Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Celebrity
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 13th, 2005, 03:20 PM
Passenger

Default Mercury 11-day Mexican Riviera 04/17/06

Hello - New to the board. Seeking any advise/information on this particular cruise. Celebrating 20th anniversary. Love to snorkle. Love to shop. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Old July 19th, 2005, 08:13 PM
becca23

Default Re: Mercury 11-day Mexican Riviera 04/17/06

HI, in reference to your up coming trip, you will have a wonderful time. John and I both in mid 50's loved our cruise. We did a 7day out of SF down the California coast in 4/05, This was our frist cruise experience and it was wonderful, so wonderful that the week we returned we book a 11day Mex/Riv for 10/31/05...The Mercury is a great ship, very special and elegent but also casual...food is the best, and the activities and entertainment really really great...you can do everything and nothing. I packed far too many clothes, the laundry service is so good I will pack much lighter next cruise. If you like spa's save some money for a wonderful spa treatment,its the best. Please feel free to e mail with any questions, we are happy to help and excited about our next cruise. We like the curise so much we are on same deck just 6 doors down, bye
Old July 21st, 2005, 07:44 PM
M&R

We, too will be celebrating our wedding anniversary on this cruise...it will be our eighth. It will also be the second time we are celebrating our anniversary aboard the Mercury as we sailed her in April, 2000. We also would like some information on this itinerary because we have primarily sailed the Carribean.
Thank you for any information in advance.
Old July 22nd, 2005, 01:26 PM
Cruise Maniac

We've sailed the Mexican Riviera twice...once on RCCI and then just recently the Celebrity Mercury. Celebrity is really tops in service and food.

We also liked Celebrity's itinary better. We first stopped in Cabo San Lucas. Shopping there, especially near the pier is very expensive! Wait until further down the coast.

Cabo has really tried to make this port nice...and they have had some success. You will have to tender in. Have your camera ready as you come into port...The rock formations are a real eye popper. From the decks you can see off into the distances some expensive hotels. Beautiful. Several nice places to eat near the pier. You can walk into town...shopping is nothing special though.

Mazatlan is an older city. You can just walk off the ship (in other words...you don't have to tender in) We have done the Mazatlan City tour and Folkloric show...it's ok for your first time...but we would not do it again. Prices are still in the upper range...but you can find some nice deals...(not great...but nice)

Puerto Vallarta is very nice...We took the Tequila Tour...interesting. But I'm sure that some of the other tours are just as good or better. The Tequila offered on the tour was excellent, unique and expensive. It was like buying a fine wine in value and taste. Puerto Vallarta also has some nice boutiques. We got burnt badly at one of the stores recommended by RCCI. I bought a beautiful weigh silver bracelet. Had all the right silver marks/stamps. The clerk offered to clean, box and wrap it for me, as it was a gift. They switched the bracelet to a none silver one. I didn't find out until our ship was leaving!!!! Angery can begin to cover it. Especially since the store was on the ships recommended list. Shop carefully.

Manzanillo is....is....well....interesting. If you can, take a tour..it is the safest bet. The Colima City and Comala Village tour was praised by EVERYONE who took it. We made the mistake of doing our own tour. DON'T.

Acapulco is beautiful!! There are many tours offered. We took one that gave us a city tour plus a trip to see the divers. It was cheap and worth more than we paid. Very well done.

Zihuatanejo and Ixtapa are the BEST! Beautiful...Zihuatanejo is so cute...very village like. CLEAN...CLEAN CLEAN. Shopping prices are good. Lots of beautiful jewerly choices.

Ixtapa very nice. Great beaches and shopping. We did our own touring there.

You will have a wonderful...wonderful time. Happy sailing!

Old July 22nd, 2005, 01:40 PM
hcat

We will be doing this itin a year after your trip so pls post all your tips--we too love to snorkel & not familiar with these ports---
Old July 22nd, 2005, 07:16 PM
Passenger

Default Re: Re: Mercury 11-day Mexican Riviera 04/17/06

Thank you for the wealth of information. I have a list of excursion offered through Celebrity - but not available for booking yet. Very interested in the Cliff Divers in Acapulo - what show time do you suggest, i.e. day or night?
Great shopping tips. I had a recent experience in Disneyland where everything I bougth was not in the bag - but fortunately I was able to resolve that problem. Will keep an eye on my purchases in Mexico as I am also looking for silver jewelry. Where would you say is the best place for a nice bracelet?
Old July 23rd, 2005, 07:42 PM
hcat

For silver, best to go to the shopping lecture & go to rec stores--in Cozumel I remember it had to have a certain weight stamp on it to be any good..I followed the ships rec, got a discount & came away with a beautiful turq/silver necklace & bracelet that remain in good shape--no tarnish...
Old July 23rd, 2005, 08:54 PM
Cruise Maniac

Acapulco has some really beautiful shops, especially if you are looking for some nice silver bracelets. Prices are very very competitive. And they are willing to bargin! For shopping we preferred Acapulco. The quality, shops and the prices were much better than we had encountered at any of the other ports.

We went on the early morning cliff diver tour because it also included an additional tour. Excellent...excellent.

Our guide was funny, informative and entertaining. On our way to the cliffs she pointed out a few of the movie Producers and Stars vacation homes. Breathless views at every turn. At the cliffs divers stop...there are one or two excellent shops. Your tour bus will be stopping right in front of one of them.
Be sure to go in for a look. The goodies there are very nice and the prices reasonable.

The tour we took also included an additional tour to the opposite side of the bay. It was truely one of the best tours. We saw things we would have never seen if we had tried to do the tour on our own.

Also...when you pull into port...a few steps from the ship will be a little mini mall. There are some nice shops in there. Can't remember the names. But the shops are not your 'pull off to the side of the road' type vendors. Worth a look too.

We got our friends some beautiful gifts from Acapulco.

Happy shopping!!!

Old August 8th, 2005, 08:09 PM
M&R

We really appreciate the shopping and excursion tips from SandraW. They are very helpful and we are getting more excited about this cruise everyday. Of course we still have to endure a New England winter before we go, but it will make the cruise that much sweeter.
Old August 10th, 2005, 01:08 PM
hcat

Hey we have to wait even longer--we aren't booked until April 07--but that's beacuse we have other trips in between--Looking forward to hearing all the reviews when you return fromall your trips before ours! One other point--if that silver bracelet flim flam was from a rec store did you take it up with the shopping guide to see what they could do for you? They should make that store stand by the orig sale or take them off the list!