Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Celebrity
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 4th, 2007, 06:13 PM
Beginner

Default Cruising on Century

Any recent travelers on Century (Celebrity)? How is the ship?
How smooth was the boarding/unboarding process at the Miami port? Is luggage checked for alcohol?
Any other advice or tips??
Thanks, SZ
Sponsored Links
Old January 4th, 2007, 11:28 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

Here's a couple of links that you should find interesting info on the Century. One is our Virtual Cruise from a sailing that just ended today.

The other is a report I did on the Century after a 2 day preview sailing on her in Nov.

http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=567519

http://www.cruisemates.com/articles/...entury2007.cfm
- The Kuki Side of Cruising-
A new Blog post every Wednesday
http://www.cruisemates.com/blog/author/kuki/
Old January 5th, 2007, 12:49 PM
Beginner

Thanks, that helps. Sounds like we're going to have fun!!
Do you really go through an x-ray machine?? or is it a metal detector??
Old January 5th, 2007, 02:06 PM
First Mate

DH wants to know if there is a place indoors to smoke cigars now that Michael's clubs are piano bars....
Old January 5th, 2007, 02:36 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Cigars can only be enjoyed on the outer, upper port decks. You will go through both a metal detector for yourself and a scanner for your carry on baggage.

Embarkation was fairly smooth at 11:30 a.m. and we disembarked at 8:30 a.m. and it was also quite smooth. It is a warehouse luggage pickup but I am quite used to it. Grab a porter and it will make your life easier.

You probably can get liquor on board if you pack it in your checked baggage and not your carry on. It is against cruise line policy to bring liquor on board.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old January 5th, 2007, 10:30 PM
Beginner

We're booked on the Century for the January 22nd 5 night sailing. I have a couple of questions that I was hoping could be answered here by the experts.

I've been informed round-trip transfers from Miami airport to the ship cost $28/person. We're curious if it's best to go ahead and do this or just hire a taxi to transport us. It's just me and hubby - so 2 adults.

I haven't been able to get prices yet, but I might be interested in a massage or two from the AquaSpa while onboard. Has anyone done this and do you have any recommendations? I'll be getting a pedicure and possible a manicure before the trip - so no need for any of that while onboard.

I understand there will be 1 formal, 2 informal and 2 casual dining nights. Hubby and I do not own any formal wear. If he wears a dark suit and I wear a dressy black velour pants and jacket with a silky blouse, will this be acceptable for the formal night? Does anyone know if there is a standard schedule as to which nights will be formal, etc.?

We're staying at the Miami Courtyard Beach Oceanfront prior to our cruise. Has anyone stayed here or have any comments - positive or negative?

We're renting an Avis rental car. I believe there is a place near our hotel where it could be returned instead of taking it back to the airport. Do you know if the hotel or anywhere near there might have shuttles to the ship?

I think that's it for now. I appreciate everyone's sharing of their knowledge and experience. It's really been fun reading about the New Year's Cruise and Kuki's "special" sailing in November.

Chrissy
Old January 6th, 2007, 11:18 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by hcat
DH wants to know if there is a place indoors to smoke cigars now that Michael's clubs are piano bars....
Believe it or not cabin or veranda, they are private areas and not under the regulations which are pretty much for the public areas.

Don
Old January 6th, 2007, 04:48 PM
Admiral

Chrissy,

Quote:
Originally Posted by You
I've been informed round-trip transfers from Miami airport to the ship cost $28/person. We're curious if it's best to go ahead and do this or just hire a taxi to transport us. It's just me and hubby - so 2 adults.
I honestly don't know what the taxi fare would be, but it probably will come to more than $28 each way when you include a tip.

And if you are staying in a hotel in Miami before the cruise, you need the transfer only one way so the price will be only $14/person.

Quote:
I understand there will be 1 formal, 2 informal and 2 casual dining nights. Hubby and I do not own any formal wear. If he wears a dark suit and I wear a dressy black velour pants and jacket with a silky blouse, will this be acceptable for the formal night? Does anyone know if there is a standard schedule as to which nights will be formal, etc.?
Your husband's DARK suit is fine.

I'm not so sure about your black velour pants. A full length skirt worn with a silk blouse and a jacket would be okay. Or, if you have a nice dress that you wear to weddings, funerals, and office Christmas parties, that also will work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by You
We're renting an Avis rental car. I believe there is a place near our hotel where it could be returned instead of taking it back to the airport.
Be careful. Under rental car company rules, returning the car to a different location than where you rented it may constitute a "one way" rental and therefore be subject to an additional charge.

