Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Celebrity
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old April 9th, 2006, 06:40 AM
Passenger

Default Ex-Mercury Crewmember will answer questions...

I recently disembarked Mercury after a fairly long contract. The way the crew handled the Noro outbreak was the best we could do.

However, the way the management in Miami handled it was not...

I'm willing to answer questions with *MY PERSONAL* opinion on the illness. In no way should my answers be construed as to represent any official position of Celebrity or RCL.

That being said, you will get the truth (as much as I can tell while remaining semi-anonymous.)
Sponsored Links
Old April 12th, 2006, 02:01 AM
Beginner

Hello, One of the professional reviewers had this to say, any truth to this, as our reservations are in aft stateroom on 9th deck for this May sail, should we try to move to another part of ship

"Mercury has a vibration problems, particularly noticeable in the aft end of the ship. I suggest you try to avoid staterooms on all floors located in this area. Otherwise, you may be abruptly awakened in the early morning when the ship arrives in port. "

thanks, and appreciate your honest answer
tandav
Old April 12th, 2006, 02:23 AM
Beginner

is the virus illnes still there on Mercury, how many passengers are getting affected ? we are planning to sail on Mercury in mid May

thanks
Old April 12th, 2006, 08:02 AM
Passenger

The illness seems to have subsided. After the 14 day contagion period, once the crew have become immune / quarantined it was about 7 days for it to disperse from them. According to the CDC they are at code yellow. They should have quarantined the ship the first cruise (3/7) but celeb was more interested in revenue.

Mid may sailings should be fine, especially to alaska. Some of the problems come from people eating bad food onshore (or drinking mexican h2o) and not washing their hands. Hand sanitizers don't kill norovirus, washing hands thoroughly does.

As far as vibration problems, deck 9 is pretty high up, you should be OK. It's when you are right over the bow or stern thrusters that you have issues. Deck 4-5-6 in the back it would be pretty loud.
Old April 13th, 2006, 11:09 AM
Passenger

The Mercury does have a vibration problem at the rear of the ship. I was on the Mercury two years ago and had a dining table at the center, rear of the dining room right in front of the rear windows. (next to the captains table). For dinner we always felt strong vibration as we ate. Our waiter said it is always like that. I will be on Mercury next week again and will check it out again.
Old April 14th, 2006, 02:29 AM
Passenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by FBlack
The Mercury does have a vibration problem at the rear of the ship. I was on the Mercury two years ago and had a dining table at the center, rear of the dining room right in front of the rear windows. (next to the captains table). For dinner we always felt strong vibration as we ate. Our waiter said it is always like that. I will be on Mercury next week again and will check it out again.
Yeah, the manhattan is decks 5+6. below that is the windlass space where the have the lines and such stored, and its basicaly a big open metal area where the vibrations are carried well. there are rubber insulators above deck 6+ that help, but on the lower dcks it's fairly loud.
Old April 14th, 2006, 04:44 AM
Admiral

Quote:
The Mercury does have a vibration problem at the rear of the ship. I was on the Mercury two years ago and had a dining table at the center, rear of the dining room right in front of the rear windows. (next to the captains table). For dinner we always felt strong vibration as we ate. Our waiter said it is always like that.
We were on the Mercury in Sept. and noticed some vibrations. In the dining area, our table was near the windows (nice view) but we did notice some strong vibrations, but not all the time. We were on the upper rear dining level...so maybe we didn't notice them as much as if we had been next to the captain's table.
Old April 14th, 2006, 11:41 AM
Familiar Face

The "C" class ships (Mercury, Galaxy, Century) all have noticable vibration when the ship(s) when entering or leaving certain ports, due to the shallow water. Having sailing all three, this was the only time I noticed the condition, especially in the dining room(s), which are all located far aft part of the ship.

Bob
Old April 17th, 2006, 07:13 PM
Passenger

Default NOROVIRUS

Thankyou reddawnman for reiterating the point iv'e made many times on this site, The Mercury should of been quarantined after the first outbreak ( my cruise ) instead Celebrity put the almighty dollar first !! Definately resulting in " lost " future passengers!
Old April 18th, 2006, 11:19 AM
Beginner

Hi RedDawnMan!

