Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Celebrity
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old December 29th, 2005, 12:10 PM
Beginner

Default Constellation

Can anyone tell me some differences between Royal Caribbean and Celebrity? We love RC, do you think we will enjoy Celebrity? We are booked on constellation. Are the dining options and entertainment similar? Is there anything we should look out for? Also, there always seemed like there was a show to see or something to do on the Grandeur of the seas, is that the same on the constellation? Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance.
Sponsored Links
Old December 29th, 2005, 04:59 PM
Cruise Maniac

We have been on three Royal Caribbean cruises (Rhapsody, Splendour, and Brilliance) and on one Celebrity (Galaxy). We are also booked on the Constellation...for next May. Based only on our experiences with those ships, we give the nod, so far, to RCCL on all items you mention. Maybe the Constellation will even things out, or swing us in CCL's direction. I would say that the Rhapsody and Galaxy were close, but the other two RCCL ships were better in our opinion.
Old December 29th, 2005, 07:45 PM
First Mate

Having been on Connie & Brilliance, IMHO Celeb is the best overall. Connie is one of the nicest M class ships in terms of layout & decor...the couch is near the balcony door which is not the case on Brilliance but both have nice cabins. Brilliance is a beautiful ship with many nice venues--Chops Portofino, a lovely Colony Club, a great centrum lounge area & a gorgeous private steam/sauna area in the spa.. When we were on board the music & entertainment was good to excellent on Brilliance but on our Connie trip the entertainmemnt was outstanding (we sailed from NYC & had top talents for every show). However, the overall celeb cruise experience is just finer & more elegant on Celeb.--no rap music on the PA, not in your face social directors or assistants, better level of cabin service & they aim for a different demographic. but we have enjoyed both lines----just depends on what you prefer at the given time....we picked based on itin & ship & time of yr...
Old January 3rd, 2006, 10:30 AM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via Skype™ to scapel
Default Re: Constellation

Quote:
Originally Posted by skconst
Can anyone tell me some differences between Royal Caribbean and Celebrity? We love RC, do you think we will enjoy Celebrity? We are booked on constellation. Are the dining options and entertainment similar? Is there anything we should look out for? Also, there always seemed like there was a show to see or something to do on the Grandeur of the seas, is that the same on the constellation? Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance.
Hi,
I guess to give you a perspective I should mention which RCCL and which Celebrity I have been on.
RCCL: Monarch of Seas, Splendour of Seas, Legend of Seas, Sun Viking,
Celebrity: Horizon, Infinity x2, Constellation x2, Summit, and Millennium.

I think Celebrity is just a step better than RCCL ships in overall evaluation.
There are of course various things that can and will affect a cruise to give one plus and minus points. These are too numerous to count.
I think the Ocean Liners is the name of the Specialty Restaurant on the Connie. Be sure and eat there. It is worth the extra money. To me almost all general restaurant food on all cruise ships is basically the same. I have had bad and good on all kinds of ships over the past 30 cruises. RCCL & Celebrity general restaurant food is about the same. I will say that X is better organized than Legend in the cafeteria style eating area.
The Ocean Liner Restaurant has it's own group of chefs and you can see them working behind a glass. Wave at them, they love it if they aren't too busy.
Old January 3rd, 2006, 09:50 PM
Admiral

skconst,

Royal Caribbean International and Celebrity Cruises are sister lines (that is, they are subsidiaries of the same parent company, Royal Caribbean Cruises Ltd.) that compete in different segmetns of the market. Royal Caribbean International is the company's "mainstream" product, compteing head to head with Carnival Cruises, Norwegian Cruise Line, and Costa Crociere. Celebrity Cruises is the company's "premium" product, competing head to head with Holland America Lines and Princess Cruises. It's sort of like the difference between buying a Chevrolet (mainstream) or a Buick (premium) or buying a Plymouth (mainstream) or a Chrysler (premium). Which you prefer depends entirely upon your tastes.

Overall, my impression is that Royal Caribbean's newest ships offer more activities oriented toward a physically active crowd, such as ice skating and rock climbing, whereas Celebrity Cruises offers more activities oriented toward sophisticated tastes such as lecture programs, culinary programs with guest chefs affiliated with Bon Appetit magazine, and even seminars in wine pairing (not to be confused with a wine tasting seminar) and, for repeat passengers, wine blending that I have not found on other lines. Celebrity Cruises typically also has several "informal" evenings (sport coat required for gentlemen) in addition to the customary formal evenings. You probably will notice a lot fewer announcements of daytime activities on Celebrity's ships, too -- which means that you need to pay attention to the time if there's an event that you want to attend or an activity in which you want to participate.

It'a all a matter of preference. Give Celebrity a try and see which style you prefer.

Norm.