - Celebrity has, Princess doesn't
Concierge Class - Celebrity has, Princess doesn't
Credit for longer cruises - Celebrity gives credit for taking an additional cruise if one takes a 12 day or longer voyage. Also credits for an additional cruise if one books a Concierge cabin. Princess gives the same cruise credits for a 1 day as for a world cruise. As such, those taking longer cruises can reach their membership levels quicker.
Movies - Hard to see in Princess cinema as often showroom lights block part of the screens on some ships. Celebrity seemed to have fewer choices of first run movies.
Medical facilities - although both seem to have pretty good medical care, Celebrity compromises one's privacy by taking vitals and asking personal questions in the waiting room while Princess does it in the room where the patient is seen.
Internet - Celebrity charges 75 cents per minute and on some ships $2 to send or receive a message. Princess charges 50 cents/minute (35 cents/min on some ships) and after taking 6 cruises, one reaches the Platinum level where the internet is free. On Celebrity, one has to reach their highest level to get 10 minutes free. (I don't get that one!)
Games - Celebrity seems to do these in a classier manner with better prizes for the winners.

That's what comes to mind right now and it is all in what one perfers. For example, I don't like PC dining as it causes the first of the evening's shows to be overcrowded where they actually have to shut the doors on some Princess ships advising people to go to the later showing. If one has a morning shore excursion, they may not want to stay up that late. Also, older people or those with children usually prefer early seating and would like to see the early show.

Although many rave about PC dining, every ship I a have been on has had a wait list and angry people wanting to get into traditional dining. We are early seating types so my prejudices are apparent.

Bottom line - although most of my cruises have been on Princess, I feel that Celebrity shows a little more class in what they do and is a tad better in service and food. But that is just MNSHO.
Old June 16th, 2004, 10:45 AM
David starkey

Celebrity just does more things better than Princess. (at least on the many sailings of both lines that I have sailed).
Old June 20th, 2004, 11:06 PM

In the past two years we have cruised on the Celebrity Horizon and the Grand Princess.
We had a great time on both ships!
Some impressions
The Horizon was an older smaller ship than the Grand Princess. I thought the facilities on the Grand were superior. The pools on the Grand were freshwater, and there were four pools, including a swim against the current machine for simulated lap swim. The Horizon had two pools, one which was a more of a hot tub than a pool. The movies on the Grand were easier to view than on the Horizon. There was also a mini golf course on the Grand - which only a few of us used. That was great fun - especially on the day the boat was in stormy water!
The Horizon did not have a fridge in our inside cabin while the Princess did.. On the other hand, the Horizon inside cabin was bigger and better set up than the Grand's inside cabin.
The food on the Horizon was better than the Princess. I found the main dining course to be superior and more interesting. One thing - the Horizon cooked all meats to well done as policy, on the Grand one could get medium rare. In addition, some of our food on the Grand was served lukewarm or cold.
The staff was friendly on the Horizon than on the Grand. A smaller ship - people recognized you after a while. In addition, the Horizon was a much smaller ship, and as a result you ran into and recognized people on board. On the Grand - that never happened!
Performances were excellent on both ships
What a great decision you will have to make. You really can't go too wrong!!
Old June 21st, 2004, 03:15 AM

Hi there

Is ESS's comment accurate - you can't get a rare steak on Celebrity?

Old June 21st, 2004, 06:25 AM

We have had a CC room in April, we didnt feel it was worth the extra. We
were on the Century, it was only a outside room. They dont have many balconys.
So it may be worth it with the balcony, suppose to have nicer furniture on them.
It depends on how much extra you payed.

I havent cruised Princess, so cant give you info there. I will say that Celebrity has good steaks. Although they werent always cooked as we ordered them. Good luck.