We are going to Alaska from May 8-May 19 on the Mercury. Our cabin is a forward sky suite on the penthouse deck. Any suggestions or tips on how to get an inside invitation to some of the special parties or the captain's table? Ha!

We're confident the noro-virus will be well under control by the time we board. It's obvious it was a crisis for not only the passengers, but the crew & the management. Hopefully, the crew will have had a bit of rest before we begin our Alaskan adventure.

Thanks for any insight you care to share. Where are the best tables in the dining room? We are 2nd sitting and as suite guests, can request a location in the dining room?

--Jean & Bob, Racine, Wisconsin
Old April 19th, 2006, 11:15 PM
Passenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvthis
Hi RedDawnMan!

We are going to Alaska from May 8-May 19 on the Mercury. Our cabin is a forward sky suite on the penthouse deck. Any suggestions or tips on how to get an inside invitation to some of the special parties or the captain's table? Ha!

We're confident the noro-virus will be well under control by the time we board. It's obvious it was a crisis for not only the passengers, but the crew & the management. Hopefully, the crew will have had a bit of rest before we begin our Alaskan adventure.

Thanks for any insight you care to share. Where are the best tables in the dining room? We are 2nd sitting and as suite guests, can request a location in the dining room?

--Jean & Bob, Racine, Wisconsin
I hope that the crew will be rested, but it all depends on how silly the offiecers and management get about cleaning, etc.

For the restaurant, really, most all tables are the same, except if you like to view out the aft end of the ship, in which case you should try to get a table on deck 6 aft with the better view. I personally liked to eat on deck 6 (when we were permitted the privelege...) because the view is a bit better and it was easier to get back to work on time.

As far as captains table inquiries, talk to the captains club hostess if you are a captains club member and it is usually not a problem. if you have a sky suite, even easier as they tend to treat you folks on the upper decks better than the riffraff down below :-)

I hope you have a good cruise. Alaska is nice.
Old April 20th, 2006, 08:48 AM
Beginner

Thanks Reddawnman!

I've printed off your suggestion to remind me where to make seating request & who to look for regarding the Captain's Table. I appreciate your insight.

Hey...I have heard it is best to connect up with our butler right away and let him know any special requests we might have and get to know him a bit. Has your experience proven that out? Some of the posts I have read give nightmare stories about poor butlers and lack of response to their needs. I'm just tickled to have a butler and really would like to get to know him a bit and trust his experience to help make our vacation to Alaska a memorable one. Any hints on how to make a good first impression with the butler?

Thanks again! We're getting pretty excited about our May 8-May 19 cruise on Mercury to Alaska.

--Jean & BoB
Old April 22nd, 2006, 03:10 AM
Beginner

Reddawnman (like your name)
How are the inside cabins on the Sky deck?
Are you going to a new ship?
thanks for your help
Harry
Old April 23rd, 2006, 06:02 AM
Passenger

luvthis:

Please be nice to the personal assistants / butlers / stewards. They have probably the hardest jobs on the ship (next to the people working on Deck 1 &0 - laundry, plumbers, dishwashers, etc). Mke it as easy as possible for them and write down a list of standing requests and give it to them on the first couple days, along with a personal conversation about where they are from and how long they have been on the ship, etc. Treat them as equals, because lord knows on the ship there is kind of a de-facto segregation based on work schedules and departments. People in housekeeping work 90 hour weeks before they qualify for overtime and per union regulations can work up to 13 hour days before a required sleep break. That doesnt happen often, but i have seen timecards with 80+ hours on a week. Get to know them and be a nice person and they will find a way to make things even more special for you.

The assistants are awesome and most all are some of the nicest people you'll meet. I'm sure they will make your cruise a memorable one. Again, get to know them and they will get to know you very well.

harryA:

I can't say I know what they look like. In my position there was no reason for me to be in the cabins on the sky deck unless I was doing something contrary to company policy, which *cough* never happened. you can look on celebrity's website they have deck and room plans for all the suites. as i remember, from the deck plans on the wall, rooms 1047 and 1044 (i think..) are the largest on the ship. All the inside sky deck cabins are the same size according to the ships blueprints.

hope that helps. happy cruising, and don't spend too much on booze. the reason for the seapass cards is so you don't keep rack of your spending! in mexico, H2O bottle - H2O + Clear Beverage of Choice is the best way to go :-)
Old April 23rd, 2006, 09:31 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Reddawnman...

