Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Celebrity
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 26th, 2006, 02:09 AM
Passenger

Default Formal Tee Shirt?

You think I'll get the bounce if I wear a black tuxedo tee shirt under a sport jacket with slacks on formal night in the dining room on the Infinity?
Sponsored Links
Old January 26th, 2006, 05:48 AM
Admiral

IMHO, you need to wear a shirt and tie with a suit on formal night. I'm not sure the t-shirt falls under "formal".
RCCL Allure of the Seas - September 18, 2011
Celebrity Eclipse - February 11, 2012:
RCCL Navigator OTS - February 9, 2013
Old January 26th, 2006, 10:31 AM
Cruise Maniac

Default trying to cause trouble HIGHSEAS?

First, there is NO such thing as a formal T-shirt. What you are actually referring to is a NOVELTY t-shirt with a 'formal' or tuxedo print or screen on it.

Second, IMHO a sportcoat and slacks would be appropriate for an INFORMAL night, not a formal one. And a shirt with a collar should be worn.

Third, I see no problem, fashion faux pas, or breaking of the rules if you choose to wear a TASTEFUL T-shirt ( solid color, no logos, printing, or screens) out of a nice fabric (brushed cotton, silk, etc) with your sportscoat, and slacks for an CASUAL night.

Hope that clears it up,

Dave
Celebrity Mercury - Alaska 09/08/06
Celebrity Century - Freeport 01/04/07
RCL Monarch OTS - Ensenada 01/11/07
Celebrity Zenith - W. Caribbean 03/23/07
Upcoming cruises:
Azamara Quest - CocoCay 10/24/07
Celebrity Century - W. Caribbean 01/03/08
Celebrity Galaxy - Mediterannean 06/09/08
Celebrity Millenium - PNW 09/19/08
Old January 26th, 2006, 08:08 PM
Passenger

Default tuxedo tee shirt

Screw it. Formal nights I eat at the buffet grille and informal nights I wear a polo shirt and Khakis (just like before).
Old January 26th, 2006, 08:56 PM
Admiral

HIGHSEAS,

You think I'll get the bounce if I wear a black tuxedo tee shirt under a sport jacket with slacks on formal night in the dining room on the Infinity?

Hmmm....

We scientists always like to do experiments to validate our theories, and this one should be quite interesting. Let's see which bounces higher -- the jerk in the "faux tuxedo" T shirt on formal night or the rubber check handed to the purser's desik....

Norm.
Old January 26th, 2006, 10:47 PM
Passenger

Thanks Norm for turning a reasonable question into calling me a jerk.....hope I don't meet the likes of you onboard.
Old January 27th, 2006, 07:27 PM
Admiral

Hi HIGHSEAS,

Unless you are a celebrity, you'll probably get "bounced" !

We have a local "celebrity" here who always wears that T-shirt with his tux. It's his "thing" and everyone knows he'll show up dressed that way!

You're name isn't Craig, is it? Maybe you've moved to SF?

Have a wonderful cruise, no matter HOW you dress,

"A truly happy person is one who can enjoy the scenery on a detour."

Carnival Inspiration 2002 Carnival Elation 2004
Grand Princess 2004 NCL Sun 2005
Sun Princess 2006 NCL Dream 2007
Caribbean Princess 2007 NCL Dawn 2008
Island Princess 2008 Island Princess 2009
Golden Princess 2009 Carnival Conquest 2010
Grand Princess 2010 Island Princess 2011
Grand Princess 2011 Carnival Magic 2012
Carnival Dream 2012 Island Princess 2013
Carnival Magic 2013 Carnival Legend 2014
Sea Princess 2014
Old January 27th, 2006, 11:57 PM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by HIGHSEAS
Thanks Norm for turning a reasonable question into calling me a jerk.....hope I don't meet the likes of you onboard.
Highseas: I think you had that coming; Norm's response fits your earlier comments to a tee.....
Perhaps nobody wants to meet you either, if that's your attitude.
We're dealing with the cruise industry in general here, and Celebrity in particular;;;;maybe you're in the wrong forum.

