Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Celebrity
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old April 13th, 2005, 11:17 PM
myrnas

Default hotels near Los Angeles port

Any suggestions for a decent hotel near port in Los Angeles? Is it better to stay near pier or airport? Do the hotels run shuttles to pier? Leaving from Los angeles to Hawaii on March 12, 2006.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Old April 14th, 2005, 12:05 AM
First Mate

Default Re: hotels near Los Angeles port

umm the marriott and renaissance LAX airport are really very nice. whenever i am in the la region i always stay over there.
Old April 14th, 2005, 01:02 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Y2C

The port of Los Angeles is not in the best area, kind of seedy and night time you really do not want to wander around.

Suggest you stay up near LAX and take a shuttle the day of the cruise.
Another alternative is to fly in to Orange County Airport (SNA) and stay there. About the same distance as LAX to port but a very nice area, and less traffic to the port.

Old April 14th, 2005, 01:05 PM
Yeoman

LAX is not in LA and neither is the Port of Los Angeles. Since you have so much time to make a decision, I would use Mapquest or even a real map to see the geography you are going to be dealing with. It shouldn't be much of a hassle since everything is freeway connected out here. My suggestion is to use one fo the internet bid sites to nail down an acceptably rated hotel in the area and use the saving for your ride to the ship.
Old April 14th, 2005, 01:07 PM
newmexicoNita

Mapquest is a good idea. It is true the area (San Pedro) isn't Beverly Hills but there are 2 very nice hotels that I know of, both offering shuttle service to the pier: the Hilton and the Sheridan. LAX isn't in a good area either, by the way. In fact San Pedro is a bit better and there are some great restauarts in the area. NMNita
Old April 14th, 2005, 07:30 PM
hcat

We're thinking of the Sheraton but did not know there was a Hilton in San Pedro..Will look for it on line. Do you know how far that area is from Long Beach Airport-? we'll be flying into that..Thanks
Old April 14th, 2005, 08:00 PM
hcat

Had no luck finding this in the Hilton System..on other sites they show photos of a Hilton Port of LA, San Pedro at 2800 via Cabrillo Marina---it looks great. But did not come up on Hilton Website & when I call the res # for Hilton they did not have it--can anyone clarify..If no longer a Hilton what is it--it looks very nice & convenient....
Old April 14th, 2005, 09:43 PM
newmexicoNita

Maybe it is no longer a Hilton: how sad, it was an older property that would remind you of some place Humphey Bogart would stay with Loren. We absolutely loved it. As for flying into Long Beach, we did too; it's a great idea. I want to say it's maybe a 20 minute taxi ride and a very convenient little airport compared to the nightmere LAX!!! good luck on your cruise; have a blast. NMnita
Old April 15th, 2005, 12:08 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Y2C

hcat,
Try this site for SanPedro Hotels, click on the "Map" for different hotels and the location.
Try Marina Hotel San Pedro, that is the address you mentioned (2800 via cabrillo). Hilton was sold to this company. Sheraton is listed also, but not the best area, OK if you just fly in for the day and relax and have dinner, then off to the cruise terminal the next day.

http://www.sanpedro.com/spcom/hotlodg.htm

Post Edited (04-15-05 00:24)

Old April 15th, 2005, 10:36 AM
myrnas

Thanks for all your help.
Old April 15th, 2005, 11:58 AM
Cruise Maniac

The Port of Los Angeles is adjacent to the Port of Long Beach....Long Beach is a very nice area with plenty of upscale hotels. Check out mapquest and local hotels for Long Beach...enjoy!

Old April 15th, 2005, 08:43 PM
Beginner

We will be going on the same cruise! Although we will be leaving from the port in San Pedro it has been suggested that we stay in Long beach-more selection and nicer hotels. It is my understanding that Long Beach is close enough to San Pedro to make a taxi ride to the port there fairly easy. I would be interested to hear what others have to say.
Old April 16th, 2005, 08:13 AM
hcat

Thanks--we did locate the hotel--it looks lovely so for right now it's a choice of that one & the Sheraton if we stay on San Pedro. Has anyone else stayed at either?. We did see a really nice hotel in Long Beach- The Coast Hotel but felt that was really for Carnival travelers--nearer to the pier & the Queen Mary--but they have a nice website..Not at all familiar with the area so our decisions will be made on board tips! BTW Anyone going RT Hawaii on Summit on March 12, 2006-***edited to delete commercial reference***
Old April 16th, 2005, 12:12 PM
myrnas

Default Re: Re: hotels near Los Angeles port

How and where do you sign up. We're going with three other couples.
Old April 16th, 2005, 06:41 PM
hcat

****edited to delete commercial references*** Where are you from? We are flying in from NY day ahead to Long Beach--cruising with friends we met on Summit last year & friends of theirws we also met on that trip... Where are you from? Maybe we should start a roll call thread here! But you can only get the free party on the other board
Old April 18th, 2005, 04:56 PM
myrnas

