Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Celebrity
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old August 7th, 2006, 11:43 PM
First Mate

Good evening, Norm
Thanks for your comments. As usual, you add a solid dose of well informed insights.

I tend to agree with you, on 2nd toughts, that X would have not jeopardized its litigation by becoming pro-active in the face of a clearly defined pattern....from winter 2005. I wonder if their legal department might have actually presented the option to the operating guys....and faced a bit of '' reluctance''.

The damage done, particularly in the past year, runs deep into the goodwill department.....and cannot be quantified .

Oh well...let's hope things get straightened out eventually.
Yes, interesting speculation as to how much RCI will get from RollsRoyce on that action....

Cheers
Claude G

Nest up: CENTURY June'08....B2B Norwegian Fjords/Artic/NorthCape & Scandinavia/Russia

TIME TO BOARD YET ??
CLAUDE G
Old August 8th, 2006, 08:14 AM
Admiral

sealegs,

The damage done, particularly in the past year, runs deep into the goodwill department.....and cannot be quantified .

I don't understand what you mean by this. When the bearing problems have surfaced, Ceelbrity has consistently been "right there" with decent compensation for the affected passengers. I was not exactly upset when the line gave me a full refund plus a free cruise upon cancellatoin of my original cruise to Alaska last year. I used the free cruise to take the same itinerary six weeks later and came out a more than a grand ahead, after paying the sirline's change fee, on the deal.

Norm.
Old August 8th, 2006, 11:07 PM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev22:17
sealegs,

I don't understand what you mean by this. When the bearing problems have surfaced, Ceelbrity has consistently been "right there" with decent compensation for the affected passengers. I was not exactly upset when the line gave me a full refund plus a free cruise upon cancellatoin of my original cruise to Alaska last year. I used the free cruise to take the same itinerary six weeks later and came out a more than a grand ahead, after paying the sirline's change fee, on the deal.

Norm.
Norm, that comment , again perhaps not worded well enough, was in line with your suggestion that perhaps the line might have considered regular ''pod'' drydock from about 2005 ( in the mind of the respondents' legal team) given the pattern already established....thus avoiding the voluminous expenses and massive disruption that have occured since.....''TO SAY NOTHING OF THE GOOD WILL DAMAGE inflicted since'' ( my toughts )...That does not infer X has dealt with the ''pods''incidents unfairly or incorrectly, but merely point out that repetitive malfunctions ( and ensueing consequences )of a specific component do take a toll on their faithful following in the long run, no matter how well X tries to handle the morass.
Again, I have full sympathy for what X is going thru with all this. I agree with you: they're doing their very best...

Cheers

Claude

Nest up: CENTURY June'08....B2B Norwegian Fjords/Artic/NorthCape & Scandinavia/Russia

TIME TO BOARD YET ??
CLAUDE G
Old August 9th, 2006, 08:03 AM
Cruise Maniac

How about talking about what the original post was instead of all the technical stuff !!!!
Old August 9th, 2006, 08:12 AM
Admiral

Claude,

Norm, that comment , again perhaps not worded well enough, was in line with your suggestion that perhaps the line might have considered regular ''pod'' drydock from about 2005 ( in the mind of the respondents' legal team) given the pattern already established....thus avoiding the voluminous expenses and massive disruption that have occured since.....

I'm can't agree with your use of the term "massive disruption" in reference to a situation that has caused cancellation of about one cruise per ship per year to replace bearings that wore out prematurely. While it's an inconvenience to the two percent or so of each ship's annual passengers who have been on the affected cruises, it really is not much of a disruption at all in the big picture.

The company obviously expects to recover the expenses incurred as a result of the problem through its lawsuit against the pod manufacturer, but it's turning a nice profit even without recovery of those expenses and in spite of current fuel prices. The financial aspect simply is not a problem and the settlement of the lawsuit probably will pay for some new ships.

... but merely point out that repetitive malfunctions ( and ensueing consequences )of a specific component do take a toll on their faithful following in the long run, no matter how well X tries to handle the morass.