Happy sailings.
Have a good life.
Cheers
CG

Nest up: CENTURY June'08....B2B Norwegian Fjords/Artic/NorthCape & Scandinavia/Russia

TIME TO BOARD YET ??
CLAUDE G
Old January 28th, 2006, 05:31 PM
Beginner

Default Re: Formal Tee Shirt?

Quote:
Originally Posted by HIGHSEAS
No, it's not likely. That's because Celebrity will no doubt continue its practice of cutting that sort of thing way too much slack, not because you wouldn't deserve to be bounced.
Old January 29th, 2006, 08:27 PM
Admiral

HIGHSEAS,

Thanks Norm for turning a reasonable question into calling me a jerk.....

Several recent threads including http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=452926 addressed dress standards for formal evenings on Celebrity explicitly, and would have made the answer to your question very clear before you posed it. Thus, I took your question as an attempt to jerk the chains of some of us who were participating in those threads and replied in that vein.

hope I don't meet the likes of you onboard.

If you take a cruise on Celebrity, it's pretty much guaranteed that you will meet folks whose tolerance of a stunt like wearing a faux tuxedo "T" short would be far less than mine. Celebrity is a "premium" cruise line that draws an "upscale" crowd, many of whom would not be amused by such a prank. In short, the assistant maitre d' who sent you back to your cabin to change into appropriate attire would be doing you a much bigger favor than you seem to comprehend.

Norm.
Old January 30th, 2006, 08:26 AM
Admiral

Basically you are asking" should I be a jerk and wear a clown costume into the dining room on formal night?". Don't know if you will get "bounced" but you will be the jerk in the clown costume. Don't let us stop you.
Old February 1st, 2006, 11:01 PM
First Mate

Sailed the mercury a couple weeks ago. On the last formal night there were several men wearing black suits with a tasteful crewneck shirt (not a T exactly but dressier.)Agree that a novelty T-shirt would be tacky. I feel kind of sorry for the men as the dress codes seem to afford the women a lot more freedom in acceptable dining room attire.
Old February 2nd, 2006, 08:38 AM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by kd
Sailed the mercury a couple weeks ago. On the last formal night there were several men wearing black suits with a tasteful crewneck shirt (not a T exactly but dressier.)Agree that a novelty T-shirt would be tacky. I feel kind of sorry for the men as the dress codes seem to afford the women a lot more freedom in acceptable dining room attire.
What is acceptable to Celebrity, is apparantly not acceptable to the posters on this board.
Explorer of Sea 2003
Norwegian Dawn 2004,2005
Voyager of the Sea 05/05
Celebrity Zenith 1/23/06
Celebrity Century 11/13/06
Norwegian Dawn DD cruise 10/14/06
Celebrity Constellation TA 9/15/07
Norwegian Dawn 10/25-26 Nowhere
Old February 2nd, 2006, 10:12 AM
Cruise Maniac

Default kd

While a suit and crewneck shirt IS NOT FORMAL in my book, withthe discrepancy about ties, I feel it is perfectly suitable for an INFORMAL night.

How ever it is better than nothing at this point, and at least they were wearing suits.

Dave
Upcoming cruises:
Old February 2nd, 2006, 11:26 AM
Admiral

Highseas,

Don't let "Norm" and "Rev" get your goat....this subject has been beaten to death on other posts, and these two have no life. How do I know this is true? Because they are on these boards every moment of the day and the INSTANT someone states that they won't be wearing a tux to formal night, they are there to blast the person and to insist they are better than anyone else. They are so obsessed with what others are wearing, you could very easily ruin their entire vacation by not subjecting yourself to the cruiselines dress guidelines. (A direct quote from one of Celebrity's employees.)

This is my last post on the subject, I just wanted to get on and show you that not everyone is so stuffy. There are MUCH more important things going on in the world, so why have a screaming fit over what someone is wearing?? Good grief!!!

So have a terrific time on your cruise, enjoy yourself, and pity these two guys whose lives can be so easily affected by others! I couldn't care less what others wear, and am all the much happier in MY life for it!!!

Enjoy!!!!