I am a member of this board as well as CruiseCritic. We are asking questions about the March 17th Cruise and need your help if you can.

Thanks...

Bububr Aka Dave
Celebrity Mercury - Alaska 09/08/06
Celebrity Century - Freeport 01/04/07
RCL Monarch OTS - Ensenada 01/11/07
Celebrity Zenith - W. Caribbean 03/23/07
Upcoming cruises:
Azamara Quest - CocoCay 10/24/07
Celebrity Century - W. Caribbean 01/03/08
Celebrity Galaxy - Mediterannean 06/09/08
Celebrity Millenium - PNW 09/19/08
Old April 23rd, 2006, 11:51 PM
Admiral

There is a vibration problem on all the C class ships that last five or ten minutes when pulling in and out of port. There are however some great cabins in the rear of the ship. I refer to the Family cabins which can sleep up to five. I would not eliminate these cabins because of this vibration problems.
Old April 24th, 2006, 07:23 PM
Beginner

Thanks for being willing to answer our questions about Mercury. We were on the 3/17 sailing. The ship had just returned from its initial big ourbreak of noro-virus. We asked numbers of people what the reason for the intense cleaning was and never got the truth. It wasn't until we'd returned that a friend showed me a San Diego paper article on the 200 sick of the 3/6 group. Can you tell us if there were specific instructions as to what to reply to such questions? The Captain's daily words were not at all specific, altho I thought more open once the CDC folks came aboard. Also, what was your job on the ship? I would agree that the personel on the ship were incredibly hardworking thru the ordeal. We felt so badly to see them cleaning hours on end. I hope more people thanked them for their efforts than complained about the situation. The manner in which this was handled was not their choice.
Nan
Old April 24th, 2006, 08:06 PM
Beginner

Thank you so much for your frank and truthful answers. I was on the 3/27 cruise and while I hate that we had the virus, my beef is with the handling of it.

I think that X consistently drops the ball when there is a crisis. They hide and don't tell passengers the truth, they lie or at the very least stretch the truth, they ignore any dissension until it is of the dimension that they are afraid passengers will band together for action and then they throw insulting amounts of money around as if our displeasure or pain could be bought off. The Executives fail to acknowledge any form of communication that is not fawning over the X experience. You can't even get a return receipt for a letter or email. Total head in the sand.

My question to you is this. Do you think the company is in 'good' hands with the current execs. It seems to me that when Rick Sasso was around there was more accountability. Then when Jack Williams came along, I thought things were not as good, but he still had a the 'buck stops here'
mentality. Now with Hanrahan, I am seeing a mouth piece with nothing behind it. At one time Richard Fain was a force there but I wonder if his role is diminishing?

I was asked by an exec what would you have done if you were Hanrahan.
My reply was that if I had a situation such as the M with thousands of people affected, I would have been on the first plane out to join the ship and see things for myself. If it was impossible for me to go, I would have sent an exec who was my right hand person to be my eyes and ears. Instead they sent junior customer service reps with no authority to do anything, Their role was strictly to take notes, send in the data, and as Roxanne told me, the higher ups will make a decision in 4 to 6 weeks! How absurd! We were on the ship, living this nightmare! We wanted answers and solutions then!

I, too, thought the ship should have been quarantined even if the almighty dollar fell for a cruise or two.

Your thoughts please.
Old April 24th, 2006, 08:49 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Tuggers, Nan....

Great to see you guys finally got over here....Looks like they deleted the thread on the 'other' site to detract from people checking out the info...the link.

I think it might have been my fault for not that discreet. Sorry.