I guess i don't know anybody who has stopped cruising with Celebrity as a result of one of these incidents. Do you?

In fact, some of us wouldn't mind receiving another free cruise....

The malfunctions in the propulsion pods on the ships of the Millennium Class are not exactly serious incidents. They have not caused fires, flooding, complete loss of propulsion, or any other casualties that put either a ship or anybody in any danger whatsoever. The worst consequence is that a ship has arrived in port a couple hours later than scheduled when the problem arose.

Norm.
Old August 9th, 2006, 09:06 AM
Cruise Maniac

How about Norm & Claude going into dry dock before they bore us to death !!!!
Old August 9th, 2006, 05:23 PM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by rburke
How about Norm & Claude going into dry dock before they bore us to death !!!!
8) Good afternoon,

I don't know about Norm....but the parts needed for my next drydock are not delivered to the yard yet....can it hold off for a little while ???
Sorry you feel threatened with lethal boredom; I didn't mean to inflict that upon anybody.
I'll go back to port now.

Cheers
Claude G

TIME TO BOARD YET ??
CLAUDE G
Old August 9th, 2006, 08:07 PM
Admiral

Hi rburke,

Quote:
Originally Posted by rburke
How about talking about what the original post was instead of all the technical stuff !!!!
Actually, they are talking about the original post! It's just that 99% of us don't understand "engineer" talk !

I've seen lots of posts go much farther OT (off topic) than this one !

"A truly happy person is one who can enjoy the scenery on a detour."

Carnival Inspiration 2002 Carnival Elation 2004
Grand Princess 2004 NCL Sun 2005
Sun Princess 2006 NCL Dream 2007
Caribbean Princess 2007 NCL Dawn 2008
Island Princess 2008 Island Princess 2009
Golden Princess 2009 Carnival Conquest 2010
Grand Princess 2010 Island Princess 2011
Grand Princess 2011 Carnival Magic 2012
Carnival Dream 2012 Island Princess 2013
Carnival Magic 2013 Carnival Legend 2014
Sea Princess 2014
Old August 12th, 2006, 12:08 AM
Admiral

I guess if I'd been offered a free cruise or even one for 50%, I'd think differently BUT we weren't. We were offered a $200 COB per cabin or $400 for suites IF we took one of a very FEW choices of Caribbean cruises.

I'm still waiting to get my deposit back ... and yes, it most definitely affects my feelings for future cruising on Celebrity.

It seems to me that X should have scheduled all these drydocks for pod fixing BEFORE they posted itineraries on the ships and had people booking on them. The Connie drydock situation affects 3 cruises. They've known for a very long time that these pods have to be fixed.

I cruise the Emerald Princess, Eastern Caribbean on April 16, 2012
Old August 12th, 2006, 11:56 AM
Admiral

I agree with Cruznut 100% that X did not plan ahead to correct problems they knew existed. As Elite CC members, we were walking X advertisers. But this incident has clearly left us questioning their desire to keep loyal, repeating customers.

We did receive our deposit back, but have received no apology or offered any credits for future cruises. We are truly disappointed.......

P.S. We will still cruise......but it may not be on X.
Sensation 4/2002
Infinity 4/2003
Summit 4/2004+4/2005
Carnival Liberty New Year's Eve 2007
Liberty of the Seas 5/2008+11/2009
Solstice 4/2009
Oasis 4/2010+4/13/2013
Allure 1/16/ 2011
Equinox 4/11/2011
Independence of the Seas 12/29/2013 Top-notch!
Old August 18th, 2006, 08:23 AM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via Skype™ to scapel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manuel
I agree with Cruznut 100% that X did not plan ahead to correct problems they knew existed. As Elite CC members, we were walking X advertisers. But this incident has clearly left us questioning their desire to keep loyal, repeating customers.

We did receive our deposit back, but have received no apology or offered any credits for future cruises. We are truly disappointed.......