8/92 Mex. Riv. Commodore
9/98, 9/00, 9/02 & 7/04 Caribbean - Paradise
10/00, 08/05 Pac. Wtrs. Holiday, Monarch
04/06 Hawaii - Celebrity Summit
09/07 Alaska - Celebrity Summit
07/09 Western Caribbean RCCL Liberty of the Seas
Old February 2nd, 2006, 11:52 AM
Cruise Maniac

Default JeanS...

"you could very easily ruin their entire vacation by not subjecting yourself to the cruiselines dress guidelines. (A direct quote from one of Celebrity's employees.) "

Not sure what you are trying to get across here, but if this is a direct quote as you state...The cruise line IS asking you to adhere to their standards.

I'm all for everyone having a good time, but I'm also for having everyone follow the guidlines.

The lines do make alternatives for those who 'choose' not to dress appropriately. I only protest when these folks feel it is their 'right' to make their own rules and not adhere to the ships standards.

I've also been on a cruise where there was a very large sign that stated " NO INFANTS in the hot tubs WEARING DIAPERS", well, someone of your mentality decided it was their cruise and they paid for it and brought their child in. The child 'went ' in the tub. The tub was CLOSED for the entirety of the cruise. Many people were put out by this, however following your logic...its just TOO BAD. They had a right to break the rules because it was their vacation. And while this incident is apples to oranges, the primary theme IS still the same. Yes, some guest EXPECT everyone to follow the rules. We all know there will be a few that won't. The cruiselines SHOULD do more to make folks adhere to policy.

But the bottom line comes down to what kind of a person you are. If you respect others, and if you are an admirable person.

We are all judged buy the cover we wear, regardless of whats in the book, and don't tell me thats not true.

Buy the way, if you were referring to me, its DAVE. Norm and Rev are the same person.

This could be a clear factor in your lack of adhearance. You don't pay attention, or you only pay attention selectively.

I thought we already made peace on this issue.

I was obviously wrong in trusting you, and should have know better that you would come back and attack after declaring one.

As far as I'm concerned your integrity is only as good as your actions.

You have shown me you have none.

You would not be welcome at my table, or sitting next to me in the theatre. I would ask that you be moved.

Sorry, but a liar is a liar, and I feel sorry for you and you family for having to live such a deceptive life.

Dave
Upcoming cruises:
Old February 2nd, 2006, 01:17 PM
Admiral

Jean,

Don't let "Norm" and "Rev" get your goat....this subject has been beaten to death on other posts, and these two have no life. How do I know this is true? Because they are on these boards every moment of the day...

You are proving only that you are "shooting from the hip" and missing the mark by posting this nonsense. I occasinally get to check and reply to messages twice in the course of a day, but there are even more days when I don't get to the CruiseMates site at all.

They are so obsessed with what others are wearing...

I also am NOT "obsessed" (your term) with what others are wearing. Rather, I am simply trying to help folks who never learned social etiquette avoid a social faux pas that would be a complete embarassment to anybody with a social conscience.

This is my last post on the subject...

It seems to me I've heard that song before....

But is it any more credible this time?

There are MUCH more important things going on in the world, so why have a screaming fit over what someone is wearing?? Good grief!!!

I don't see anybody "having a screaming fit" (to use your terminology) over what anybody is wearing, but I do see somebody "having a screaming fit" over the expectation of proper dress for a formal ("black tie") event. We won't name names....

Norm.
Old February 2nd, 2006, 07:26 PM
First Mate

This thread kills me, who are you people to tell others who they should and should not cruise with, get over yourselves. This is supposed to be a board where members share information and try and help one another. All that happens here is that people contantly criticize others and tell them how to dress where to eat and what cruiseline they are permitted to sail on.
Like it or not Celebrity cruise line is changing, they are relaxing their rules somewhat, perhap you should all cruise HAL where everyone is perfect.
Explorer of Sea 2003
Norwegian Dawn 2004,2005
Voyager of the Sea 05/05
Celebrity Zenith 1/23/06
Old February 2nd, 2006, 07:57 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default slotaddict....et tu brutus?

You are on CM as well as CC following the posts just as many of us are.

"This thread kills me, who are you people to tell others who they should and should not cruise with, get over yourselves. This is supposed to be a board where members share information and try and help one another. All that happens here is that people contantly criticize others and tell them how to dress where to eat and what cruiseline they are permitted to sail on.
Like it or not Celebrity cruise line is changing, they are relaxing their rules somewhat, perhap you should all cruise HAL where everyone is perfect."

