Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Celebrity
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old June 10th, 2007, 08:41 PM
Passenger

Default Recommended shore excursions for Infinity in Alaska?

My wife and I are taking our first cruise ever on Infinity in September. I was hoping to get some advice on which shore excursions to take, and which to avoid.
We probably aren't interested in the super expensive helicopter tours, but the Salmon bakes, rainforest hikes, nature walks, etc. sound interesting.

Our ports will be Juneau, Icy strait point, and Ketchikan.

Alaska Cruise on the Celebrity Infinity 09.02.2007
Sponsored Links
Old June 11th, 2007, 11:23 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

The Salmon Bakes in Ketchikan are amongst the most popular shore excursions in Alaska. As are the whale watching boats out of Juneau.

I'd recommend doing at least one "adventure excursion" while in Alaska, despite the high costs. Where else can you take a helicopter, and land and walk around on a glacier, or go dog sledding on glaciel ice.... or watch bears fishing along river?
Old June 11th, 2007, 08:31 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Recommended shore excursions for Infinity in Alaska?

Humuhumu57,

Quote:
Originally Posted by You
My wife and I are taking our first cruise ever on Infinity in September. I was hoping to get some advice on which shore excursions to take, and which to avoid.
We probably aren't interested in the super expensive helicopter tours, but the Salmon bakes, rainforest hikes, nature walks, etc. sound interesting.

Our ports will be Juneau, Icy strait point, and Ketchikan.
In Ketchikan, the tour of Saxman Village is worthwhile. Beyond that, you can tour the town on your own since the warf is right on the town's main street.

In Juneau, you also can see much of the town on your own since the city is very walkable. The free tour of the capital building is quite interesting, and two churches on the next block -- St. Nicholas Church (Russian Orthodox) and the Cathedral of the Nativity of the Virgin Mary (Roman Catholic) have some interesting artwork that make them worth a visit. Also, the base of the Mount Roberts Tramway is right next to the pier so you can take the tram up the mountain for some great vistas if it's a clear day. IIRC, there's also an excursion to the gold fields where on which you actually pan for gold.

Hoonah ("Icy Strait Point" on the itinerary) does not have as much to offer as many of the other ports, as it's a relativly new port of call. The tour of the cannery is interesting, and they have a troupe of indigenous dancers who perform on the cannery's landing.

Norm.
Old June 24th, 2007, 06:32 PM
First Mate

I was on the Summit in May to Alaska and I would suggest the following:

All excursions were booked with Celebrity.

Ketchikan - Jet Boat out of Salmon Falls. This was a great excursion to see the interior Ketchikan. They bussed us to a wonderful fishing resort called Salmon Falls. It's done in log cabin style and the proprietors and staff were great. They took all 8 of us (the boat held about 40) on a great jet boat excursion through the lakes and inlets. The wildlife was great. After we returned to the lodge, they had coffee, tea, hot chocolate and hot baked cookies. They gave us the history of the lodge and there of course was a gift shop. They had some great totem poles as well. they. They bussed us back to the port and the both bus tours was narrated by the drivers.

Juneau - You must do the floatplane in Juneau. This company is Wings and have been doing this for many years. We had the perfect day. We were in a plane that held five of us. They flew us over our ship then over the glaciers, ice fields and we flew right through Mendanhaul glacier coming back. All I can say is WOW, this flight is the only way to see the interior mountains and glaciers.

I was in Hawaii in December and also was on the Summit and did a helicoptor over the Hana Highway and the Volcano in Maui BUT this floatplane was much better.

If you are going to Skagway as well I would suggest the 8-hour trip to the Yukon and then the two hour White Pass Railway back to town. Another wonderful way to see the interior.

My advice would be spend the excusion money on seeing the inland portions of Alaska by boat and air, you won't regret it.

You can always go to a salmon bake in the evening and do the floatplane in the morning in Juneau.

Hope this helps you decide.
2005 Millenium, Voyager of the Seas, Jewel of the Seas B2B
2004 Explorer of the Seas, Constellation (Canada/New England)
2003 Horizon (Bermuda), Summit
2002 Explorer of the Seas, Brilliance of the Seas (Caribbean)
Old June 30th, 2007, 04:03 AM
Passenger

Thanks everyone for your replies!
Anyone ever done the snorkeling excursion?

Alaska Cruise on the Celebrity Infinity 09.02.2007
Old June 30th, 2007, 06:13 PM
Admiral

We were recently in Alaska and I really wanted to do a seaplane tour. It didn't work out on this trip, but I have every intention of doing it in September when we cruise again. I think it will be awesome to see Alaska from that vantage point.
RCCL Allure of the Seas - September 18, 2011
Celebrity Eclipse - February 11, 2012:
RCCL Navigator OTS - February 9, 2013
Old July 3rd, 2007, 05:59 PM
Passenger

We took the Infinity two years ago and liked it so much we are going back in two weeks!

In Juneau I recommend whale watching. We booked ourselves - Captain Larry. It was wonderful. And as was stated, the town is all very accessible on foot.

In Ketchikan we did the tour with the inflatable motorized raft and hike in the forest. It was alot of fun, and not too strenuous if you are worried about that. We also self-booked the Ducks tour which was also alot of fun (but don't book the early one - we docked late and missed the tour, although the tour company was wonderful and helped us board mid-way through). Previously, my son and some relatives took the canoe and hiking excursion and really liked that as well.

In Icy Strait I don't know what to say. There is really very little to do. We are thinking of trying the whale watching cruise. Last time they stopped in Sitka, which we loved. Were very disappointed that they dropped that for Icy Strait. The town is nothing much to speak of, but we walked there (while on the Summit) and enjoyed conversing with the locals.