Dave
Celebrity Mercury - Alaska 09/08/06
Celebrity Century - Freeport 01/04/07
RCL Monarch OTS - Ensenada 01/11/07
Celebrity Zenith - W. Caribbean 03/23/07
Upcoming cruises:
Azamara Quest - CocoCay 10/24/07
Celebrity Century - W. Caribbean 01/03/08
Celebrity Galaxy - Mediterannean 06/09/08
Celebrity Millenium - PNW 09/19/08
Old April 26th, 2006, 08:10 PM
Beginner

It's interesting to be able to have firsthand information. Very insightful.
Old April 27th, 2006, 10:28 AM
Familiar Face

We had a FV cabin on Century on deck 8 and never noticed any vibration whatsoever. On Mercury, we happened to be in the Spa pool area when we were pulling away from the dock and thought the ship was breaking apart the vibrations were so bad. The sliding glass doors were banging in their frames so hard I thought they would break. That said, we never after that felt any vibrations in our cabin which was mid-ship or at dinner in the restaurant. We were on the deck more than once pulling away from the docks in Alaska and never felt those severe vibrations again.
Old April 28th, 2006, 12:10 PM
Beginner

Reddawnman,

I will make sure to be nice to the stewards, assistants, and butler. Bob & I are just "worker bees" not "big wigs", and truly appreciate what it must take to keep multiple cabins clean, passengers happy, AND management off their backs.

In 2001 we were on one of the 1st Infinity cruises from Hawaii back to Ensenada, Mexico. Due to many unexpected circumstances, we ended up in a sky suite with a butler from India named Richard. His wife was back in his homeland soon to have a baby, and he was outstanding at his job. He was also so very nice and kind and helpful. It was a joy to get to know him. We had no idea what to ask Richard to do for us. He patiently but thoroughly informed us of things he could do to make our cruise memorable. It took many days before we figured it out, but by the end of our cruise, we understood what a special "perk" it was to have a butler. I smile remembering his kind face and soft spoken words. I sure hope we meet another special butler to get to know and share our vacation with.

Thanks for your insight, Reddawnman! We leave on May 8th.

--Jean & Bob
Old May 1st, 2006, 10:15 PM
Passenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuggers
Thank you so much for your frank and truthful answers. I was on the 3/27 cruise and while I hate that we had the virus, my beef is with the handling of it.

I think that X consistently drops the ball when there is a crisis. They hide and don't tell passengers the truth, they lie or at the very least stretch the truth, they ignore any dissension until it is of the dimension that they are afraid passengers will band together for action and then they throw insulting amounts of money around as if our displeasure or pain could be bought off. The Executives fail to acknowledge any form of communication that is not fawning over the X experience. You can't even get a return receipt for a letter or email. Total head in the sand.

My question to you is this. Do you think the company is in 'good' hands with the current execs. It seems to me that when Rick Sasso was around there was more accountability. Then when Jack Williams came along, I thought things were not as good, but he still had a the 'buck stops here'
mentality. Now with Hanrahan, I am seeing a mouth piece with nothing behind it. At one time Richard Fain was a force there but I wonder if his role is diminishing?

I was asked by an exec what would you have done if you were Hanrahan.
My reply was that if I had a situation such as the M with thousands of people affected, I would have been on the first plane out to join the ship and see things for myself. If it was impossible for me to go, I would have sent an exec who was my right hand person to be my eyes and ears. Instead they sent junior customer service reps with no authority to do anything, Their role was strictly to take notes, send in the data, and as Roxanne told me, the higher ups will make a decision in 4 to 6 weeks! How absurd! We were on the ship, living this nightmare! We wanted answers and solutions then!

I, too, thought the ship should have been quarantined even if the almighty dollar fell for a cruise or two.

Your thoughts please.
When you sign off the ship, they give you a questionaire about your thoughts on the management of the ship. Never in my years have I seen so many "strongly disagree" marks ticked. Everyone on the ship knows that the management has been going down the tubes, and there is not much to do. If you think about it, RCL's best interest is to let celebrity die, then buy the ships for RCL and write off the tax loss. In the meantime, make as much money as possible.

Yes, the execs are out of touch with the reality of life on the ship, but you can say that about just about every large organization which must delegate authority. However, I agree that more than lip service should have been done faster. Celebrity flew out a doctor who arrived on the ship in cabo and supervised the cleaning, but even then, at the managers meeting people were making points about different sources of contamination that corporate doctrine didn't even think to address (Salt and pepper shakers? The hand sanitizers themselves? laundry water? We're still doing pool activities?).