The OP's question was:

"You think I'll get the bounce if I wear a black tuxedo tee shirt under a sport jacket with slacks on formal night in the dining room on the Infinity?"

Do you remotely agree with this? I'm just curious.

Dave
Upcoming cruises:
Old February 2nd, 2006, 08:14 PM
First Mate

See the difference between you and me is that I thought that post was sort of tongue in cheek. As I previously stated i follow the dress code, but it does not bother me in the least what other people do. I just can;t get all worked up over it. What bothers me is that people are so unkind. I have been in my share of confrontations both on this board and the other board. But what is killing me here is that people are acting like others are not worthy to sail Celebrity. When I first started sailing Celebrity I thought it was more upscale than it is now. Additionally, I have read alot of posts about if you want to look like a slob go sail Norwegian. I have been on Norwegian twice and never did I see anyone inappropriately dressed. At least 50% of the people were dressed to the nines on formal night. Live and let live that is my motto. Life is too short for all this hostility. As for Celebrity being so upscale, my DH was going back the room last week and there was a woman on the elevator who didn;t want him to get on she said there was no room for him, and pushed the close door button so he couldn;t get on. Passengers are rude and hardly what I would consider upscale. I try and treat people the way that I would wish to be treated. OK I will now get off my soapbox.
Explorer of Sea 2003
Norwegian Dawn 2004,2005
Voyager of the Sea 05/05
Celebrity Zenith 1/23/06
Old February 2nd, 2006, 08:52 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

Folks.. this is "AGE OLD" discussion.. and by now you should all be able to handle it WITHOUT the personal attacks.

Express your opinions ON THE TOPIC as often as you like. Expressing opinions about the posters is not helpful in any way.
- The Kuki Side of Cruising-
A new Blog post every Wednesday
http://www.cruisemates.com/blog/author/kuki/
Old February 2nd, 2006, 09:52 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default slotaddict...

I do agree with most of what you say, especially your last post.

Dave
Upcoming cruises:
Old February 2nd, 2006, 11:32 PM
First Mate

Hi, all

AMEN to that.....!

God, that sure went south in a hurry.....

HAPPY SAILINGS
Cheers
CG

Nest up: CENTURY June'08....B2B Norwegian Fjords/Artic/NorthCape & Scandinavia/Russia

TIME TO BOARD YET ??
CLAUDE G
Old February 3rd, 2006, 11:13 AM
First Mate

Default Re: slotaddict...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bububr
I do agree with most of what you say, especially your last post.

Dave
Thanks Dave, I am not usually a confrontational person, but somethings just get to me. I have learned so much from these boards and I am very grateful for most of things that I have learned. Incidently, when I joined these boards, I was already a seasoned cruiser I was surprised at how much I didn;t know.
Explorer of Sea 2003
Norwegian Dawn 2004,2005
Voyager of the Sea 05/05
Celebrity Zenith 1/23/06
Old February 3rd, 2006, 12:31 PM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via Skype™ to scapel
Default Got us

High Seas wrote: You think I'll get the bounce if I wear a black tuxedo tee shirt under a sport jacket with slacks on formal night in the dining room on the Infinity?

1.Mary Lou Answered: IMHO, you need to wear a shirt and tie with a suit on formal night. I'm not sure the t-shirt falls under "formal".

2.Bububr wrote: First, there is NO such thing as a formal T-shirt. What you are actually referring to is a NOVELTY t-shirt with a 'formal' or tuxedo print or screen on it.

Second, IMHO a sportcoat and slacks would be appropriate for an INFORMAL night, not a formal one. And a shirt with a collar should be worn.

Third, I see no problem, fashion faux pas, or breaking of the rules if you choose to wear a TASTEFUL T-shirt ( solid color, no logos, printing, or screens) out of a nice fabric (brushed cotton, silk, etc) with your sportscoat, and slacks for an CASUAL night.

