Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Celebrity
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old December 8th, 2005, 06:57 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Domenician Republic-Casa de Campo

Discovered that this port is not the best on the itinerary.

Has anyone been to this port and gone to an all-inclusive resort near the port for the day? Interested in finding out the name of the resort so I can contact them. Understand they do have day passes, which might be fun. Any idea who much the day passes are?

Anyone ever taken an excursion or tour to Altos de Chavon?

Just trying to find things to do in this port, so far, not too much of interest.

Many thanks
Sponsored Links
Old December 9th, 2005, 09:02 AM
Beginner

I am trying to remember where in the Domenician Republic we did go. We went to an all inclusive resort there. the resort was very nice --the beaches there are beautiful. The town was nasty diry --and we did not feel too safe in the downtown area. The resort had gaurds on duty guarding entrance all the time with guns strapped to the,

I do not know that I will ever go back to the Domenician Republic. But the resort we had there was nice --and the wate4r --beaches etc --are beautiful.

Just a note --most people lay out topless --NOT ME!! But in case you were not prepared for this.
Old December 9th, 2005, 10:41 AM
First Mate

Can't remember the name of the resort either, but it has a world class golf course. The english translationof the name is "Teeth of the Dog".

We went there on Mercury in 2003, and went to Celebrity's private beach ... very dissapointing. Nothing like Royals Coco Cay!

Queen Mary 2, Canada

Enchantment, Western Carribbean

Century, Caribbean

Century, Western Mediterranean

Jewel, Eastern Caribbean
Old December 9th, 2005, 01:49 PM
Beginner

Oh I loved Royals Coco Cay also. My hubby and I went there Memorial Day weekend on Royal Carri for our anniversary. It was only a 4 day cruise --but wonderful still. I will take them any way I can get them--short or long. I prefer the longer cruises --I love the days at sea alos --just to relax and enjoy!!
Old December 9th, 2005, 02:07 PM
First Mate

The resort is well known--Casa de Campo. My understanding is that usually must take ship's excursion there if offered & you will be limited as to what parts are accessible. tablemates took the altos de chavon trip & loved it--it is a constructed artisis village & they got some nice artwork we should have done that--they had a better tender we took the little life boats to Catalina Island--not so pretty , pushy shopkeepers & did not feel safe (it's a beach island off DR coast) DR not a plce I;d go back to! But if I had to I'd take Altos de chavon trip
Old December 9th, 2005, 07:28 PM
Admiral

cruiztime,

Discovered that this port is not the best on the itinerary.

I'm not sure where you heard that ugly rumor, but it positively is not true. This port of call offers a good blend of activities.

Has anyone been to this port and gone to an all-inclusive resort near the port for the day? Interested in finding out the name of the resort so I can contact them. Understand they do have day passes, which might be fun. Any idea who much the day passes are?

Casa de Campo (literally, "country house") IS a very exclusive resort near the city of La Romana.

>> The resort has a nice shopping area where the shops are not operated by the usual suspects who dominate most Caribbean ports of call.

>> IIRC, the resort has its own golf courses that you can play on organized golf excursions, if that's your interest.

>> The resort has its own dedicated marina and fleet of catamarans, etc., that operate many of the shore exucursons in this port of call. I don't recall the name of it, but I highly recommend the sailing excursion that goes to a beach on another island nearby.

>> The resort also puts on a show in the evening, if you wish to take it in.

Yes, there are excursions that go to other places from La Romana, but why bother?

Norm.
Old December 12th, 2005, 06:14 PM
Beginner

We have been to this resort several times. It is called Casa de Campo. Its lovely. You must take the bus ride up to Altos de Chavon. Its very beautiful.
It is best to stay on the resort property.
Old December 13th, 2005, 10:26 AM
Cruise Maniac

Default The ports are what you make of them

Along with the less than our standard of living and poverty in some countries there is also a lot of beauty. You just have to look beyond the obvious and seek out the gems.

Having been to the DR before, not only did I gain a better appreciation for the things I have and the way I live, but how so many people can live happy and fulfilling lives wth much less than most of us have.

I would gladly again take a cruise with the DR on its itinerary. The island is beautiful, and the vendors/residents are MUCH less pushy and intimidating than those of Jamaica which has passed my three strikes rule. The rule: I initially give a destination a chance; 2: regardless of the first time experience, I give it a try again. 3: If it sucked three times in a row....I write it off. Un like the DR, I have found that UNLESS you visit a resort area and stay in the confined areas you are consitantly and barraged by locals who not only vocally attack you but physically make contact with you intimidating you to buy their wares or beg for money. I did not find this either time or at least to the extent in the DR.