Quote:
Originally Posted by You
Do you know if the hotel or anywhere near there might have shuttles to the ship?
Many hotels do have shuttle services that will transport passengers to nearby airports and often also to nearby shopping centers and restaurants. If so, the shuttle probably also will take you to the cruise terminal if it's nearby. Check with your hotel for details.

And if your hotel has an airport shuttle, you might save money by taking the shuttle to the hotel when you land and renting your car at the location near your hotel. Airports often impose surcharges on car rentals to cover the cost of facilities at the airport, and the car rental companies pass those charges on to their customers. By renting "in town" rather than at the airport, you avoid these airport charges.

Norm.
Old January 6th, 2007, 06:59 PM
First Mate

Just my opinion but I think velour will be a bit heavy for the caribbean--why not get a pair of black palazzo pants (they are all on sale now post New yrs ) & pair them with several sparkly tops-- a formal gown is not required & the black suit for men is fine...husb wears a sports jacket, slacks & tie for informal nights . You can call celeb for what night is what but it is subject to change along the way! Post when you get back--we are on this itin in April!
Old January 7th, 2007, 08:30 PM
Admiral

I was just on the Cruise of the Century and can answer a couple of your questions. Keep in mind that the transfer price is per person. A taxi would probably be about $24 plus tip for both of you.

I wore black pants and a sparkly top for our formal night and it was fine.

I also had my first massage on a ship. I had the Lime and Ginger Massage and it was WONDERFUL. It is a 75 minute treatment (you do have to shower in between the lime and ginger application and then the full body massage.
I had Paublo...and he was the best. I've had massages on land, but this was by far the best massage I've ever had.l It was $150.00, but well worth the money!!!!!!!
RCCL Allure of the Seas - September 18, 2011
Celebrity Eclipse - February 11, 2012:
RCCL Navigator OTS - February 9, 2013
Old January 21st, 2007, 02:35 PM
Beginner

cruised western carribean in 05 w/Century. Great time great ship and it's been refitted since our sail so you're gonna have a great time. We're sailing Eastern Carribean next week on the Millinium and are trying the Conceriege Class this time out. Extra bucks but supposed to have some nice added perks...we'll see. Be a bit cautious re: the shore excursions. I love Celebrity but their explainations of what tours are: i.e., swim w/the stingrays for example, really did not meet the reality. Lousy boat, poor equipment and a terrible after swim beach experience. Steve
Old January 23rd, 2007, 01:22 AM
Admiral

I wear a black velvet fancy pant suit for formal occasions - no problem ... and lots of the men wear dark suits rather than the tuxes.

I'd recommend taking a taxi to the ship - saves waiting around for a bus to fill up.

Had concierge class on the New Year's 5 night cruise ... not much to write home about, BUT did get flowers on the desk (changed once), a beautiful rose in the bathroom (died and never replaced), leather holders for your sail and sign card, at the very end of the cruise got a purse thing that turned into a shopping bag (would have been much more helpful at the beginning of the cruise). Never saw a pillow menu - but had already asked the steward for the goose down pillows (recommended by a friend who had had CC before), fancier robes, better breakfast menu (actually better than the penthouse suite) - but in either case, you can write in what you want. With CC, you also get a free bottle of champagne and a bowl of fresh fruit the first day ... and 6 canapes every night (2 are caviar).

Would not pay the extra again. Was supposed to get priority boarding and got there at noon - very officious man made everyone get in the same waiting line (said I should have been there earlier - when they recommend not getting there until 2 PM).

Food in the dining room was only so-so - but Murano's was outstanding - do try it!

Celebrity is more expensive drink-wise than my favorite line (Princess) so I suspect I will not sail with them again.

Because we were with a very large group (146) of CruiseMates, we got a lot of nice extras not normally given to cruisers.

This is just my opinion and by no means that you won't have a great time - you will because you'll be cruising. What could be better.

I cruise the Emerald Princess, Eastern Caribbean on April 16, 2012
Old January 23rd, 2007, 03:22 PM
Passenger

We are taking our first cruise in more than 20 years and on a longer cruise, I wouldn't be able to afford it but on the 5 day, I have chosen to get a Sky Suite. Can anyone advise what location is best for us to choose from for the location of our suite? Also, is it best to be nearer the pool? the dining room? etc.......Is aft or stern better than the side of the ship.? Sorry that some of my questions may be stupid but I am new to this. Thanks for your help.

