Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Celebrity
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 12th, 2006, 01:48 PM
Beginner

Default Celebrity Summit - Christmas / New Year's 2005 cruise

This was our absolute worse cruise or vacation of any kind, ever. Long lines to embarak, poor tendering disembarking in Hawaii, mediocre food, the ship is obviously starting to go to pot. But our number 1 complaint: the 500 or 600 children on board for this cruise and the way they were allowed to run wild. Three separate letters to Celebrity got the net rsponse of " parents have to be responsible for their children, we can't be". But Summit staff can serve minors as young as 13 alcohol at New Year's - excessive amounts. Deck chairs tossed overbaord, fights, spitting in the elevators, running like packs of unleased animals. Our celebratory cruise and extended California vacation was ruined thanked to Celebrity. They could have warned us in advance of the number of children but they didn't. They just took our money, left us on our own and forgot about any responsibility they had to their passengers. Like so many others we have spoken with, not just Summit and not just Celebrity but Royal caribbean, the owners, have been deleted from our lexicon. We recommended a win-win solution to Celebrity and RC but they declined. They could have had us back for future cruises - and there will be future cruises - by offering a 20% credit against a future cruise. Nada. Nothing. Goodbye Celebrity. Goodbye Royal Caribbean. Hello Princess Cruises or Crystal. When I want to cruise with a lot of kids I'll go with Disney.
Sponsored Links
Old July 12th, 2006, 07:11 PM
Admiral

Understand your anger. The number of kids both on your cruise and the Infinity cruise during the same period were well reported. On the Infinity, though, they did take the extra step of putting some families ashore due to their kids' behaviour.

"The test of a first rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in the mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function."

F Scott Fitzgerald

Seven Seas Voyager (30nts) - Dubai - Cape Town - Nov 14
Old July 13th, 2006, 07:43 AM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc
Understand your anger. The number of kids both on your cruise and the Infinity cruise during the same period were well reported. On the Infinity, though, they did take the extra step of putting some families ashore due to their kids' behaviour.
Thanks Marc. When you said the number of children was "well reported" do you mean before, during or after the cruise? We kept checking the Celebrity website right up until cruise week and saw no mention of the extraordinary number of youneger passenegers. Had we known and been given the opportunity we would have made alternate arrangements or delayed a couple of weeks.
Daniel
Old July 14th, 2006, 06:57 PM
First Mate

Sorry about what you experienced. We did the Summit to Hawaii RT in March and had no children problems although the Mauai re-boarding was terrible--several hrs in hot sun on line. I think they eliminated that stop after that trip--it was just so bad. The ship had aged since our last time aboard but really no complaints-- the weather could have been better but we were lucky not to hit the terrible rains --although we missed waimea canyon due to raod being washed away.....the service on board was excellent in our regular balcony cabnin & we enjoyed ourselves.
Sad to hear the children running amuck also happens on celeb--guess it's a sign of the times of por parental control & no one telling them to do their job,, We learned our lesson about holidays on an Easter trip 2 yrs ago on Brilliance. It was RT Panama canal & there were many very large familiies apparently non-Eng speaking with children running wild...chocolate into the art auction, damage, monopolizing evening entertainment venues... it was bad---now we never bnook any holiday weeks--even worse than spring break whihc has a wider array of ages! Not sure if it will be bettr on another line--after all you picked the week just as we did! LIve & learn---
Old July 15th, 2006, 12:03 AM
Admiral

Everybody,

Apparently Paul construed my questions as to whether the poster might have been an amployee of a compeitor or a disgruntled former employee of Celebrity in a now deleted post as a "personal attack" even though I did not intend them as such. I have also received a personal e-mail from Daniel, assuring me that he has no such motives.

In the interest of completeness of the thread, here is the essence of the deleted post of 12 July 2006 with the offending paragraph removed.

"danielt12,

This was our absolute worse cruise or vacation of any kind, ever. Long lines to embarak, poor tendering disembarking in Hawaii, mediocre food, the ship is obviously starting to go to pot. But our number 1 complaint: the 500 or 600 children on board for this cruise and the way they were allowed to run wild. Three separate letters to Celebrity got the net rsponse of " parents have to be responsible for their children, we can't be". But Summit staff can serve minors as young as 13 alcohol at New Year's - excessive amounts. Deck chairs tossed overbaord, fights, spitting in the elevators, running like packs of unleased animals. Our celebratory cruise and extended California vacation was ruined thanked to Celebrity. They could have warned us in advance of the number of children but they didn't. They just took our money, left us on our own and forgot about any responsibility they had to their passengers. Like so many others we have spoken with, not just Summit and not just Celebrit!
y but Royal caribbean, the owners, have been deleted from our lexicon. We recommended a win-win solution to Celebrity and RC but they declined. They could have had us back for future cruises - and there will be future cruises - by offering a 20% credit against a future cruise. Nada. Nothing. Goodbye Celebrity. Goodbye Royal Caribbean. Hello Princess Cruises or Crystal. When I want to cruise with a lot of kids I'll go with Disney.

Hmmm....

I notice your CruiseMates status:

This post is wholly consistent with a pattern that we see too often.

>> New member (joined today)

>> With few posts (only one)

>> Who went on a cruise that was supposedly the worst imaginable.