Hope that clears it up,

Dave

3.Highseas wrote: Screw it. Formal nights I eat at the buffet grille and informal nights I wear a polo shirt and Khakis (just like before).
================================================== =
Highseas, You put a question on the sight. I thought it could have been taken as a joke at first and maybe you meant it to jerk some chains.
Two people gave appropriate answers but the term “Screw it� sent the discussion south. On Celebrity they have an Alternative dining program (not the Speciality Restaurant ) that you can make a reservation for and eat there. Many people do this that just don’t want to even wear a coat & tie.
If you want to try your T shirt coat thing, I bet there would be no problem. I have a $1000 tux and would try it if my wife would let me just to see. I’m not sure what type of shirt you are talking about. I have a shirt that just has a pin that covers a top button and always wear that.
It seems to me that your dress is not going to be the problem. If I told my high school football coach “Screw it�, I would have received what some people call an attitude adjustment.
I think you are laughing at us that you have jerked our chain, but that’s OK as long as you don’t mean it.
Old February 3rd, 2006, 10:46 PM
Admiral

The original poster may or may not have cruised before , especially on Celebrity and maybe was just wanting to see how folks really dress.

The criuse lines in general , and especially a few ( Celebrity is one ) try to maintain a certain decorum in the dining rooms at night. They publish what they see as a reasonable request for dressing at dinner to maintain that decorum. For those who choose to go casual ( and there's nothing wrong with that ) they offer the buffet dinners and room service as a compromise to dressing for the dining room. It seems only reasonable that they ask ( A ) please dress according to the requests for the dining room or ( B ) if that's not convenient, dress casually and feel free to use the buffet or room service. Surely one would have to agree that this is as reasonable as they can be.

In our age of being overly casual it is refreshing to see that the cruise lines lay theses choises out so everyone can find a slot to fit in and enjoy their own particular syle and hopefully everyone has a good cruise.
Old February 4th, 2006, 09:50 AM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via Skype™ to scapel

[quote="Ron"]The original poster may or may not have cruised before , especially on Celebrity and maybe was just wanting to see how folks really dress.

The criuse lines in general , and especially a few ( Celebrity is one ) try to maintain a certain decorum in the dining rooms at night. They publish what they see as a reasonable request for dressing at dinner to maintain that decorum. For those who choose to go casual ( and there's nothing wrong with that ) they offer the buffet dinners and room service as a compromise to dressing for the dining room. It seems only reasonable that they ask ( A ) please dress according to the requests for the dining room or ( B ) if that's not convenient, dress casually and feel free to use the buffet or room service. Surely one would have to agree that this is as reasonable as they can be.

In our age of being overly casual it is refreshing to see that the cruise lines lay theses choises out so everyone can find a slot to fit in and enjoy their own particular syle and hopefully everyone has a good cruise.[/quote

Thank you Ron-
Remember that the Alternative dining (not the speciality dining) is held in buffett dining room but it is a sit down dinner with service. You get up and go to the salad bar. There are tablecloths on the tables and of course you have the wonderful view. We sometimes do this option when it is available. I'm not sure if it is available every night, but it requires a reservation and of course there is no extra charge as there is in the spciality dining room.
Old February 4th, 2006, 03:24 PM
Admiral

Boy oh boy. My spelling went astray in my post above. " Criuses "--
--" theses " --- " choises ".

Guess that happens sometimes when brilliance is at work.
Cheeezz---- I mean Geeeeezz.
Old April 14th, 2006, 06:02 PM
Beginner

My god!!! Is everyone that cruises Celebrity as worn and stuffy as these people? All this over a dress code??? Perhaps anyone under the age of 70 should cruise elsewhere. I thought I was going on vacation.....not a fashion show. Get a life!!!
Old April 14th, 2006, 06:40 PM
Admiral

Default Re: trying to cause trouble HIGHSEAS?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bububr
First, there is NO such thing as a formal T-shirt. What you are actually referring to is a NOVELTY t-shirt with a 'formal' or tuxedo print or screen on it.

Hope that clears it up,

Dave
Hi Dave,
You seem to know about this formal night thing. I bought 3 outfits for formal night. Because I'm short 5.1 none of the dresses are full length is that a problem. These dresses are cocktail length below the knee (NO MINIS). Please advise if I will look underdressed. I don't want you taking my picture as an example.
Thanks,
Sherry

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994