Both are lovely islands with much to offer and both are very poor. The thing to remember is that you are visiting an island then going back to the snow in Fargo, the land locked areas of the midwest, or the rocky coasts of the upper east and west coasts. These people live on the beach year round........who are the real winners here.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, and as I said there is much beauty and wonder if you can get past the initial shock of the poverty. Be grateful for what you have...however I would gladly give up my TV. remote controls, pick-up truck and everything else for a chance to live in paradise....or at least to try it.

Dave
Celebrity Mercury - Alaska 09/08/06
Celebrity Century - Freeport 01/04/07
RCL Monarch OTS - Ensenada 01/11/07
Celebrity Zenith - W. Caribbean 03/23/07
Upcoming cruises:
Azamara Quest - CocoCay 10/24/07
Celebrity Century - W. Caribbean 01/03/08
Celebrity Galaxy - Mediterannean 06/09/08
Celebrity Millenium - PNW 09/19/08
Old December 13th, 2005, 08:55 PM
Cruise Maniac

Thanks Dave and yes, I do agree with you.

We have visited many Islands and counties where the people were not as fortunate as us to be born in the USA with all our creature comforts and wonderful standard of living.

However, I found that the people that live in poor areas, with VERY little were extremely happy with what they had and enjoyed life for what it was. You could see happiness and love in their eyes. They were not worried about their two cars or 5 TV sets. I have been in homes that had no running water and their bathroom was a hole in the ground behind their shack. Beautiful, beautiful people who had so little. Makes you wonder what it is really all about.

My question about DR was simply what to do in this port.

Happy Holidays everyone, count your blessings. Every once and awhile I need a little kick to remind me to appreciate all I have and count MY blessings.
Summit 11/01
Millennium 2/02
Mercury 11/02
Star Princess 3/03
Zuiderdam 8/03
Century 10/03
Voyager of the Seas 2/04
Regal Princess 7/04
Zaandam 12/04
Galaxy 9/05
Infinity 1/06
Jewel of the Seas 8/06
Zenith 1/07
Adventure of the Sea 9/07
Insigna 3/08
Solstice 11/08
NCL Jade 5/09
Diamond Princess 8/09
Oceania Ragetta 11/09
Old December 18th, 2005, 03:04 PM
First Mate

We loved theCasa de Campo stop on our Celebrity Millenium cruise last winter. There are free buses to Altos de Chavon; a gorgeous walk back in time, with cobblestone streets and very authentic looking 'ancient' buildings. We spent several hours there in daylight enjoying the ambience, then returned in the evening for the spectacular outdoor 'Kandela" performance. (It was about $30.00 booked through the ship, not sure about price at the gate.)
Visiting any country, especially the desperately poor ones, requires some patience, tact and graciousness on the part of the traveller. We appreciate the opportunity to experience other cultures, and have even more appreciation for the wonderful country to which we return.
Old December 20th, 2005, 01:47 PM
First Mate

I agree but graciousness & warmth should also be extended on the part of the hosts. Poverty is not an excuse for bad behavior. Our trip to Catalina island was not pleasant--next time based on above we'll try Altos de Chavon instead!
Old December 23rd, 2005, 06:51 PM
Admiral

We are going back to La Romana for the 4th time to an all-inclusive...First, C asa de Campo is one of the finest resorts i the Caribbean..Second, if your going to go into La Romana..hire one of the men in the green shirts (they are Cuban).. and are less expensive than the D.R. cab drivers who have a strong union.. As in every city always be aware of where you are.. I will be going into La Romana to the immaculate supermarket to buy Santo Domingo coffee beans..we give it as gifts, 150% pure rum and the best vanilla and to the flea market.. sit in the Zolca and have an ice cream..This is at least our 10th time to the D.R. from Santo Domingo to Porta Platta, Punta Cana and La Romana.. and I have never found the people to be less than very polite and helpful. Compared to the last few times in Mexico I dont feel threatened and a few words in spanish does help..[/list]
Old December 24th, 2005, 12:29 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Hey parrotmom

Great advice!

I totally agree with your post.

By the way where in MA are you from? I'm From North Amherst and then spent most of my life/childhood in Hadley.

Dave
Celebrity Mercury - Alaska 09/08/06
Celebrity Century - Freeport 01/04/07
RCL Monarch OTS - Ensenada 01/11/07
Celebrity Zenith - W. Caribbean 03/23/07
Upcoming cruises:
Azamara Quest - CocoCay 10/24/07
Celebrity Century - W. Caribbean 01/03/08
Celebrity Galaxy - Mediterannean 06/09/08
Celebrity Millenium - PNW 09/19/08
Old December 24th, 2005, 01:30 PM
Admiral

We are from Marlboro...literally next to Route 495.. Not far from La Romana the Red Sox have their D.R. training camp, but I'm not sure if its opened to the general public yet... Like to go down there and give the Red Sox a piece of my mind.. BTW do you know Sammy Sousa is from the La Romana area? Love watching the guys on the back of mopeds with their baseball equipment going off to play..