P.S. We will still cruise......but it may not be on X.
Manuel,
I think if Celebrity cancelled a cruise that far ahead of time you would have sufficient time to get another one. I think they should give you an explanation as to why they cancelled it. It could be nothing more than a marketing thing or it might be a reschedulling of the entire Constellation cruise intinerary. Some compensation like a $200 credit on another Celebrity Cruise would be appropriate.
I had a Hawaiian cruise cancelled two days before we were to depart on the Infinity. My frined in England was getting ready to go to the airport when he found out and called me. Was I surprised. The Infinity had develped pod problems and had to go into dry dock in San Francisco.
We went to Hawaii anyhow and had a wonderful 10 day land trip using the same flights with a mild adjustment we were able to make and were lucky to get quarters in Maui and Honolulu. I had only two days to make the arrangements for my friends and myself since he was in the air on the way over to San Diego. I still use Celebrity and like their product, but think they need some intraoffice communication problem corrections.
My TA didn't even know the cruise was cancelled. I told her. Celebrity made everything good.
Old August 18th, 2006, 06:34 PM
Admiral

CruzNut,

I guess if I'd been offered a free cruise or even one for 50%, I'd think differently BUT we weren't. We were offered a $200 COB per cabin or $400 for suites IF we took one of a very FEW choices of Caribbean cruises.

When a cruise is cancelled over eight months in advance, must assuredly you have plenty of time to make different arrangements. The compensation seems pretty reasonable under the circumstances.

It seems to me that X should have scheduled all these drydocks for pod fixing BEFORE they posted itineraries on the ships and had people booking on them. The Connie drydock situation affects 3 cruises. They've known for a very long time that these pods have to be fixed.

Please get your facts straight.

1. They do schedule yard visits for routine maintenance well in advance. This yard visit, however, is NOT for routine maintenance. It also is NOT for emergency repairs.

2. The ship may or may not be going into drydock. We don't know.

3. This yard visit also has nothing whatsoever to do with the propulsion pods.

Rather, the company is trying to do its part to help ease the present energy "crunch" by installing more efficent electrical generators, powered by diesel engines, on its gas turbine ships. Unfortunately, that's not exactly a trivial process. Rather, it requires installation of new fuel lines, intake and exhaust ducts, a supply of cooling water, etc., for the new engines. They also probably will have to cut holes in the hull to rig in the new generators, then plug the holes, and they may have to remove and restore segments of other piping and electrical wiring as apart of this process. It's quite impressive to complete such a process on a ship of this size in only a few weeks.

I'm still waiting to get my deposit back ... and yes, it most definitely affects my feelings for future cruising on Celebrity.

I'm sorry that you are reacting in this way. The shipboard credit would be as good as cash in your pocket.

Norm.
Old August 19th, 2006, 12:23 AM
Admiral

Norm why do you constantly criticize/analyze people's posts? You're a stock holder - fine. I'm a traveler and stand by what I wrote (except it's an energy thing instead of pods). I still think they could have scheduled it way ahead and not have people book 3 cruises that they weren't going to run.

I also like Princess and know you don't since Carnival bought them - that's your right ... and so is my preference.

A COB is money in my pocket - NOT when it's for a limited number of cruises that I don't wish to take. Next April I'll be on Princess.

And, I still don't have my deposit back ... that's very irritating - and I don't have that cash in my pocket.

I think X handled this entire situation very badly.

Old August 19th, 2006, 12:37 PM
Cruise Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manuel
Hi:
As of this date, we were forced to book a Carnival cruise. How could Celebrity do this to us? We will miss the conceirge class, the champage greeting when boarding, the in-cabin breakfast and the overall service that Celebrity is famous for. But a cruise is a cruise and when April rolls around, after our New England winters, we are ready for the Carribean.
Let's hope that Celebrity will not be cancelling our Alaska cruise in July, '07 or we will really have a problem.

Manuel

P.S. thank you for the info CruzNut.
I was curious if you got the 12 night TA for the same price as the 10 night Caribbean, and was the flight back to the states included?
In other words did you have to put up more money, or get the cruise for the same price?
Old August 19th, 2006, 07:31 PM
Admiral

The TransAtlantic cruise was NOT one of the options! Just a limited number of Caribbean cruises.