We are from New Jersey, near Princeton. We are flying to LAX.
Old April 25th, 2005, 11:24 PM
M&M Cruzers

Default Re: Re: Re: hotels near Los Angeles port

We are on the March 26, 2006, sailing on the Summit out of San Pedro. I understand that the Sheraton, San Pedro is not too bad, haven't stayed there but several of our fellow passengers on our Diamond Princess cruise last New Years stayed there the night before we sailed. We have a roll call thread on another board for the 3/26 sailing and quite a few of the people are staying at the Holiday Inn in San Pedro. The HI is about a mile from the pier and has a package deal with a transfer from LAX, shuttle to pier, room, etc.

My DH and I will be flying into LAX on the day before our cruise and staying at the Hyatt Regency in Long Beach. Normally stay there but I know that there are quite a few great hotels within a very few blocks in downton and nice restaurants also. The taxi ride is a whopping 5-6 miles over the bridge from LB to SP and it is a much nicer area to stay.

Hope you find a hotel and hope you have a great cruise.
Old April 26th, 2005, 01:02 PM
hcat

Could someone compare the Holiday Inn , Sheraton & the Marina Hotel (formerly the Hilton)? Also is the Coast Hotel that is near the carnival dock & Queen Mary a nice place? We are not coming to LAX so for us anything between Long Beach Airport & the San Pedro pier would be fine...I know e have time but it sems that it is a busy cruise season i March & we want to book once we have made a decision... We are just looking for a clean hotellwith a restaurant- at reasonable price-not intersted in wandering much day before the cruise leaves...
Old April 29th, 2005, 08:26 AM
Admiral

Myrnas, and other shipmates to be:

My wife and I will be on the same sailing, along with my sister and niece. I relish the prospect of making a ship our home for 2 weeks--especially since the full moon of March will occur on the 14. Pacific moonlight! Not only that, but we'll be cruising during St. Patrick's Day and the first day of Spring! I suspect that's why the cruise filled up so quickly. We booked on Feb 5, and within a week of our booking, some of my wife's relatives tried to sign on, but it was sold out.

Good Heavens! I just got off Sensation about 3 weeks ago, and already I'm excited about next March. You can look for me at dawn on March 13, 2006. I'll be on deck behind the Waterfall Grill, a smile on my face, sipping coffee and waiting for the sunrise of our first sea day.

Thanks to other posters about Long Beach compared to San Pedro. I'll expand my search for a hotel, and possibly a flight.

I may dwell on the land, but I live at sea!

Steve

Summit

Sensation 2/03 I disembarked, but never really left the ship.
Enchantment 9/03 Just had to go back.
Inspiration 3/04 Just have to go back again, and again, and again...
Sensation 04/05 The vessel made me do it!
Summit 03/06 It's Margaret's fault!
Old May 2nd, 2005, 09:09 PM
Passenger

I would be interested in any info. you may obtain re. same

Our group wil be sailing Summit to Hawaii 4/9/06

Do NOT have flights booked yet
Old May 4th, 2005, 01:14 PM
hcat

So any updates on hotels? We will look for the Hyatt Regency Website--
Old May 8th, 2005, 10:37 AM
myrnas

We haven't booked any yet. Still thinking about whether to stay near LAX or near the pier.
Old May 12th, 2005, 01:40 AM
M&MCruzers

I still vote for Long Beach, Hyatt Regency!! It's only about 10-15 minutes from the Port.
Old May 12th, 2005, 11:12 AM
newmexicoNita

I would take the Marina Hotel (X Hilton) if for no other reason that the charm. I am not crazy over the location of the Sheraton, nothing wrong with it, right downtown, I just like the Marina better. By next choice would be Long Beach. There's a lot to see in the area, but it is not that close to San Pedro. I was raised in the LA area, it isn't miles away, but certainly not right next door as in a few miles or walking distance. Whatever you decide have a great cruise. NMnita
Old May 12th, 2005, 02:22 PM
AR

Long Beach is a very nice place to stay. It's about a 15 minute taxi ride to the ship at San Pedro. On the morning of sailing, try to have breakfast at the Long Beach Cafe. It's at the intersection where the freeway extension meets the main drag. It's the best Greek diner this side of Athens.

Last trip we flew to LAX, grabbed a car, went and visited the Getty Museum (which is fabulous), did a couple other things around the city, and put up somewhere around Redondo Beach. Then on sailing day drove down to Long Beach, had breakfast at the cafe, turned in the car at the downtown location and grabbed a cab to the ship. Very convenient. Of course, things like LAX and driving around out there don't bother us, so we have a lot of flexibility.

But there's lots to do in Long Beach proper, including the hydrofoil to Catalina if you want to (you know, "26 miles across the sea. . ."). Plus, of course, the Queen Mary and all that stuff.