We get so many "drive-by" posts of this character that we no longer believe them."

In Daniel's personal message, he also explained that he had enrolled earlier but that he had to re-enroll due to some sort of technical difficulty. I'll give him the benefit of the doubt on that point.

That said, there are still a couple very troubling issues.

>> 1. I don't understand why somebody is posting only this week when the supposed problem occurred many months ago.

>> 2. The fact that there were a lot of children on a holiday cruise is quite normal because that's when families with children of school age are free to travel, and this pattern is very well known in the industry. Thus, Daniel's assertion that there was an unusual pattern of bookings seems to reflect inappropriate expectations rather than reality.

>> 3. It is neither usual nor customary in the industry to notify passengers if a cruise does have an unusual pattern of bookings.

>> 4. Daniel's assertion that Celebrity's staff would serve alcohol to 13-year-olds or that the security staff would ignore the sorts of counduct that he described ("Deck chairs tossed overbaord, fights, spitting in the elevators, running like packs of unleased animals...") is really beyond the bounds of credibility. As an "Elite" member of the Captain's Club, I have been around the line enough to know that the staff run a pretty tight ship.

Overall, this whole story is very suspicious.

Norm.
Old July 15th, 2006, 08:19 PM
Passenger

I was on the exact same cruise, the December 18th Voyage of the Summit doing a 15 night Hawaiian Island Cruise from Los Angeles. I can give credit to some of his claims but some of them are just absurd. There were some problems on that voyage but that was to be expected because the ship was sold out for a holiday cruise and the weather during the crossing of the Pacific was not the best. It was also the first time that the ship was doing the Hawaiian cruise for the season so there were some kinks that needed to be fixed. It is true that in the ports of call where we had to be tendered there were long lines to get back onto the ship that seemed to never end. In Maui the ship sailed two hours late because of the time it took to get all of the passengers back on the ship.

Also there were a lot of children that were on the voyage of the ship but comparatively to other holiday voyages it was not much. Every year for the past five years we have done holidays cruises on different Celebrity ships and on this cruise in my opinion had the most number of senior citizens. The ship was not selling out so during the last three months they ran some serious senior promotions to fill the ship.

Regarding the children on the cruise being rude and disruptive I did not see much of that. Kids are kids and you cannot do anything about that. Security was out and in full force during the cruise. I remember on a number of occasions they told kids and teens to leave the Aqua Spa area because they were not 18. I must agree that on New Year’s Eve there was Champagne everywhere. But the servers were not giving it to kids. The parents were. I heard about a fight on New Years Eve but it was taken care of by security. In fact that fight was between people in their late 20’s and early 30’s, so definitely not kids.

I can understand if you complained to Celebrity about the long lines to get on the ship and the disaster at disembarkation but some of the other claims are frivolous. At disembarkation we were stuck on the ship for an extra four hours because of a storm in Los Angeles and the port could not get the gangway working. Then the port had put everyone’s luggage out in the rain and it was soaking wet. We called Celebrity Captains Club Office regarding that and they got in contact with the Port of Los Angeles. We received a couple months later an apology letter from Celebrity and the Port. In addition we received $2000 for damages.

I love Celebrity and the way they do business. I will continue to sail with them and have booked a holiday cruise on Mercury doing the Panama Canal over Christmas and New Years.
Old July 25th, 2006, 09:00 PM
Passenger

Default I was also on this cruise...

I traveled with my senior parents (73 & 75) and my sister who has taught EH/SLD 4th and 5th graders for 25 years. I say that to say this....there were limited issues with kids or we would have not liked it either. We saw none "running wild" or whatever was the post.

This was my 13th cruise and 3rd on X. The food was good to great as usual (Hit Normandie 3 times this cruise. Yes!).

The service was impeccable and friendly like it was on our other X cruises.

The seas were rough like the previous poster said. I also agree, there were a few more glitches than we had on a Summit 10 nighter in the caribbean 3 years ago.

The biggest shock on board......John Davidson's hair is all GREY!!!! He still put on a great show and was very nice to my family the next day at a Q&A session.

One last note...I handled escalated problems between pax and the CLs for 2 years for a large cruise only agency. I found that Celebrity (and RCCL) was a line that if there was a real problem, they compensated adequately.

Case in point...our cruise was fantastic but due to record bad weather as we were debarking in LA there was quite a lot of chaos. It was cold, rainy and VERY windy. Could Celebrity help this? No. My sister, the teacher, though is a quadreplegic and the big X had no accessible transportation for us. By the time it was all worked out, we had missed our flight. It was Jan 2 and all flights were booked. It took us 16 hours to get back to Jax, Fl. This with my elderly parents and my handicapped sister. It was not fun. BUT I wrote X a letter explaining what we went through and they sent us $600pp discount certificates for our next cruise. To reiterate, if there is a real problem, X comes through.

As I have come to believe....the worst thing you can do for someone who finds fault where there is none, is to let them just live there life. They will be miserable.

One that note....Happy Cruisin'!!

=D=
7/29/99 Sun Princess
6/16/00 Oceanic
11/2/00 Sovereign/Seas
12/17/00 C Victory
4/27/01 C Spirit
6/7/01 Jubilee
09/26/02 Imagination
3/14/03 Summit
11/3/03 Century
12/18/05 Summit