Old August 20th, 2006, 01:12 AM
Cruise Maniac

In reading the post it looked like Celebrity was changing the cruise from a Caribbean cruise to a Transatlantic cruise. That would imply that those scheduled for the Caribbean would be going on a TA cruise.
The real thing is that Celebrity cancelled the Caribbean cruise and then started another cruise on the same day to be a TA cruise.
It would seem that Celebrity would let those persons that were booked on the Caribbean cruise go on the TA cruise if they desired. I guess the transatlantic flights back would not be covered.
I thought that a deposit was kind of a contract, but I guess if you can get your deposit back before a certain date, then they can cancel the cruise before a certian date without default.
Old August 20th, 2006, 07:20 PM
Admiral

"Scapel: The real thing is that Celebrity cancelled the Caribbean cruise and then started another cruise on the same day to be a TA cruise.
It would seem that Celebrity would let those persons that were booked on the Caribbean cruise go on the TA cruise if they desired. "

The way it works is that the original TA cruisers get the Caribbean cruise DATE and IF there's room, then they'll give the Caribbean cruisers a chance at the cabins BUT at the regular rate. The price of the Caribbean cruise does NOT transfer to the TA cruise.

Old August 20th, 2006, 08:27 PM
Admiral

CruiseNut,

The way it works is that the original TA cruisers get the Caribbean cruise DATE and IF there's room, then they'll give the Caribbean cruisers a chance at the cabins BUT at the regular rate. The price of the Caribbean cruise does NOT transfer to the TA cruise.

Transatlantic cruises are not exactly the most popular, so they usually have plenty of room and prices considerably less than Caribbean cruises. The fare for each of my 14-day Transatlantic cruises was about the same as for a seven night Caribbean cruise. Thus, I recommend checking out the availability and current fare for that itinerary if you want to cruise on that date rather than ass-u-m(e)-ing that its unavailable.

Norm.
Old August 21st, 2006, 01:32 PM
Admiral

I did not assume that it was unavailable ... I only reported how X was handling the people who had booked the cruise after the original Caribbean one.

I've done 4 trans-Atlantic cruises and have no desire to do more.

Old September 6th, 2006, 05:52 PM
First Mate

Sorry for those whose trips have been cancelled...would be helpful if they could put out a schedule of when other ships will be impacted both for Celeb & Royal Carib..many of us try to plan ahead. Having just experienced cuising with Cunard on QM2 we are definitely sticking with our two favorite lines! Good news if true that CDS remanants are gone from the lounge area--it would be a dream come true--it was really awful! They should also get rid of the cds store with its soft porn items & replace with something nice--maybe a bookstore with books & other nice items related to cruising
Old September 6th, 2006, 08:18 PM
Admiral

hcat,

They should also get rid of the cds store with its soft porn items & replace with something nice--maybe a bookstore with books & other nice items related to cruising

Unfortunately, the Cirque du Soleil shop probably is part of the original contract with Cirque du Soleil. I don't recall seeing any "soft porn" in the Cirque du Soleil shop aboard GTS Summit during my cruise to Alaska last year, but perhaps I missed it. In any case, the best remedy for that shop would be a complete boycott of it on the part of the passengers. If it's not moving any products, Cirque du Soleil will become very willing to agree to its closure..

More fundamentally, all cruise lines are looking to enhance their bottom lines with "onboard revenue" from as many new sources as they can conceive. The only thing that will stop this trend is if passengers start taking Nancy Reagan's advise to "just say NO" -- NO to charges for food (including "sucker" specialty restaurants), NO to ice cream that isn't free, NO to extra charges to check one's luggage with one's airline on the pier (which was FREE before the "9/11" attack), NO to charges for supposedly premium coffee, NO to charges for recreational activities, etc. So long as these facilities generate profit, they will proliferate and more will follow.

Norm.