Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Celebrity
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old November 23rd, 2004, 07:17 PM
Passenger

Default Senior Citizen Excursions ???

Howdy, this is for my Mother and Aunt (ages average to 80) who sail on Celebrity on Saturday. They are scheduled for San Juan, St. Thomas, and St. Maartin. My mother was wondering about any excursions (preferably on St. Thomas) that are NOT the "just get a cab and head to shopping" type. Although they both have shown interest in a snorkel trip, neither has stamina for a long or even a short swim. They had attempted an excursion on a Kontiki party snorkel a few sails ago but cancelled when they found out that the trip back is basically a college Kegger. Any suggestions that I can relay to her?
Sponsored Links
Old November 26th, 2004, 11:01 AM
Evelyn Richardson

Default Re: Senior Citizen Excursions ???

Supposedly one looks at the pictures in the brochure which comes with your tickets, but my own experience has been rather negative.

I chose one that showed it was "easy and suitable for those who wanted little or no walking." Well we were taken to "view and shop" at an artists studio, then a farm (very rough walking, donkey rides etc) then we arrived at the main attraction a monastery . Arrived was the wrong word , the bus parked in a car park, and we wer informed we had to walk up a very steep hill, to reach the building, those who made the climb (and it was very steep so I stayed in the bus) came back very angry, All they saw was the outside of the building and the view from the top of the hill, the building interior was not open for viewing.

Coming back to ship, the bus driver and guide wished to drop the passengers off for "shopping in town", they were not please when some of us asked to be taken back to the ship. In fact they dropped us off OUTSIDE the terminal area, and we had rather a long walk back .

I think you may wish to hire a taxi and ensure you see those things you want to see rather than going on an arranged tour, which is really nothing more than shopping spree to those stores which "grease the palms of the tour staff"
Old November 27th, 2004, 02:56 PM
hcat

Default Re: Senior Citizen Excursions ???

If you can't do a short or long swim--snorkelling isn't a good idea... Even the trip over to St John in the ferry can be a bit bumpy.. How about a nice visit to a local resort for lunch with a view? Or a water sightseeing without snorkel? Not all these trips are for drinkers----but if you can't swim you can't snorkel!