Rick
Old January 24th, 2007, 11:24 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

Quote:
I have chosen to get a Sky Suite. Can anyone advise what location is best for us to choose from for the location of our suite? Also, is it best to be nearer the pool?
I think the sky suites aft on Deck 9 would be great. Deeper, and larger balconies.

As far as nude sunbathing... if you feel they are private enough, go for it.
- The Kuki Side of Cruising-
A new Blog post every Wednesday
http://www.cruisemates.com/blog/author/kuki/
Old January 25th, 2007, 02:07 PM
Passenger

We were given 1209 on the SPORT deck for our Sky Suite assignment. It does have the very large (142 sq ft) balcony). It appears to be a good location but if someone is more familiar with cruising, I'd be interested in their opinion.

Also, We have chosen the Holiday Inn at Bayside Market for our pre-cruise night. Will we be able to just walk over to the ship or how do we best handle that? Thanks.
Old January 29th, 2007, 11:58 AM
Admiral

RickJohn: It would be best to take a taxi to the ship. It would be quite a long walk.
RCCL Allure of the Seas - September 18, 2011
Celebrity Eclipse - February 11, 2012:
RCCL Navigator OTS - February 9, 2013
Old January 31st, 2007, 02:22 PM
First Mate

no way even the most fit person could do this walk with luggage of any type--cabs from that hotel are plentiful & cheap
Old January 31st, 2007, 07:32 PM
Captain

Hi,

We just got off the boat last Saturday, 01/27/2007. It was only a quick 5 day cruise but nice.

The boarding process was fantastic. We literally got on line to show passports etc and was on the ship in 10 minutes, no exaggeration.

The porters outside were quick and made sure you didn't leave without a tip!!!!! I brought a bottle of vodka on and it was never checked.

Go to Murano's restaurant. The food is fantastic and a nice break from the Grand Restaurant. The shows were actually good too this time around.

Be glad to answer any other questions you might have. We like Celebrity so much we booked another cruise in October on the Journey. 700 guests and 425 crew. Just how I/we like it.

Enjoy.
Inspiration -09/05
Mariner-05/06 & 10/09
Century-01/07
Crown-04/07
Liberty-11/07
Explorer-08/08
Insignia-11/08
Destiny-07/09
Oasis Inaugural Cruise-12/09
Monarch-03/10 & 07/10
Equinox-08/10
Freedom-02/2012
Mariner; RSS- 10/12
Jewel-12/12 b2b
Independence-12/13
Enchantment- 01/14
Legend-TA- 04/14

Booked:Freedom OTS 10/14
Booked:Solstice Alaska; 09/15

Old January 31st, 2007, 09:00 PM
Passenger

Is the Murano a "pay" restaurant? Are there any other eateries on board where you must pay? Is it hard to get reservations there if it is something that you address while on the cruise? Did you do any excursions that were well worth the price? Thanks.
Old January 31st, 2007, 09:06 PM
Admiral

Murano's is a pay restaurant - $30 per person which includes the tip. Suggest you book it as soon as you board as it only holds about 62 people and they stagger the reservation times. It's the only pay restaurant onboard. Largest table is for 6 (and they have two of them); smallest is for 2 and I'm not sure how many there are, but not many.

Can't help you with the excursions - sorry, didn't take any ... been there done that!

I cruise the Emerald Princess, Eastern Caribbean on April 16, 2012
Old February 12th, 2007, 01:43 PM
Beginner

We are sailing on Century on April 12, 2007 and I cant wait. With information gathered it appears we can bring two bottles of wine on board with us. Do they check? Should I put in our checked luggage? Also, we are in CC class on the Penthouse deck, how are those staterooms? What's the earliest we can get on the ship? Plane lands at 8:30am in Miami.
Old February 12th, 2007, 10:37 PM
Passenger

I cruised on Century B2B2B Jan 18, 22 27 th and I'm going back Feb. 19th for another 5 day cruise.
You can bring your alcohol in a carry on because it is not Celebrity doing the scanning. Be discrete however. We have never had our favorite beverage confiscated when boarding.

There is only one informal despite what the booklet says. The semi-dress up is for the Captain's club party and free cocktail on day four.

Each short trip has a character of its own. Many companies book large groups for their employee get together on board.