The other thing you need to remember is that at the same time, the Millenium Tour Bus thing and the Princess Ship fire were going on. The execs had their hands full doing that, and trying to spin it the coorect way. I would, however, agree that celeb needs to do some major thinking about who has authority to do things for customers.
Old May 2nd, 2006, 01:37 PM
Cruise Maniac

Quote:
We ate at that same table last year (or at least one of the ones that was in the same vicinity as the Captain's table). There is a vibration, but I would not classify it as a "problem". It's what I would classify as normal. You can't expect to be in the vicinity of the engines and not feel a thing.
Old May 2nd, 2006, 07:45 PM
Admiral

Hi reddawnman,

Quote:
If you think about it, RCL's best interest is to let celebrity die, then buy the ships for RCL and write off the tax loss.
While we'll probably never cruise Celebrity, it's just not our style, I'd hate to see this option "disappear" from cruising. So many people seem to love the "upscale" feel of Celebrity.

But I guess it all comes down to the "bottom line".

"A truly happy person is one who can enjoy the scenery on a detour."

Carnival Inspiration 2002 Carnival Elation 2004
Grand Princess 2004 NCL Sun 2005
Sun Princess 2006 NCL Dream 2007
Caribbean Princess 2007 NCL Dawn 2008
Island Princess 2008 Island Princess 2009
Golden Princess 2009 Carnival Conquest 2010
Grand Princess 2010 Island Princess 2011
Grand Princess 2011 Carnival Magic 2012
Carnival Dream 2012 Island Princess 2013
Carnival Magic 2013 Carnival Legend 2014
Sea Princess 2014
Old May 3rd, 2006, 09:16 AM
Passenger

Celebrity has ordered new ships and will exists in the future. Royal Caribbean needs a premium line to make more money per guest for nearly the same itinerary and/of ships. It will never turns into one cruiseline.
Old May 3rd, 2006, 06:48 PM
Admiral

reddawnman,

If you think about it, RCL's best interest is to let celebrity die, then buy the ships for RCL and write off the tax loss.

As a stockholder in the company, I don't see that as the company's best interest at all.

>> 1. As a "premium" cruise line, Celebrity Cruises commands signficiantly higher fares than Royal Caribbean International.

>> 2. Overall, Celebrity Cruies attracts wealthier passengers than Royal Caribbean International, many of whom sepend a LOT more moeny aboard the vessel.

In short, Celebrity Cruises is a cash cow for the company. It does not make sense to dissolve it.

BTW, Celebrity Cruises now has two new ships on order to enter service in 2008 and 2009, resepctively to be named Solstice and Equinox. These ships of 110,000 GRT will carry 2850 passengers -- the largest Celebrity vessels to date. This represents about a 38% growth in the line's total capacity. You don't buy new ships if you intend to let the line wither.

Norm.
Old May 4th, 2006, 05:06 AM
Passenger

@Rev22:17
That is exactly the same way how I think about Celebrity and Royal Caribbean.
Old May 4th, 2006, 03:11 PM
Admiral

There is a difference between Celebrity and RCCI. I don't think blending them into ONE will work, and I don't think this is news to the corporate office either. It's nice to have two lines that can appeal to the different needs of cruisers. It's a mistake to think in the 'One size fits all' box.

Not everyone is excited about the new mega ships. I count myself among those who don't want to cruise on a floating mall....on ships so big they can't even pull into a port, but you have to be tendered. But again that's whats nice about having varity. There's something for everybody!
Old May 7th, 2006, 09:37 PM
Beginner

We are excited to go on our first Alaskan cruise aboard Mercury later in May. Any tips on luggage. Since there are 3 formal nights the ladies need to carry lots of stuff, and I wonder if we will be able to fit 3 mid -size bags ( 25inch) , and small carry ons in our cabin which is a cabin with sitting area for 3 on 9th deck ( ocean view) . Our Celebrity guidelines suggested getting a fresh formal outfit for all 7 evenings so that can be plenty of luggage for a couple with a teenager.

We are also trying to book shore excursions in advance, and wonder how weather will be for fly-fishing, hiking etc in late May ? Is it possible to get these excurions at last minute when we arrive at the port and check out the weather .
Thank you fellow Mercury passengers and crew memebers for any suggestions. I will be sure to take my Nikon